Hello from ABQ NM

jhoblo

Hello from drive-thru territory!

Not much in the way of ebike shops around here, so advise is what I’m looking for.
I’ve gained tooo much weight in recent years (well, about 80 lbs since I bought a car as a replacement for my bike.)
There are many very nice ebikes that I won’t buy because this town is full of thieves. I’m finishing a graduate program and I’ve heard of students having their bikes stolen in less than 5 minutes on campus. Thieves don’t care- by the time the campus police show up, the bike and thief are gone.

I like folding bikes, but the only one that I can tell will carry my 250 lbs plus groceries, laundry, etc. would be the RadMIni. Initially the added rolling resistance of fat tires was a no-go, but then I remember the times I used to have to walk my regular mountain bike on sandy trails. The second thing that bothers me is this place is goat head thorn heaven. Some years they’re soooo bad, I was fixing at least a flat a week, and that was with tire liners and slime. Slime and winter suck. Schwalbe Marathons are slow, but worth it since I’ve never had a goat head flat with them.

So, my first question is for those who have owned a RadMIni for awhile- how has the frame held up? Especially the folding mechanism on the handlebar stem?
What do you do for tire protection? How well does it work?
Has anyone done a BBSHD conversion after the warranty period was over? What did you do with the rear hub? Was it a fairly straightforward conversion?
Do you think that there may be another choice for a sturdy folding bike that I’m not aware of? Yeah, I briefly considered a Bike Friday diamond frame conversion, but that would cost too much for too little benefit. I’m just too fat now for anything other than a burly bike.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Thanks, but the rider weight limit for those is 250 lbs, and I will go over that. The Mariner only has a 500 W motor (I’m a little confused if it is the same motor as the 750 that Rad Power uses, since they had it re-branded from 500 to 750.) I do like the customer service that Rad Power provides, unlike with the Sondors bike. If I go it alone, I might as well do a BBSHD conversion myself.

A fellow ebiker in ABQ!

I've had my two Radrovers since 2016 and just purchased a Radcity Step-Thru at the end of May. My rovers have done so much better when I changed out the Kenda tires and adding Mr. Tuffy liners and Stans tire sealant. That combo along with Vee8 26X4 120tpi tires has greatly reduced flats from goatheads. I still get the occasional flat; but, usually from road debris on my work commute from the westside to near downtown (glass, nails, screws, parts from car accidents, etc...).

There are 20X4 tire replacements for the Radmini if you going to ride mostly urban. That will cut down on road noise, faster acceleration, higher sustained speeds, and extend battery range.

I weigh in at +270lbs, +75lbs for my Rover with accessories (rack, panniers, suspension seatpost, light, etc...), and I use a commuter backpack on work days for another 10-15lbs. Both the Radrover and Radmini have the same rear hub and I've never felt the rover was under powered on my daily commute. Even in our 10-15 mph constant headwinds and gust of +20 mph hasn't slowed me down from maintaining double-digit speeds even on inclines.

Since I have two Rovers, hit me up if you want to test ride to get a feel of how the powertrain feels since the Rover and Mini are identical. You can even test ride the Radcity to see the difference between a direct hub and geared hub on acceleration and hills.

Red or Green?

I miss Sadies, Garcia's, and The Frontier, but I do not miss the Goatheads. I had 3 flats in one day. I loved riding down from Rio Rancho and taking the trail through the bosque along the Rio Grande. I could coast most of the way, but it was a long afternoon going back up.

Welcome

Back