Happy with fenders ? RadRover

Hap

Wonder about the full fenders or the 1/2 fender type?

Your opinions and where you would buy or if not worth the cost?

Thanks

I had the Rad 1/2 version before the full fenders were available. The fronts were too short and anything I ran over that got kicked up ended up my legs/shoes anyways. The rear fender was a floating type that secured to the seatpost. It would bounce/rattle inside my rear rack and drove me crazy. I still had the same issue of the rear fender being too short and muck still kicked up too much. I was going to switch to the full fenders; but, my Saris SuperClamp rack secures my Rover on top of the front/rear tires and the full fenders would be in the way for a secure and stable fit.

We don't get much rain or snow in NM and I really don't like to ride when it is wet outside anyways. I went for the eBay Planet Bike Big Buck front fender and called it a day. My rear Topeak rack bag acts like a rear fender and it covers me better than the Rad 1/2 fender.

I have the shorter RadRover fenders on my new 2018 and have to say I’m pretty happy with them. I didn’t really like the look of the newer long fenders, so I figured I’d give these a try. Only complaint I had is the mounting of the rear fender, as it just mounts to the seat post and has a tendency to flap around. I also have the rear rack so it sort of smacked on that and rattled. To remedy it, I drilled two small holes in the fender, stuck a zip tie through, and strapped it directly to the rack. Now, it’s as solid as a rock and perfect as far as I’m concerned.

I've got some Topeak M1 Defender Fenders on my Polaris eBike (Court did a review video of these on his own bike a while back). They are good fenders (especially if you like the more motorcycle fender appearance) but I really question if there is such a thing as a truly effective bike fender when riding at any speed over about 15mph.

The wheel speed tends to literally pump most of the water that collects on the underside of the front fender forward and then it streams up and into your body and face. I know there is a fender on a Specialized bike with channels that move the water to the outside edges of the fender but I have no first hand experience with them so would like to hear if that works. The other problem with every front fender that I can think of (mainly if you ride on on a road with any standing water) is the splashing of the tire. You can simply take a yard stick and take it from the contact point of the tire back to where your feet and lower legs are going to be while pedaling and it's obvious that this is not blocked by a fender. The few times I've ridden in significant rain (had Gortex protection on except for my feet and I was just wearing 100% leather sneakers) my feet go soaking wet in about 10 minutes. If you want to arrive with dry feet when it's raining I think a set of waterproof shoe covers is a must.

Fenders to reduces the water that is released by the tire that end up on the rider but it's time dependent. If you are riding for say more than 10 minutes in the rain fenders result in no difference to how wet you are going to get. If the road is just wet and it's not raining, I think you'll still end up pretty wet.

I do think a rear fender can prevent a lot of the flinging of water up onto your back as that is a total different performance issue for fenders and they do a decent job of solving that (the front tire is just much more difficult because of splashing and the movement of water to the front edge of the fender when it just releases into your path.

I would like to hear if others that urban commute on an eBike have experienced this.

Back