Hello from Athens, Greece

M1ts0s

Hey guys, good to be here! I'm Dimitris from Athens, Greece, I got my first e-bike two weeks ago and I have already put 250 km to it. My bike is a Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 2018 model, I got it second hand with 330 km on the odometer and as new condition, I mainly use it to commute to work in central Athens, a 30 km round trip. The bike is good, I manage the commute even though I haven't ridden a bike for almost 20 years and I'm overweight, in my late 40's and unfit. Before getting the Cube I have also tried a Greek made Ideal e-bike with Shimano 6000 drivetrain, it felt a little stronger than the Cube which has a Bosch Active Line Plus motor but it wasn't as well made and wasn't as comfortable so i decided on the Cube.

Commuting by bike in Greece is a bit tough, there are virtually no bike lanes and people are generally afraid to ride a bike for long distances sharing the road with faster moving cars. However, I have found from my very limited experience that motorists generally respect you and watch out for you if you ride responsibly and in a consistent and assertive way. I also feel much safer night riding with my various flashing-steady and helmet lights, people seem to notice me better.

I'm happy to be here and hope to learn and help in any way I can. Cheers guys!

Hey guys, good to be here! I'm Dimitris from Athens, Greece, I got my first e-bike two weeks ago and I have already put 250 km to it. My bike is a Cube Touring Hybrid One 400 2018 model, I got it second hand with 330 km on the odometer and as new condition, I mainly use it to commute to work in central Athens, a 30 km round trip. The bike is good, I manage the commute even though I haven't ridden a bike for almost 20 years and I'm overweight, in my late 40's and unfit. Before getting the Cube I have also tried a Greek made Ideal e-bike with Shimano 6000 drivetrain, it felt a little stronger than the Cube which has a Bosch Active Line Plus motor but it wasn't as well made and wasn't as comfortable so i decided on the Cube.

Commuting by bike in Greece is a bit tough, there are virtually no bike lanes and people are generally afraid to ride a bike for long distances sharing the road with faster moving cars. However, I have found from my very limited experience that motorists generally respect you and watch out for you if you ride responsibly and in a consistent and assertive way. I also feel much safer night riding with my various flashing-steady and helmet lights, people seem to notice me better.

I'm happy to be here and hope to learn and help in any way I can. Cheers guys!
Welcome Dimitris, my wife and I have spent time in your beautiful city a few years back. We have traveled extensively and Athens was a wonder to us. We recall seeing scooters zigging and zagging carrying a flat of Starbucks in one hand and a portable telephone pressed to an ear using a shoulder...a talent indeed. Hope your new ride keeps a big grin on your face.

Welcome Dimitris, my wife and I have spent time in your beautiful city a few years back. We have traveled extensively and Athens was a wonder to us. We recall seeing scooters zigging and zagging carrying a flat of Starbucks in one hand and a portable telephone pressed to an ear using a shoulder...a talent indeed. Hope your new ride keeps a big grin on your face.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeap, they do drive in this manner, thought most of them, wondrously, respect other two wheeled road users.

Back