Hello All! Just bought my first ebike

MrCaspan

Hey everyone, Just bought my first ebike and I am so excited to use this thing to commute to work each day. We have 2 cars in the household and I really wanted to see if we could live without one of them to help cut our carbon. I was going to take the bus each day but that's 1 hour each way to and from work and that's only if you want to leave exactly when the bus leaves and it shows up exactly when you need to be there. If not it adds even more time to the trip, more like 1 hour 30 minutes. It's an option but I needed something more on demand.

My commute was about 13km so I started to look at options. I was first looking at a moped but realized if I was going to go green it would be nice to save a few dollars if I could. One less car meant no insurance, no gas, no maintenance. So by my calculations that was about $340 CDN a month savings ($90 for insurance, $100 for gas, $150 for maintenance) So if I could cut these costs that is a hug savings each month...

So I started looking at mopeds and quickly found they can be expensive and it didn't really give you a lot of options when it comes to using it outside of commuting lets say for luxury or sport. You are forced to use them in the bike lane on the road, you need proper insurance, and a full helmet. They can do a max of 40 km/h which is only 8km above what a class 2 Ebike can do.

So when I compared that to an ebike it was, no insurance, cheaper price, you can ride it just about anywhere you want legally. It was a no brainer for me and I decided to go with an ebike.

Now came the big decision, which company and what type. I went to a great bike store called CycleElectric in Waterloo, ON (Canada). The guy Mitch there answered every question I had and was not ticked off I had so many! I took out a iGo Discovery Berry and fell in love with ebikes. Now to be honest my first though was this thing is ugly. I'm so used to North American bike styles it just did not look right. I was used to that diamond frame. The looks grew on me so I spent the weekend learning as much as I can about the company that made this bike and other bikes. iGo was based in Montreal and was a Canadian company and the bike was designed in Canada. This almost wrote the cheque for me..

Now it was time to get wife approval. We were talking about this for the last few months. It was an easy decision for her as well after telling her all the info I leaned over the weekend. So I pulled the trigger on the iGo Discovery Atwater . I paid just under $3000 for it which was higher then MSRP and what I could have got it for from the manufacturers site but the fact that I am supporting a local bike shop that will be there for me for all my questions and needs it was not hard to justify the extra costs (I've made 4 calls to them already) Also its end of season and everywhere even the site is also sold out!! They have 5 ebikes left, so if I didn't get one now I would be waiting till March of 2021.

I am now a happy Ebike owner and can't wait to get up in the mornings to ride it. I figure in Canada I have about 2-3 more months of ridding before I have to put it away for the winter and take the bus as my main transportation. My work supports doing "e" anything so they have a lock up inside for my bike and will let me charge it there. On a rainy day I take the bus to and from or if it rains half way through the day I take the bus home then back to work. And if I need to get somewhere FAST that's what Uber is for. I have not calculated the cost on charging the battery yet so I can do a proper cost comparison to our car but I am hoping to quantify the hole process for others to use as an example if it will save you money and how much!

I thought I would join the forum to maybe get some help and advice.

Last edited:
Welcome to EBR, it’s nice to have you. Ebikes are growing exponentially around the world, especially in the U.S.A. and Canada. It seems like we got a late start. You made a smart move to purchase from your LBS. you’ll always have the support that you need. Good luck and stay safe.

Hey everyone, Just bought my first ebike and I am so excited to use this thing to comute to work each day with. We have 2 cars in the household and I really wanted to see if we could live without one of them to help cut our carbon. I was going to take the bus each day but that 1 hour each way to and from work and that only if you want to leave exactly when the bus leaves and it shows up exactly when you need to be there. It's an option but I needed something more on demand.

My commute was about km so I started to look at options. I was first looking at a moped but realized if I was going to go green it would be nice to save a few dollars if I could. One less car meant no insurance, no gas, no maintnace. So by my calculations that was about $340 CDN a month savings ($90 for insurance, $100 for gas, $150 for maintenance)

So if I could cut these costs that is a hug savings each month...

So I started at mopeds and quickly found they are expensive and didn't really give you a lot of options. You were forced to only use them in the bike lane on the road, you need proper insurance, and a full helmet. They can do a max of 40 km/h which is only 8km above what a class 2 Ebike can do.

So looking at an Ebike I was like, no insurance, cheeper, can ride it just about anywhere even off road. It was a no brainer for me and I decided to go with an Ebike.

Now came the big decision, which company and what type. I went to a great bike store called Electric Cycle in Waterloo, ON. The guy Mitch there answered every question I had and was not ticked off I had so many! I took out an iGo Discovery Berry and fell in love with ebikes. Now to be honest my first though was this thing is ugly. I'm so used to North American bike styles it just did not look right. I was used to that diamond frame. So I spent the weekend learning as much as I can about the company. It was based in Montreal and a Canadian company and the bike was designed in Canada. This almost wrote the cheque for me..

Now it was time to get wife approval. We were talking about this for the last few months. It was an easy decision for her as well after telling her all the info I leaned over the weekend. So I pulled the trigger on a iGo Discovery Atwater . I paid just under $3000 for it which was higher then MSRP but the fact that I am supporting a local bike shop that will be there for me for all my questions and needs it was not hard to justify the extra costs (I've made 4 calls to them already)

So now I am a happy Ebike owner and can't wait to get up in the morning to ride it. I figure in Canada here I have about 2-3 more months of ridding before I have to put it away for the winter and take the bus.

So I thought I would join the forum to maybe get some help and advice.
Nice looking bike...and a 500w motor!

You've chosen a great forum to join.

Nice looking bike...and a 500w motor!

You've chosen a great forum to join.

Going back and forth to work I am surprised how well this thing handles hills and the battery usage. On a full charge and throttle only to work I loose 3 out of 10 bars. If I do some assisted peddling then battery is even better. Driving took me about 22-25 minutes depending on traffic. Over the last week commuting to work and home i got about 32-37 minutes so not that much of a difference!

Been watching some youtube channels at times, some Folks in congested areas get to work faster than using a 4 wheeler, enjoy the heck out of your purchase.

Yeah if I push it to 44 km/h with peddling I have shaved that time to 28 min (fastest) I love this bike and I am excited when i get to take it to work and sad when its a rainy day!

Hey everyone, Just bought my first ebike and I am so excited to use this thing to commute to work each day. We have 2 cars in the household and I really wanted to see if we could live without one of them to help cut our carbon. I was going to take the bus each day but that's 1 hour each way to and from work and that's only if you want to leave exactly when the bus leaves and it shows up exactly when you need to be there. If not it adds even more time to the trip, more like 1 hour 30 minutes. It's an option but I needed something more on demand.

My commute was about 13km so I started to look at options. I was first looking at a moped but realized if I was going to go green it would be nice to save a few dollars if I could. One less car meant no insurance, no gas, no maintenance. So by my calculations that was about $340 CDN a month savings ($90 for insurance, $100 for gas, $150 for maintenance) So if I could cut these costs that is a hug savings each month...

So I started looking at mopeds and quickly found they can be expensive and it didn't really give you a lot of options when it comes to using it outside of commuting lets say for luxury or sport. You are forced to use them in the bike lane on the road, you need proper insurance, and a full helmet. They can do a max of 40 km/h which is only 8km above what a class 2 Ebike can do.

So when I compared that to an ebike it was, no insurance, cheaper price, you can ride it just about anywhere you want legally. It was a no brainer for me and I decided to go with an ebike.

Now came the big decision, which company and what type. I went to a great bike store called CycleElectric in Waterloo, ON (Canada). The guy Mitch there answered every question I had and was not ticked off I had so many! I took out a iGo Discovery Berry and fell in love with ebikes. Now to be honest my first though was this thing is ugly. I'm so used to North American bike styles it just did not look right. I was used to that diamond frame. The looks grew on me so I spent the weekend learning as much as I can about the company that made this bike and other bikes. iGo was based in Montreal and was a Canadian company and the bike was designed in Canada. This almost wrote the cheque for me..

Now it was time to get wife approval. We were talking about this for the last few months. It was an easy decision for her as well after telling her all the info I leaned over the weekend. So I pulled the trigger on the iGo Discovery Atwater . I paid just under $3000 for it which was higher then MSRP and what I could have got it for from the manufacturers site but the fact that I am supporting a local bike shop that will be there for me for all my questions and needs it was not hard to justify the extra costs (I've made 4 calls to them already) Also its end of season and everywhere even the site is also sold out!! They have 5 ebikes left, so if I didn't get one now I would be waiting till March of 2021.

I am now a happy Ebike owner and can't wait to get up in the mornings to ride it. I figure in Canada I have about 2-3 more months of ridding before I have to put it away for the winter and take the bus as my main transportation. My work supports doing "e" anything so they have a lock up inside for my bike and will let me charge it there. On a rainy day I take the bus to and from or if it rains half way through the day I take the bus home then back to work. And if I need to get somewhere FAST that's what Uber is for. I have not calculated the cost on charging the battery yet so I can do a proper cost comparison to our car but I am hoping to quantify the hole process for others to use as an example if it will save you money and how much!

I thought I would join the forum to maybe get some help and advice.

When you have to put the bike away for winter, buy a truck and put it away in Spring.

@Taylor57 I thought about doing this with the 2nd car we already have, but I decided to take the bus in the winter or if its raining and an Uber if I have to get somewhere quick! The whole point was to save the cost of a 2nd vehicle for maintenance, insurance, gas.. As well it was also to be more environmentally friendly. If I can save money and help cut my carbon its just a win win!!

@Taylor57 I thought about doing this with the 2nd car we already have, but I decided to take the bus in the winter or if its raining and an Uber if I have to get somewhere quick! The whole point was to save the cost of a 2nd vehicle for maintenance, insurance, gas.. As well it was also to be more environmentally friendly. If I can save money and help cut my carbon its just a win win!!

I remember taking the bus in the LA area in the 80's and it was a disaster. Still remember a drunk guy forcing me to take a drink of wine from his paper sack covered wine bottle. I was on my way to sell shoes in the summer of 86 in Long Beach from Manhattan Beach. Maybe it's better where you live...

I remember taking the bus in the LA area in the 80's and it was a disaster. Still remember a drunk guy forcing me to take a drink of wine from his paper sack covered wine bottle. I was on my way to sell shoes in the summer of 86 in Long Beach from Manhattan Beach. Maybe it's better where you live...
Haha wow that is a little crazy man!! Yeah our public transportation system is great here. Is like population of 400K so its large enough to warrant good transportation but not so large the crazies have come out :)

Congrats on the new way of life, be careful out there, and WEAR A HELMET! Looks like a great bike!😎👍

I have already had to give a few cars a knock on the trunk as they are blocking the bike lane while turning right waiting for the light and there are 2 cars ahead of them. Some people that drive cars just don't even care bikers exist!

I have already had to give a few cars a knock on the trunk as they are blocking the bike lane while turning right waiting for the light and there are 2 cars ahead of them. Some people that drive cars just don't even care bikers exist!
Ride like you are invisible because to them you are!😳

Back