Have you seen any newer belt drive ebikes coming to the market

Stuart B

We're close on a decision re my wife and myself. We have a pair of nice ebikes on our site-line made by OHM, but what they do not have is a belt drive and gearless hub, if that is the lingo. I'm doing a final reckoning.

I've seen the priority ebikes, there' nice - though perhaps can't go the distance I'd like to see. I'm wondering what have you seen recently that sports a belt drive, that can go a decent distance, say 80KM min (50 mile min), has some modest suspension, with 2.0 to 2.6 width tires. I'm not too worried about price, but say around $3 - $6K US or $5 - $7K Canadian would hit the high end of the range, for each ebike.

I'm asking just in case you've seen some interesting 2021 ebikes coming to market. I'd love to not worry about chains and cleaning.
This is for off road use, but more like rail trail or easy off road stuff, rather than difficult terrain.
I would always cycle with rack and fenders.
I like the mountain ebike's that are also designed to go anywhere, on road/off road, with rack and fenders, if you've seen any with a belt drive.

Thoughts welcome.

Stuart

C
We're close on a decision re my wife and myself. We have a pair of nice ebikes on our site-line made by OHM, but what they do not have is a belt drive and gearless hub, if that is the lingo. I'm doing a final reckoning.

I've seen the priority ebikes, there' nice - though perhaps can't go the distance I'd like to see. I'm wondering what have you seen recently that sports a belt drive, that can go a decent distance, say 80KM min (50 mile min), has some modest suspension, with 2.0 to 2.6 width tires. I'm not too worried about price, but say around $3 - $6K US or $5 - $7K Canadian would hit the high end of the range, for each ebike.

I'm asking just in case you've seen some interesting 2021 ebikes coming to market. I'd love to not worry about chains and cleaning.
This is for off road use, but more like rail trail or easy off road stuff, rather than difficult terrain.
I like the mountain ebike's that are also designed to go anywhere, on road/off road, with rack and fenders, if you've seen any with a belt drive.

Thoughts welcome.

Stuart
Check out bikes @Ravi Kempaiah is launching at zenebikes. But you will have to wait until July. I think there is nothing like that in the market.
If you want to buy something sooner, here are the bikes I had shortlisted. But I decided to wait until Ravi launches his bikes - Bulls Sentinel 2.0, Bulls Iconic Evo TR1 Speed, Cube Kathmandu Hybrid, Gazelle Ultimate T10+.

to get 50 miles , you either need to get two batteries with over 1000wh or drive the bike in eco model with 625wh battery.
Bosch has a good calculator to estimate range.

Last edited:

Thoughts welcome.

Stuart

Hey Stuart,

Zen E-bikes will have its operation in Halifax, Nova Scotia this year, and also in Ashland, OR.
We are kind of under the radar because of a logistics delay but we will be up and running in Halifax this summer.

To answer your main question, we do have Bosch Gen 4 speed motor coupled with Gates Carbon fiber drive system and Enviolo / Rohloff E-14 internal gear hubs.

Check out some production model pictures here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/pictures-zen-samurai-diamond-and-wave-designs.40700/

And some details regarding the components: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-samurai-diamond.34290/

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 8.10.42 PM.png

I have a huge respect for what Pushkar is doing. But if you look at specs for Samurai for Enviolo / Gates carbon drive version, it feels like so much better value vs atom at $3400.

Cube Kathmandu Hybrid
thx Marrduk24

nice ebikes. I had previously had my eye on the TR1 Speed, and was disappointed that it was not being sold in Canada. The Gazelle Ultimate C380 has a belt drive though it doe snot have the most powerful engine. Will do 35 miles minimum I understand. the others don't have a belt drive. I'll look at that one. I will also look at the zen bikes.

thx!

thx Marrduk24

nice ebikes. I had previously had my eye on the TR1 Speed, and was disappointed that it was not being sold in Canada. The Gazelle Ultimate C380 has a belt drive though it doe snot have the most powerful engine. Will do 35 miles minimum I understand. the others don't have a belt drive. I'll look at that one. I will also look at the zen bikes.

thx!
Highly suggest you try a few bikes to see what you like. Your most likely options for an internally geared hub with gates carbon drive will be (increasing in price

1. sturmey archet
2 Shimano 5 gear
3. Enviolo CVT
4. Rohloff

Eg I personally don’t like the twist shifter that comes with enviolo hub. You may like it.

Also bike geometry makes a huge feel to how much you enjoy the bike. Eg I tend to like bikes that are more upright. I am still trying to figure out the technicalities of geometry but I tend to like bikes with a stack to reach ratio of 1.55 to 1.7.

In the last month I have probably test driven about 15 electric bikes and it has given me a much better idea of what I like.

Hey Stuart,

Zen E-bikes will have its operation in Halifax, Nova Scotia this year, and also in Ashland, OR.
We are kind of under the radar because of a logistics delay but we will be up and running in Halifax this summer.

To answer your main question, we do have Bosch Gen 4 speed motor coupled with Gates Carbon fiber drive system and Enviolo / Rohloff E-14 internal gear hubs.

Check out some production model pictures here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/pictures-zen-samurai-diamond-and-wave-designs.40700/

And some details regarding the components: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/zen-samurai-diamond.34290/
I will check out your website, and try to understand pricing. Many US based companies don't price for Canada. Often an ebike company needs to buy components and assemble here, to get the price down, if it's just the US price plus the exchange and shipping, it can cost a bundle. Will follow up.

Hey Reed, I tried to price a commuter pro, but with shipping and exchange, it would have been the same cost to buy a Riece and Muller. Anyway, it was around $12K Canadian as I recall and felt a bit high. I'll look again.

I have a huge respect for what Pushkar is doing. But if you look at specs for Samurai for Enviolo / Gates carbon drive version, it feels like so much better value vs atom at $3400.
Highly suggest you try a few bikes to see what you like. Your most likely options for an internally geared hub with gates carbon drive will be (increasing in price

1. sturmey archet
2 Shimano 5 gear
3. Enviolo CVT
4. Rohloff

Eg I personally don’t like the twist shifter that comes with enviolo hub. You may like it.

Also bike geometry makes a huge feel to how much you enjoy the bike. Eg I tend to like bikes that are more upright. I am still trying to figure out the technicalities of geometry but I tend to like bikes with a stack to reach ratio of 1.55 to 1.7.

In the last month I have probably test driven about 15 electric bikes and it has given me a much better idea of what I like.
Most of the ebikes I'd like to try would not be available to try around here. But I appreciate the thought. Watt, and Zen look interesting, and possibly on the cheaper front, the Gazelle C380 may be possible, along side the original ebike I was waiting for. The priority embark does not ship to Canada. I'm still undecided, but the thought of the ebike rusting away in the rain as I drive around with our trailer irks me.

Most of the ebikes I'd like to try would not be available to try around here. But I appreciate the thought. Watt, and Zen look interesting, and possibly on the cheaper front, the Gazelle C380 may be possible, along side the original ebike I was waiting for. The priority embark does not ship to Canada. I'm still undecided, but the thought of the ebike rusting away in the rain as I drive around with our trailer irks me.
I'm assuming you're talking about the Priority Current. The Embark, as far as I know, isn't being sold anymore. I think you'd struggle with the range on the Current - I can get 50-ish miles if I restrict myself to the lowest level of assist. A ride exclusively on PAS 3, for example, gets me 35 miles at most.

I will check out your website, and try to understand pricing. Many US based companies don't price for Canada. Often an ebike company needs to buy components and assemble here, to get the price down, if it's just the US price plus the exchange and shipping, it can cost a bundle. Will follow up.

Hi Stuart,

We will have an office in the US but a larger presence will be in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Apologies for the lack of information on the website. It will be up soon. We had to make some changes to the frames and we are awaiting to receive a few hundred of these Bosch frames.

I'm assuming you're talking about the Priority Current. The Embark, as far as I know, isn't being sold anymore. I think you'd struggle with the range on the Current - I can get 50-ish miles if I restrict myself to the lowest level of assist. A ride exclusively on PAS 3, for example, gets me 35 miles at most.
Yes, priority current. That’s was the issue I had with it. Distance. Thx. Stuart.

Back