Heart Rate Monitoring pairing

jmarietta4900

Hello, I have a new Turbo Como. I am trying to pair a Wahoo Tickr heart rate monitor (older version see pic) with my TCD and MC app. It will either pair with one or the other but not both so I am guessing the version of Tickr I own only pairs with one device at a time. Do I need a Heart Monitor that will pair with at least two bluetooth connections simultaneously? Thanks

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    24.9 KB · Views: 127
Thanks for the response. Are you saying that I can use ANT+ to connect the TCD and bluetooth to connect MC on the iPhone simultaneously? I tried using ANT+ on with the TCD and it appeared to pair but I was not sure since the name TICKR did not appear on the screen like it does appear when I pair the monitor with TCD under bluetooth. So far I have never been able to see a heart rate METRIC to select under custom display.

Thanks for the response. Are you saying that I can use ANT+ to connect the TCD and bluetooth to connect MC on the iPhone simultaneously? I tried using ANT+ on with the TCD and it appeared to pair but I was not sure since the name TICKR did not appear on the screen like it does appear when I pair the monitor with TCD under bluetooth. So far I have never been able to see a heart rate METRIC to select under custom display.
it should but I don't know much about how specialized works. but most HRMS now do both. only a few have two bluetooth channels.

ANT+ is a "broadcast" type of signal so can be picked up by any number of devices simultaneously.

There is a comparison table in the DC Rainmaker review of the 2020 Tickr. The original 2014 model has one Bluetooth and one ant + channel and is Dual concurrent ANT+/BLE. Did you try to pair to the phone app first which would use the Bluetooth channel and then pair to the TCD which should just have the ANT+ available? Also try pairing the HR strap to the phone while being at least 30 ft away from the bike. I would expect any of the current versions of the Wahoo Tickr HR straps will connect much easier than the older 2014 model due to improved hardware and firmware.

The Specialized support site has a lot of good info. There are now a couple of different model years of Como so it helps if you identify the model year as well.

Thanks everyone for the help. I have a 2022 Turbo Como. I believe I do have the 2014 Tickr (HRM). I tried multiple times/methods to pair it. First with MC on the Bluetooth/iPhone, then with TCD/ANT+ in that order and then I reversed the order. The HRM will show up paired in MC under preferences/Devices but when I go to TUNE/CUSTOM DISPLAY/ in MC to find the "heart rate" metric, it never shows up. The issue with the bike/TCD is the following: I can pair via bluetooth and the actual name of the HRM is seen on the TCD screen, but when I use ANT+ the name of the HRM does NOT come up on the TCD screen even though the TCD still states it was paired. The bottomline is that even when I think both are paired simultaneously, I have yet to be able to select a "heart rate" metic in MC so I can see HR on the TCD.

I think you are correct in that I need a newer version of the HRM. I don't like chest straps and rather get an optical HRM. I may try the Polar Verity Sense which has 2 simultaneous bluetooth connections along with ANT+. I would also like to try the Polar OH-1 or the Tickr Fit but they only have ONE bluetooth connection with ANT+. I guess the bottomline do I need a HRM with more than one Bluetooth simultaneous connections or is it enough to have one BT an one ANT+? I don't know.

ya it may be time. the polar is a tiny thing but you have to take it out of its holder and put it into an adaptor to charge and battery life is only 8 hours I think. thats the oh-1 looks like the new one is still one you have to take out but longer battery life.

Personally I ride a 2021 Creo with a standard TCU using a Garmin 1040 head unit and Garmin HRM-PRO with an extender strap for comfort, so I am looking at this for curiosity rather than personal Como experience.

Support.Specialized.com - Using Mission Control with the MasterMind TCU:

Watch "How to Pair a Heart Rate Monitor to a MasterMind TCU | Specialized Turbo Ebikes" from the list. Did you "remove" or "forget" the HR strap in between attempts to make sure it was a fresh pairing?

It also looks like you may need to customize the Mastermind TCD-w screen using Mission Control.

Polar Verity Sense review. The current model is rated at a 20 hr battery life. The go to place for any activity sports device review is dcrainmaker.com.

Hi, yes, I have disconnected/unpaired numerous times. Yes I have attempted to customize the TCD but "heart rate" never comes up as a selection in metrics. Thanks

Hi, yes, I have disconnected/unpaired numerous times. Yes I have attempted to customize the TCD but "heart rate" never comes up as a selection in metrics. Thanks
Probably time for a more up to date HR sensor with a newer BT chip. Rider power is a much better way to see how much effort you're doing although you need to watch HR and Pwr together for a while to see what's normal for you. HR is like the coolant temp in your car, by the time it goes in the red you are already cooked where the Pwr tells you if you are lugging the engine. I usually display 3s Pwr in a large window with the HR in a small window.

I purchased both a NEW Wahoo Tickr FIT and a NEW Polar OH-1. I could get neither to show heart rate on the TCD-w display on my Turbo Como. Where are the instructions for this. I have scoured the Specialized support website for both mission control and Turbo Como. so frustrated!

I don't use Mission Control for rides but I have seen a comment that for some models you need to connect the HR to MC. I was able to pair my HR to MC by connecting to my Creo, Ride, Smart Control, turn on Smart Control (normally off for me), Select HR for control. It then said no sensors connected tap screen and connected my Garmin HR. Once you have MC running you should be able to go to Tune and modify your display if it's available for your model.

The YouTube video at the top of the Turbo page is a quick review:

What heart rate devices are able to connect with Mission Control?

Mission Control has the functionality to connect with BLE heart rate monitor devices supporting the Bluetooth® “Heart Rate” GATT service specification. Specialized recommends using heart rate monitor straps and no other devices (wearables, headphones or similar).

I am experiencing heart rate connectivity issues. What should I do?

Please follow the following steps:

Ensure that you have the latest version of Mission Control installed on your device.
Remove previously connected bikes from both the Mission Control app and your phone Bluetooth devices.
Restart the pairing process. This may resolve the issues you are experiencing.

If the issue still persists, please complete our Specialized Connectivity questionnaire so we can help you solve these issues as soon as possible:

Last edited:
The problem I had was an embarrassing one. I was not properly scrolling the menu to select metrics in mission control. Each metric has a group title with 2-5 selections below it. If you try to scroll by pressing on the metic selections scrolling will not work. You have to scroll by pressing on the group title for each specific metric. Once I figured this out, I found the "heart rate" metric and selected it. I was doing all the other stuff such as paring etc. correctly all along.

Back