Handlebars

60plusbiker

Region
USA
Hello.
I'm new to the forum with an aventon level. I like it but I need to change the grips. After riding less than 10 miles, my hands are hurting because of the angle. Is it better to get an extension to raise it or try to get a new handlebar. It seems it will be quite a job to try either one.
Thanks

Stem spacers are dirt cheap and easy to swap in to make a minor adjustment. $10-20 on Amazon. Looks like yours should be the 31.8 (1 1/4"), but double check that.

If you are trying to improve your position a bit more, the handlebars can do double duty by giving you the rise, as well as some more back sweep. That combines for a very relaxed riding position if that is what you are after.

I don't like the 'giraffe' look of oversized stem spacers, so I tend to lean towards replacement handlebars first, but that is just personal preference.

It looks like the Level just comes with standard round grips as well. Many folks including myself much prefer the 'paddled' and contoured grips as they help distribute some of that weight and relive the stress on your palms and wrists. A few popular options below just for ideas (Cost, low-high).

Those last ones can come as a kit with optional "inner bar-ends" instead of the traditional bull bars on the ends. I have both the Ergon gp 5 model, and the SQ Labs with inner bar ends one two similar bikes. The Ergons are great for general and trail use, and the SQ Labs are fantastic for longer distance road riding as the inner bar ends act like a bit of an aero bar.

My hands & wrists suffered the same fate when I bought my first e-bike. After some experimentation, I found the Jones H handlebar with 2.5" rise and 30 degree back sweep worked best for me:

LoopSGfullbig__25320.1489433737.jpg
Of course everyone is different and what works for some may not for all.

Swapping handlebars isn't that difficult but be sure you have enough slack in your control cables. Extending them is possible but sometimes difficult.

If you haven't already done so, get a good pair of padded riding gloves. They can make a BIG difference in hand & wrist comfort.

As mentioned above, ergonomic grips with palm rests can also help.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

I also went with the jones 2.5 bar. I went with the 710 width planning on trimming them done if needed but haven't had to yet.

@60plusbiker, I suspect you're looking for a handlebar that has more backsweep to it and a more comfortable grip.
threemartymac has given you a good starting point for more comfortable grips.
Here's a link to an inexpensive handlebar that has more sweep to it. I bought this handlebar a while back because the mountain bike style straight bar was hurting my wrists.

Hopefully, this is what you're looking for.

I raised the handlebar and I have these grips. I have the 702's and the 710's. Best grips ever! I recommend the 702's, the wrist pad is much larger. I had wrist fatigue before I installed these, no I never have a problem.

Hello.
my hands are hurting because of the angle
Without seeing pics, this can be anything. Doubtful it's merely just the grips.

Sounds like you may prefer an urban/commuter handlebar setup. An adjustable stem and bullhorns may be your friends.

Hello.
I'm new to the forum with an aventon level. I like it but I need to change the grips. After riding less than 10 miles, my hands are hurting because of the angle. Is it better to get an extension to raise it or try to get a new handlebar. It seems it will be quite a job to try either one.
Thanks
Have you tried adjusting what you have? Pretty simple adjustments with the right allen wrench:
- Try changing the angle at which the bars come at you. Loosen the bolts on the front of the stem, adjust angle, tighten. You might need to adjust the angle of the brake levers, shifter etc after this. Trial and error, takes an hour.
- As mentioned already, spacer placement. There are the little rings, of various size, in between the top of head tube and the bar. Typically you can change placement of them, but can not add more. What limits the number of spacers is the length of the fork tube. So you can unscrew bolts, swap spacers above or below the stem, and retighten.

Back