Headlights???

If you ride in traffic this is an especially important point. Bright hand held flashlights and most inexpensive bike lights don't shape their beams to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Traffic that's blinded by your head light can't see you. Not a good thing for the cyclist.

99.9% of my riding is on trails, including night rides. I would never use a powerful flashlight for on road riding. For that, I use the stock 400 lumen bike mounted light. Even on trails or in tunnels, I have to be watchful for the rare occurrence of meeting an oncoming rider when using a powerful light.

One of the best valued headlights I have found is the Magicshine MJ 900 1200 Lumens for 60 bucks...You really cant beat that deal for lumens per dollar value + it has a wide beam but I am not sure about beam cutoff.

Now that I am rechecking headlights again, a lot of them are not in stock any more and have a long wait to get them in...kinda glad I got mine when I did

Last edited:
One of the best valued headlights I have found is the Magicshine MJ 900 1200 Lumens for 60 bucks...You really cant beat that deal for lumens per dollar value + it has a wide beam but I am not sure about beam cutoff.

Now that I am rechecking headlights again, a lot of them are not in stock any more and have a long wait to get them in...kinda glad I got mine when I did
My sons have Magicshine lights. No beam cutoff with the standard model, but there are alternate lenses available that will do this

Exposure make some great lights. Highly recommend their TraceR rear light. Bright for day and night use, compact and good run times on the flashing mode.

I still have a 1600 lumen China special thsts 6-7 years old,put out a lot of light for trail riding and was great for dog walking on dark paths and fields. The beam pattern is hopeless for road use, lots of flare and wide circular beam means even dipping down severely at the road surface still gives oncoming drivers issues.

Bikeradar (U.K.) are due another test review shortly, these were the rankings from their last test, perhaps not too representative of other markets/countries

Best front lights for bikes in 2020 as rated by our expert testers
  • Bontrager Ion Pro RT: £100
  • Gemini Titan 4000: £300
  • Guee SOL 700 Plus: £60
  • Blackburn Dayblazer 800: £59.99
  • Exposure Sirius MK9: £100
  • Exposure Strada 1200: £290
  • Hope R2i LED Vision: £175
  • Knog PWR road 600: £85
  • Lezyne Macro Drive 1300XXL: £85
  • Magicshine Allty 1000 DRL: £70

• some of those are pricey options, depends what price you pay for your safety , being seen and illuminating the area ahead.

I’ve always found Lezyne reliable lights, not the cheapest on paper specs but never failed to deliver

yep just pulled the trigger on back ordered road edition from outbound lighting.

I dont think you will be disappointed, although it is a lot of money to spend on a 'light'...the value in safety feeling while riding high speeds is priceless. I am still fully geeking over my Outbound Lighting headlight a month later from receiving it and cant recommend it enough, they really did put a lot of technology into their lens and it throws light in a superb fashion, with a great light carpet that illuminates the area around you and the light cutoff so you can actually point the headlight down range instead of down towards the ground to not blind people.

Before I got this I had a Cygolite which was not nearly bright enough for a headlight and I also had to point at the ground to avoid blinding people...bleh! Felt like I was seeing the world through a tunnel when night riding and it wasnt really that safe. Now I am finding reasons to go out at night :p

okey guys just tested the outbound road edition,
and to cut the story short its not build for high speed ebikes or high speed electric scooters for that matter,
its well built but the volts should have been 12volts and not 8.4v which could help increase the output of this light,
very disappointed, was hoping this light will be at par with my fisher fab but not even half of what i see with fisher fab,
only good thing about this ob road edition is that automotive grade cut off in the beam,
thats all u will enjoy.
sorry if someone don't like my 2 cents.

really?

That's a bit disappointing to hear.. :confused: it was on my list because of price.
its not a bad light but coming from fisher fab i don't know if u ever saw one in action,
fisher fab has 4 settings, 150lm 750lm 2900lm and 3200lm,
i always use 2900lm and i even see roaches running around on the road i use at night doing over 25mph on my ebike,
maybe i was expecting that level of spread maybe because this ob road edition is rated 1700lm, that's why i feel let down,
but all in all its very well built bike light.
i really like the car style beam cut off pattern.
if u have the spare cash go for it,
maybe u like it!!!

seemed like it was plenty bright enough for my rides but yeah like you said, if you are coming from....2900 lumens to expect the same from 1800 you are going to have a bad time

1082a493ca10ce50d8fb823ad46fea85b0f3f7a4.jpg

seemed like it was plenty bright enough for my rides but yeah like you said, if you are coming from....2900 lumens to expect the same from 1800 you are going to have a bad time

View attachment 69194
hey man, why is ur light is much brighter than mine???
do u have trial edition!!!
my ob road edition light is not this bright man!!!
did i get a bad one???

hey man, why is ur light is much brighter than mine???
do u have trial edition!!!
my ob road edition light is not this bright man!!!
did i get a bad one???

okey guys just tested the outbound road edition,
and to cut the story short its not build for high speed ebikes or high speed electric scooters for that matter,
its well built but the volts should have been 12volts and not 8.4v which could help increase the output of this light,
very disappointed, was hoping this light will be at par with my fisher fab but not even half of what i see with fisher fab,
only good thing about this ob road edition is that automotive grade cut off in the beam,
thats all u will enjoy.
sorry if someone don't like my 2 cents.

Aw man I am sad to hear that you got what seems like a bad batch.... I also have the Road Edition, if your light is not performing as mine is than something is definitely up with it but gladly there is that warranty which you will have no problems with...I would get your frustration though that sucks!

I am guessing maybe because they are rushing orders because of the backlog, again, frustrating the whole situation has to happen because of the whole inventory and covid thing...bleh.

okey do let me know if my eyes need to be checked or u guys think my light is a bad batch???
there is no street light on top of me where i took these pics just to let u guys know, its pitch black stretch of road.
IMG_5364.jpg

Last edited:
yeah it feels like mine has that warm color light where as urs is that white bright light effect!!!
i hate this s*it man, when these after batches start to become s*it!!!

yeah it feels like mine has that warm color light where as urs is that white bright light effect!!!
i hate this s*it man, when these after batches start to become s*it!!!

hmmm...Do you have the battery charged up all the way? If not the first setting when you turn on the light is not the Highest, its Adaptive, which means if the battery is low it will switch to Medium.

The High setting is the second led light on the right setting, to force the high setting no matter the battery range. After a few seconds of setting it, the led lights will change back to battery indicate...check out the little postcard they included its simple info but important.

yeah this picture i took was on high setting, and the battery had 2 bars left so maybe i need to fully charge the pack and give it a go next time i hit the road!!!
its a shame why maker is not using the light full potential by sticking a 12v pack instead they are using half of what this light volt rating is????

yeah this picture i took was on high setting, and the battery had 2 bars left so maybe i need to fully charge the pack and give it a go next time i hit the road!!!
its a shame why maker is not using the light full potential by sticking a 12v pack instead they are using half of what this light volt rating is????

I would def give the battery a full charge and see if that makes a difference or not, I mean it does say to fully charge it before taking it on a spin :p

I use:
  1. Supernova M99 Pro on my Vado. This automotive-grade headlight has been provided free to me by kind Specialized as Speed Vado warranty upgrade. (I would have never bought it myself because of the price). Unbelievably expensive.
  2. CatEye Volt 1700 on my Trance E+. It has a large rechargeable battery and 5 modes. As good as Supernova, only it doesn't offer the cut off.
  3. CatEye AMPP 1100 on my Lovelec. Far more lightweight than Volt, better visibility from the sides (you are "seen" from 90 degree angle), poorer battery life. The amount of light and the modes are satisfactory.

okey just took a photo to show u guys what my fisher fab shows at 2900 lm,
its the same street where i took a shot of my ob road edition,
the weather in this pic was super misty so yeah...
IMG_5370.jpg

Back