Has anyone gone from the 48v 12.8ah to the 52v 19.2ah on the CCS?

Kilogttam

The larger battery wasn't available to upgrade to when I bought my bike, so I figured Id get a good several months out of the 48v and then upgrade and have the stock battery as a backup. I'm curious about the difference in performance though, I'd love to hear from someone who's done the same. How remarkable was the increase in range? Does the extra voltage give you a few more MPH on the top speed?

I can't speak about the range difference, but I can comment on the performance difference. My CCS has the 52V /21Ah battery. I rarely fully charge the battery to 58.8V full charge. Most of the time I charge to 80% or 55.4V, which is little more than a 48V pack at 100% charge (54.6V). At 55.4V the top assisted speed is ~33.5 to 34 mph. When I do fully charge to 58.8V the top assisted speed is ~37.5 mph. The top assisted speed steadily declines as the pack is depleted. At 50% charge or ~50V the top assisted speed is ~32 mph.
Acceleration performance is a subjective observation, but the bike does feel more powerful and seems to accelerate better at full charge.

As far as range goes, fwiw, my commute is 30 miles each way. Like I said I generally only charge to 80% and I finish my ride between 40-50% charge most of the time. I generally use 500 to 600 Wh of energy from the pack in my 30 mile commute.

I can't speak about the range difference, but I can comment on the performance difference. My CCS has the 52V /21Ah battery. I rarely fully charge the battery to 58.8V full charge. Most of the time I charge to 80% or 55.4V, which is little more than a 48V pack at 100% charge (54.6V). At 55.4V the top assisted speed is ~33.5 to 34 mph. When I do fully charge to 58.8V the top assisted speed is ~37.5 mph. The top assisted speed steadily declines as the pack is depleted. At 50% charge or ~50V the top assisted speed is ~32 mph.
Acceleration performance is a subjective observation, but the bike does feel more powerful and seems to accelerate better at full charge.

As far as range goes, fwiw, my commute is 30 miles each way. Like I said I generally only charge to 80% and I finish my ride between 40-50% charge most of the time. I generally use 500 to 600 Wh of energy from the pack in my 30 mile commute.

I hope Juiced starts to offer different options for the 52v. I'd like to take advantage of the extra pep you can get from the extra voltage. I don't necessarily need a 19 amp hour 52 volt. I'dd be content with a 52 volt 17 amp hour or even a 15. I can squeeze 35-40 miles out of my 48v 12.8 battery on level 1 while peddling at 23 mph with moderate peddling. I have all flats in my area.

Chris, I would imagine no other ebikes can keep up with you, not even the Stromer ST5. Even if a Stealth bomber keeps pace with you, it will easily deplete it's battery before you run out of yours.

At that speed, I would not even consider a mid drive since the drive train will just be prematurely shred into pieces.

The other ebikes that can likely keep up with you are 1500 watt DIY hub kits.

Awesome :) yes I've already experienced losing top speed eventually after running around on the stock battery for a while. If it still goes 32mph at 50% that's quite an improvement in performance! 37mph would be stupid fun, 30+ would also come in handy on some roads I ride on to get into town. Did you notice much difference in hill climbing ability?

Does anything else besides the battery need to be changed to go from a 48v battery to a 52v battery? ie. controler. I have a CCS with 48v 21Ah battery, but would like to get a 52v battery one day (if I can find a way to buy one and ship to New Zealand!) Thank you!

Does anything else besides the battery need to be changed to go from a 48v battery to a 52v battery? ie. controler. I have a CCS with 48v 21Ah battery, but would like to get a 52v battery one day (if I can find a way to buy one and ship to New Zealand!) Thank you!
You just need to buy the 52v charger as well to be able to charge it to full capacity.

Reactions: Ant
The controller in the CCS was designed for the 52 V upgrade. I look forward to getting a 52 sometime in the no too distant future.

Reactions: Ant
Chris, I would imagine no other ebikes can keep up with you, not even the Stromer ST5. Even if a Stealth bomber keeps pace with you, it will easily deplete it's battery before you run out of yours.

At that speed, I would not even consider a mid drive since the drive train will just be prematurely shred into pieces.

The other ebikes that can likely keep up with you are 1500 watt DIY hub kits.
In my 3600+ miles of riding so far, I have never been passed by another bike. :D

Awesome :) yes I've already experienced losing top speed eventually after running around on the stock battery for a while. If it still goes 32mph at 50% that's quite an improvement in performance! 37mph would be stupid fun, 30+ would also come in handy on some roads I ride on to get into town. Did you notice much difference in hill climbing ability?
I should clarify a few things here I think.
The CCS controller starts pulling back power delivery as you reach the bikes' top assisted speed for a given voltage. Thus as you reach the max assisted speed you will see the controller display < 30 watts being used even though you are travelling > 30 mph.
The bike comfortably cruises at 30 mph most of the time, (I use level 3 assist most of the time and I'll explain the difference with S mode later). In level 3 on flat terrain and no wind I would be cruising ~ 32 mph at 80% charge and ~ 30 mph at 50%. (Wind direction/ wind speed/ and hills affect this but not a lot unless its severe). The max assisted speed is generally not sustainable as the power delivery from the controller drops off.
In S mode, above 30 mph, there is no noticeable difference in performance from level 3. Below 30 mph S mode provides more power to either accelerate or maintain speed against increased resistance (hill or wind).
Hope this helps.

In S mode, above 30 mph, there is no noticeable difference in performance from level 3. Below 30 mph S mode provides more power to either accelerate or maintain speed against increased resistance (hill or wind).
Hope this helps.
For some reason I was under the impression that sport mode worked the opposite, that level 3 gave better boost at lower speeds but S was programmed to get you a few more mph. I haven't done any extensive testing though and don't remember where I heard that so I assume you know better than I do.

For me at top speed, along with Chris. S and Lvl 3 are the same at top speed. S just gives me the most assistance to get there. I prefer level 3.

Cutom battery builders like Hi-C and EMP can build a 52V pack with 440mm (same length as CC, CC Air, CCS and CCX) Reention Dorado MAX.
https://www.hicbattery.com/
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I'd like to see one of those batteries actually on a bike and not just the stock photos. I'm not sure (I doubt honestly, but I've been wrong a few times) that EMP even stocks any of their batteries the way you see on their site. I'm gonna guess they order from China and do all the assembling on an order to order basis.

Way back Tora mentioned how the downtube would come right from Reention and they had the option for one that was a little wider and one that was a little narrower. I've talked to numerous vendors on alibaba who say this MAX battery will not work for my Juiced Crosscurrent. They say that it would be too wide to fit in the downtube. It may be the same 440L but they have told me it's wider.

Sorry to bring this old thread up, but something just got my attention.

Did you just say 100% charge for 48V pack is 54.6V?
Because every single charger that I have ever had, it will charge up to 56.4V (according to the reading on display).

But if I look at the chargers, they're rated at 54.6V.. so does this mean my charger is overcharging the battery, or maybe the display is showing inaccurate readings?

**edit**
Actually, I don't think my display reading is inaccurate, because I've seem a chart somewhere on this forum that showed 100% for 48V was 56.4V.
So I don't know why my chargers are rated at 54.6V, and still chargers up to 56.4V.
Timpo, I saved this chart a while ago and it's been a great reference. Also FWIW, the voltage on my display is generally lower than what my Satiator charger shows. (Ie. if I finish a ride and am stopped my controller might show ~48.5 V, but when I plug the battery in to charge Satiator would show ~ 49.5 to 50 V.) This has been a consistent finding both before and after charging.
Here's the chart btw.

Attachments

• Lithium battery voltage charge graph.png
    Lithium battery voltage charge graph.png
    290.8 KB · Views: 451
Back