Headlight on st2

223coyote

Did anyone replace the headlight on the st2 ? It's really not sufficient for riding at night it's good enough in town but when I went out in the countryside I could only see 20 or so feet ahead of me. What is a really bright light ?

Did anyone replace the headlight on the st2 ? It's really not sufficient for riding at night it's good enough in town but when I went out in the countryside I could only see 20 or so feet ahead of me. What is a really bright light ?

There are two options.

The headlight currently on your ST2 is Supernova E3.
You can't change to Supernova M99 pro (which is one of the best headlights) because of the voltage and firmware requirements but you can add Supernova M99 or M99 Pure+. Both are excellent lights and will put out 8 times more flux density than the E3.

The easiest way is to add a aftermarket light like Cygolite Trion 1300.

Did anyone replace the headlight on the st2 ?

If you ever tried the M99pro on a ST2s, you learnes, the E3 on a ST2/ST1 is just a "candlelight"

In Switzerland, yes. Replaced by Supernova M99 Pure, full functionality preserved. Replacement by Supernova M99 Pure+ is no so easy, because of the required higher Ampere value . The price goes along with the lighting power of M99 series.

As Ravi said, put a simple MTB light on the handlebar. It's much cheaper than the full integrated solution. The difference between the Supernova M99 series and any other MTB lighting is the shape of the beam: MTB = round spot, 50% of the light goes upwards in the trees. M99 = like in a car, nondazzling in low beam.

Check this (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

@Ravi Kempaiah Did you some night rides on the ST2s during your WR attempt?

If you ever tried the M99pro on a ST2s, you learnes, the E3 on a ST2/ST1 is just a "candlelight"

In Switzerland, yes. Replaced by Supernova M99 Pure, full functionality preserved. Replacement by Supernova M99 Pure+ is no so easy, because of the required higher Ampere value . The price goes along with the lighting power of M99 series.

As Ravi said, put a simple MTB light on the handlebar. It's much cheaper than the full integrated solution. The difference between the Supernova M99 series and any other MTB lighting is the shape of the beam: MTB = round spot, 50% of the light goes upwards in the trees. M99 = like in a car, nondazzling in low beam.

Check this (Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

@Ravi Kempaiah Did you some night rides on the ST2s during your WR attempt?

Yes sir.
Most of my rides were done in the evening time and without M99 Pro, I would have had a lot of trouble riding.
So many great memories haha!

chinalampe_zpsmlnzonfj.jpg

Above you see what everybody knows:

The typical beam of a "super-ultra-bright-x-thousand-Lumen" bike light. From the tiptoes to the top of the trees all bright. But unluckily at the place which you reach in 1½ seconds, deep night. Not surprising, these lamps are build for slow MTB / road bicycles. Fitted with wide angle lenses and limited power supply are they still brighter than the Stromer standard Supernova E3 - but useless @45km/h

From now on, the Supernova M99 pro is available for retail customers.

The low beam, the same as with the M99pure, is already impressive:

But the high beam, only available with the M99pro, beats everything

(pic1 edited by bluecat, pic2 and pic3 unchanged from Supernova )

Pictures are impressive...)
Fenix claims that they do have a proper beam distribution. I'll see. It's about $100 and can be replaced later with Supernova. There is no reasonable explanation how to connect M99 PRO to ST2 (CAN bus connection and power).

How much light do you need??? Have to say that it's a huge peeve of mine to see bike commuters using the biggest light they can find in the city. It's overkill for lit streets and blinding to oncoming cyclists. Theoretically speaking, these big lights should be pointed down to the ground, but a lot of people don't pay attention to how the light is angled.

For city riding, I would highly recommend a helmet mounted light. I was using a Cateye Volt 300 and now am using the 12oo. The various light settings are great...I rarely need the full 1200 lumens but it's nice to have as a high beam option. The 300 was fine on a conventional bike, but I wanted to see and be seen further out with the higher speeds of an e-bike. The position of the light above the helmet gets you more visibility from further away (especially from cars turning out of driveways and cross-streets). If necessary, you can aim it into a car windshield for a split second to really help motorists see you. I've had plenty of motorists jerk to stop at the last moment instead of pulling out in front of me because I was able to do that. On a dark road, you can also turn your head a bit and aim it away from oncoming cyclists to help save their night vision.

I get downright scared looking at that M99Pro picture above. If someone was coming at me with one of those, especially on a long straight dark road where I'd be looking into it for awhile, I'd be really concerned about temporarily losing night vision.

Tai

Pictures above are not illustrating an actual brightness but rather a beam distribution. M99 is actually probably the best one since lights goes down and not suppose to blind anybody.
Since I'm driving frequently (car:) I really pay attention to my car light distribution (make sure it's properly adjusted) and getting pissed-off with others (bicycles included) not paying attention to it or using inappropriate lights.
So, it's not about amount of light but how it's distributed. I definitely can say that a stock ST2 light is not adequate even for city cycling.

I live in the Netherlands and we overal good street light conditions. We are a biker country :)

After riding the ST2 for two months now and days become shorter I do have serious problems with the standard E30 (210lm only) under low light conditions.

As my standard B&M rear light is replaced with an Supernova E30 tail light 2 I was looking for a Supernova solution for the front as well. But as was not keen on all the work and mods I had to do to have the M99 fitted, I opted for a Lezyne Deca Drive 1500XXL. I have it fitted with the rubber strap as the alloy mount is not easy to attach due to the convex shape of the handle bar.

I keep the Lezyne 1500XXL in Overdrive race mode and like it a lot as it brings what the standard E30 should have deliver: light.

That said it is unbelievable Stromer do not update the ST2 front light. Its specs are completely outdated ! FYI even the new 2017 ST1X gets a Roxim X4E (Link Removed - No Longer Exists), IMHO about the ugliest light available….but with more power 400 lm.

PS I also considered the Exposure Lights Strada 1200, ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)) which is beautiful crafted but compared with the Lezyne much too pricy and not available over here.

After I'll receive Fenix light I'll try to capture light distribution pattern and will post it. I'll see how it stands out to they claims.

I have a Specialized Flux Expert which I purchased for my road bike(s) which is a self-contained light that has a similar beam pattern to the M99. If aimed properly it is not blinding at all on the highest 800 lumen low-beam setting. The remote is really handy for cycling the high beam on/off and strobing oncoming cars when you need to get their attention. I would like to get something can be wired into my e-bike and run off the battery that puts out more light (I think Specialized's lumen ratings are inflated.) The M99 looks good if I could figure out a way to wire it into my Cross Current. It is incredibly annoying to other people if you ride around with super bright LED light(s) without the proper beam cutoff.

I'm going to order the M99 Pure for my daily beater ST1x next time ebay has a 15% off coupon.

Try this. Better than Supernova M99 Pure which only puts out 500 lumens.
https://www.lightandmotion.com/nip-800

I am not sure if the amp output on the ST1-X is good enough for Pure+, but if it is, I have a brand new spare M99 Pure+ that I will be willing to part with at a fantastic price.

Back