hello from a food courier and DIYer in TO canada

electricfun

Hi everyone thought I'd post an intro considering I've been around here asking questions in other parts of the forum!

I live downtown and work about 20-30 hr a week as a food courier on few apps. I like this job as it pays good money and offers decent flexibility. I quit my job in the clothing manufacturing industry for this. I had no interest in making clothes I don't like. I taught myself how to sew and follow patterns as a preteen, but did not decide to pursue a fashion education till my mid 20s, basically I wanted credentials so I could be taken seriously when applying for fashion jobs even though I already had the skills. I had long hours and a long commute. I felt bad for my dog. I started to hate sewing/designing clothes. I quit and never looked back once I figured out food delivery paid better and allowed me to pursue other interests and be home to walk my dog.

Around that same time that I quit my depressing job I started doing micro soldering on electronics. When I was in college taking fashion courses years beforehand I was really into wearables- mainly lighting stuff up with LEDs. I did a bit of self learning and attending meetings/groups and learned a bit about micro controllers, arduino etc. I think I got into this and did alright because I sorta had a basis in this stuff- my parents owned an appliance repair shop and basically taught me more about fixing household appliances then I care to know and I had taken a few courses on computer programming back in my late teens/early 20s in university. I don't care about stoves, but when I see clothing that lights up or plays gifs I get excited. I started fixing phones that were boot looping, backlights dying etc. A few years ago my friend was going to toss out his cell phone and drop almost $1000 on a new one and I told him "don't! It's fixable. Give it to me and I'll fix and find someone who wants it". The phone was overheating and looping so I removed the chip and effected cap, replaced the cap and reballed the chip and then added a heat sink. Took a few weeks to get my parts in the mail but when buddy saw me with the phone working weeks later he was amazed.

I do the same with my bikes. I do a bit of research, go places where other DIYers go and spend time learning. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in libraries, now I scour the net and youtube with a once in a while trip to a library. I'm sorta stubborn too- i don't quit till I figure things out. I'm so bad about this too- I'm known to stay up all night tinkering!

Basically I'm very inquisitive and not afraid to try and solve problems. Almost to a fault. I got my first lithium ion powered bike last year after much convincing from my courier friends who had them. Stromer st1 platinum. I love mine!

That's so awesome the tinkering around with phones is a hobbies of mine as well I'm currently a material quality inspector at my job and do mess around with stencils except not for cloth instead for chairs lol anyways welcome!!

Interesting bio! I like wearable leds and have done capes, fiber optics and led hula hoops before becoming interested in ebikes. I have ciombined the two a bit in building lighting and POV displays on bikes. My passion however is cargo bikes and am building a hybrid schwin/hybike ebike. After adding pvc ammo battery boxes and a cammo paint scheme it became "Mad Maxine". Building the li ion batteries is next- just built a spot welder from a micro wave transformer with a dual spot control circuit (actually the 2nd build because the first controller came up with a Chinese dislpay LOL)

Attachments

• 20180331_115024_1522522629048.jpeg
    20180331_115024_1522522629048.jpeg
    166 KB · Views: 583
Hi everyone thought I'd post an intro considering I've been around here asking questions in other parts of the forum!

I live downtown and work about 20-30 hr a week as a food courier on few apps. I like this job as it pays good money and offers decent flexibility. I quit my job in the clothing manufacturing industry for this. I had no interest in making clothes I don't like. I taught myself how to sew and follow patterns as a preteen, but did not decide to pursue a fashion education till my mid 20s, basically I wanted credentials so I could be taken seriously when applying for fashion jobs even though I already had the skills. I had long hours and a long commute. I felt bad for my dog. I started to hate sewing/designing clothes. I quit and never looked back once I figured out food delivery paid better and allowed me to pursue other interests and be home to walk my dog.

Around that same time that I quit my depressing job I started doing micro soldering on electronics. When I was in college taking fashion courses years beforehand I was really into wearables- mainly lighting stuff up with LEDs. I did a bit of self learning and attending meetings/groups and learned a bit about micro controllers, arduino etc. I think I got into this and did alright because I sorta had a basis in this stuff- my parents owned an appliance repair shop and basically taught me more about fixing household appliances then I care to know and I had taken a few courses on computer programming back in my late teens/early 20s in university. I don't care about stoves, but when I see clothing that lights up or plays gifs I get excited. I started fixing phones that were boot looping, backlights dying etc. A few years ago my friend was going to toss out his cell phone and drop almost $1000 on a new one and I told him "don't! It's fixable. Give it to me and I'll fix and find someone who wants it". The phone was overheating and looping so I removed the chip and effected cap, replaced the cap and reballed the chip and then added a heat sink. Took a few weeks to get my parts in the mail but when buddy saw me with the phone working weeks later he was amazed.

I do the same with my bikes. I do a bit of research, go places where other DIYers go and spend time learning. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in libraries, now I scour the net and youtube with a once in a while trip to a library. I'm sorta stubborn too- i don't quit till I figure things out. I'm so bad about this too- I'm known to stay up all night tinkering!

Basically I'm very inquisitive and not afraid to try and solve problems. Almost to a fault. I got my first lithium ion powered bike last year after much convincing from my courier friends who had them. Stromer st1 platinum. I love mine!
Hey foodie/courier. One of my planned projects is an espresso cart/bicycle trailer. It seems the coffee cart can be made as a trailer or joined to a bike making a tricycle. I have seem a bike cart by a company called "Wheely's". Good idea. I don'

Hey foodie/courier. One of my planned projects is an espresso cart/bicycle trailer. It seems the coffee cart can be made as a trailer or joined to a bike making a tricycle. I have seem a bike cart by a company called "Wheely's". Good idea. I don't know if you use a cargo bike or trailer to deliver food but they both have possibilities. Good luck

Back