Harassed by Real Bicyclists

Charly Banana

I know I stand out in my hi-viz yellow T-shirt, hi-viz yellow helmet, carpenter jean shorts and Lands End slip-on shoes. But most bikers in my area are real friendly and wave or nod, even though I'm the odd-ball on the road. However, this last Sunday I was harassed by a couple of hard core bicyclists, you know the ones with calves the size of tree trunks bulging with veins all over the place and riding bikes with tires so skinny you wonder how they could support all that weight. I saw them coming fast upon me in the rear view mirror. When they got to me, they kept right on my butt, just 2 - 3 feet away from me and wouldn't pass even though there was no traffic. Eventually, I pulled off to let them go by. I tried to stay away from them, but they would drop back next to me and ridicule me for riding a "battery" bike. This went on for a few miles until I made my turn to head home. I wasn't physically threatened by them, but I found the incident very uncomfortable. I'm 64 years old and I'm not about to get into a fight or confront a couple of muscle-bound jerks. Has any one else experienced such negative reactions toward riding an electric bike?

There is a term my generation uses these days for this "haters gonna hate"
It means that people who don't like you will always find a reason to dislike you, no matter how stupid that reason may be.
Those were definite haters.
Eventually everyone will ride electric, its just a matter of time and when electric bike innovations are at its peak.

If that ever happens again say that and ride off, that would be epic :)

Never seen that, and it is unfortunate behavior. I don't understand why people feel the need to be jerks to others they have never even met. Sorry you had to experience that, Charly. I'd say that 95% of cyclists are nice people, but that 5% does so much damage to cycling in general it infuriates me.

Sorry that it happened to you.. I'm usually on the other end hounding those roided cyclists...Do not like them for the simple reason that they will blow past stop signs or red lights and expect everyone else to get out of their way.

Last week two of them were riding side by side on a bike path near my house and wouldn't move.. So I dropped a couple of gears and sped up to 25 mph and passed them on the GRASS.. absolutely freaked them out. Then i cut in front of them and took off. I love it when they are in front of me.. just asking to be passed.

I'm in the same boat as JoePah. Roadies don't harass me because they can't keep up with me. If anything, I harass them by sometimes doing crazy s*it when I pass them, like taking out my cell phone and pretending to talk on it. :p

Well if you really fear them then just call the police, otherwise engage in conversation and work it out depending on the circumstances and feedback. Read and react.

Well if you really fear them then just call the police, otherwise engage in conversation and work it out depending on the circumstances and feedback. Read and react.
As I stated, I wasn't physical threatened. Not only do I not carry a phone, but certainly the police have better things to do. It was not a big deal, except it was clear they didn't like electric bicycles and they thought it was amusing to try and intimidate me. It was kind of like a fly bothering you, it keeps coming back even though you try to swat it away. I was just curious as to whether other riders had encountered such negative reactions to electric bikes.

I know I stand out in my hi-viz yellow T-shirt, hi-viz yellow helmet, carpenter jean shorts and Lands End slip-on shoes. But most bikers in my area are real friendly and wave or nod, even though I'm the odd-ball on the road. However, this last Sunday I was harassed by a couple of hard core bicyclists, you know the ones with calves the size of tree trunks bulging with veins all over the place and riding bikes with tires so skinny you wonder how they could support all that weight. I saw them coming fast upon me in the rear view mirror. When they got to me, they kept right on my butt, just 2 - 3 feet away from me and wouldn't pass even though there was no traffic. Eventually, I pulled off to let them go by. I tried to stay away from them, but they would drop back next to me and ridicule me for riding a "battery" bike. This went on for a few miles until I made my turn to head home. I wasn't physically threatened by them, but I found the incident very uncomfortable. I'm 64 years old and I'm not about to get into a fight or confront a couple of muscle-bound jerks. Has any one else experienced such negative reactions toward riding an electric bike?

I have had countless situations where car drivers were yelling something at me. Mostly immature college kids.
Couple of times, big SUV drivers honked at me and tried to scare me by passing very close.
All these kinds of reactions are driven by insecurity. We should never feed such trolls.

As I stated, I wasn't physical threatened. Not only do I not carry a phone, but certainly the police have better things to do. It was not a big deal, except it was clear they didn't like electric bicycles and they thought it was amusing to try and intimidate me. It was kind of like a fly bothering you, it keeps coming back even though you try to swat it away. I was just curious as to whether other riders had encountered such negative reactions to electric bikes.

What I found most helpful today, as a 56 yo, is to just wave and smile when cars or others confront me... Can't afford the liability of rock throwing..LOL

Last edited:
What a couple of losers! Who harasses a 64 year old man on a bicycle, Ebike or otherwise?? You did the right thing by ignoring them, as any engaging would have probably just encouraged them to hang around more. I wish I was there with ya.... it would have ended differently.;)

Easier to stop and: drink some water, swap batteries , call my wife (partner , mistress, anybody), switch music feed/channels or what ever then to even discuss the time of day w/people like that. I say this as person that is 99% of the time joy riding and can do this w/no issues of time or costs but confrontations like this wont end well for somebody , not worth it , not letting them ruin my ride! :)

Mark

Easier to stop and: drink some water, swap batteries , call my wife (partner , mistress, anybody), switch music feed/channels or what ever then to even discuss the time of day w/people like that. I say this as person that is 99% of the time joy riding and can do this w/no issues of time or costs but confrontations like this wont end well for somebody , not worth it , not letting them ruin my ride! :)

Mark

You are so right. That's exactly what I should have done. When I pulled over to let them by, I should have taken my time, had a drink of water and let them disappear ahead before I started riding again. Thanks. I'll remember your advice!

You are so right. That's exactly what I should have done. When I pulled over to let them by, I should have taken my time, had a drink of water and let them disappear ahead before I started riding again. Thanks. I'll remember your advice!

Never had a bad experience yet. But I plan ahead. If someone calls me a "cheater", I'm gonna respond " Yeah!!" "Right on!" " You bet!" or something like that.

I like all kinds of bikes, but some of these folks are so caught up in themselves they can't help but provide amusement to those of us who can see the bigger picture of bicycle transport.

I see so much hill-climbing grimacing and sweat. Why should a bicycle be a torture machine? I prefer to make my torture "optional".

If you are ok with speed, the better solution is to ride a speed ebike (+28mph ish) and leave them in the dust.

If you are governed by a 20mph bike, it adds fuel to their false sense of superiority.

If you are ok with speed, the better solution is to ride a speed ebike (+28mph ish) and leave them in the dust.

If you are governed by a 20mph bike, it adds fuel to their false sense of superiority.

A pedal assist bike gives a lot more options with speed and range...There's just no comparision to a Throttle Only bike... Although some days it is nice to fake peddle.

I just switch off to it these days with the organised mtb events that I take part in.
Some of the events have approx. 700 riders taking part, and I'm the only person that I know of in the UK that takes part in these events on an e-mtb. One particular event attracted a lot of hostility towards me, not only from the riders, but also from the organisers. It wound me up at the time, but I have turned the negative thoughts that I had into just being more determined at the next one. If I hadn't I'd have quit, and they would have won. Quitting isn't in my nature. :)

I've also had a few negative comments on the road, but as it's them that has the problem and not me, I'm not concerned by them.

Back