Harley adds some unique features to ebike design

Cyklefanatic

I just caught wind of three ebikes that Harley Davidson is going to produce. On first glance the frame looked very odd but if you look closely it is actually very clever. Because the frame tube doesn’t cross the gates belt the rear wheel is easy to remove and tension. Belt changes if required would also be a simple enough. Why it took a motorcycle manufacturer to think of this when there are hundreds of ebike companies out there is telling of how copycat and parts bin raiding they all are.
Another interesting feature is what looks like turn signals or brake lights built into the rear drop outs with internal wiring.
A455D5E5-4329-482D-AD90-16D6E363A2A3.jpeg

I just caught wind of three ebikes that Harley Davidson is going to produce. On first glance the frame looked very odd but if you look closely it is actually very clever. Because the frame tube doesn’t cross the gates belt the rear wheel is easy to remove and tension. Belt changes if required would also be a simple enough. Why it took a motorcycle manufacturer to think of this when there are hundreds of ebike companies out there is telling of how copycat and parts bin raiding they all are.
Another interesting feature is what looks like turn signals or brake lights built into the rear drop outs with internal wiring.
View attachment 48786

This is not new, there are other models (Some of RM models) that has a belt without cutout. The rest is just a no suspension mid drive ebike.

Harley is actually going to produce them? Or just let someone put their badge on it. Harley Davidson is close to going under again, along with their CEO abruptly leaving. They showed the prototypes of these bicycles in Aug 2019. I've seen nothing about any being sold yet, one source saying 2021. If they are as expensive at the $30,000 Livewire, these will be high end!

The pricing was stated as 2,500 to 5,000 with no details about what you get for the more expensive models. They are using high ends components. The motor is not mentioned and by the pictures I can’t tell what it is. I doubt they designed their own. Yes all the information was November last year. Harley may be in trouble now but they always find a way to revive.

From that article, dated Nov 2019:

"All three Harley-Davidson electric bicycles also feature high-end hydraulic disc brakes clamping down on what appears to be massive 203 mm rotors. Such components are normally reserved for higher end mountain bikes, and their inclusion on H-D’s e-bikes indicates that the company isn’t here to mess around with budget-minded, $600 e-bikes.

The prototypes were displayed with H-D’s proprietary mid-drive motor connected via belt-drive to an internally geared rear hub. One of the prototypes even sported an automatic shifting Enviolo continuously variable transmission, a component only found on premium electric bicycles."

I expected more from an on-line electric powered transportation website. I mean, anything out of the R&M, Haibike, Trek or Specialized catalog already sports top tier componetry that has been available to all high end bikes for years. Almost reads like a Harley company rep wrote the article with an eye to a hog owner who has never ridden a bicycle for 50 years, give or take!

Kinda expect the reason for the bike not on the market as of right now is there in the underlined text.....H-D's proprietary mid-drive motor. Can't wait for Harley to explain for the masses how their in-house motor beats Yamaha, Bosch or Shimano.

Harley might have done it better and cheaper by collaborating with a high end ebike manufacturer. How far is Milwaukee, WI from Trek World Headquarters in Waterloo, WI???
🤔

I like this bike, but it may just be a "design exercise". There doesn't seem to be much awareness of it actually coming to market even at the Harley stores, which is telling.

Back