Haibikes for US market - More Companies to Sign Contract

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
The German Haibikes will be available through other ebike manufacturers as well (early 2015). Right now, Currie has brought in these bikes to the US market and it was inevitable that other manufacturers follow something similar. [more information during Interbike 2014]

Also, most of the Haibikes (Xduro RX, except Superrace) are limited to 20mph federal regulation. If you want 28mph speed-pedelec version, one needs to get the Xduro RS version.
For example: Xduro FS RS 27.5, Xduro Trekking S.

Cheers

Long Island Electric bikes already selling them online. must be one huge store... Haibikes are pretty pricy; the cheapest is around $4k.

Has some pretty nice features, auto shifting... Says the range is 109 miles... Battery is just 36v11ah. 47 lbs.. not particularly light.. Warranty is 2 yrs on the bosch motor, 1 year for everything else...

Long Island Electric bikes already selling them online. must be one huge store... Haibikes are pretty pricy; the cheapest is around $4k.

I meant the companies not the retail shops. Right now, LongIsland ebikes and many other stores are purchasing from Currie because they have the distribution rights. Some other companies other than Currie will have distribution rights for Haibikes in US, soon.

So, would one of these Haibikes be better at climbing steep hills than the hub driven Izip Dash? There are a few hills where I live that the Dash pedal asssist with all my leg power still can not make it to the top.

I meant the companies not the retail shops. Right now, LongIsland ebikes and many other stores are purchasing from Currie because they have the distribution rights. Some other companies other than Currie will have distribution rights for Haibikes in US, soon.

I understand that the RS is not available in the US, or may be restricted. Ravi can you confirm? I have not seen a price anywhere either...

So, would one of these Haibikes be better at climbing steep hills than the hub driven Izip Dash? There are a few hills where I live that the Dash pedal asssist with all my leg power still can not make it to the top.

Hi Charly,

I have limited test riding experience with mid drives but I can certainly say that mid drives perform slightly better at hill climbing. If you don't live in one of those hilly SF areas, hub motors would suffice in most cases. It's more about proper gearing with the mid drives that makes all the difference.

Check out Focus, Kalkhoff, Haibike, Currie mid drive systems. They are fun and give more bike like feeling.

I understand that the RS is not available in the US, or may be restricted. Ravi can you confirm? I have not seen a price anywhere either...

Rusty,

Nope. I haven't seen either. Speed pedelecs in Europe have stringent regulations. They need to have lights, mirror, license plate, registration, etc. speed pedelecs are very much a grey area in US. When I saw this video, I fell in love. Very beautiful Xduro FS RS 27.5. Check it out. Haibike XDURO FS RS Overview:

Rusty,

Nope. I haven't seen either. Speed pedelecs in Europe have stringent regulations. They need to have lights, mirror, license plate, registration, etc. speed pedelecs are very much a grey area in US. When I saw this video, I fell in love. Very beautiful Xduro FS RS 27.5. Check it out. Haibike XDURO FS RS Overview:

Thanks, Ravi. Nice bike sans pedals. Haha. :) I feared that this will not be a US model.

Hi Charlie - you shoulda gotten the Peak, man! Just kidding, the Dash is a really fun ride. :) Seriously though, given enough traction, I do not think that there is a hill my Peak will not climb. If I straddle the bike whilst stationary and have it in one of the lower gears and give it throttle, it will rear up and want to flip over on me! It will also do "donuts" in the gravel for me if I am so inclined. Yea, I have a bit of fun now and then. :)

I have climbed 10% plus grades in excess of 15 mph, it does take effort, but that is just how I ride. I imagine that I could take those same hills at a lower speed in complete comfort, should I so choose. The Peak rides more like a bicycle and requires a bit more effort, mentally and physically but it rewards you for it! Hope this helps!

Rusty

Rusty,

That is a sweet looking bike! I love that it includes lights... I've got the 20mph FS 27.5 and have really enjoyed using it as a commuter but there are times where a bit faster would be nice. That said, I still get places in a big hurry and have been extra careful not to get out of control... I also picked up some bicycle insurance given the amount of riding I've been doing now.

Ravi - I don't believe other companies will have distribution rights for Haibike in the US. Other companies might sell other Bosch powered ebikes, but Haibike will be, to the best of my knowledge distributed under the Accell Group (Currie). I hope to have an update next month on which companies have plans to cross the pond. I'll be trying to convince many of them.

Also - keep in mind there are always ways to remove the speed limit, but it could impact the warranty.

Ravi - I don't believe other companies will have distribution rights for Haibike in the US. Other companies might sell other Bosch powered ebikes, but Haibike will be, to the best of my knowledge distributed under the Accell Group (Currie). I hope to have an update next month on which companies have plans to cross the pond. I'll be trying to convince many of them.

Also - keep in mind there are always ways to remove the speed limit, but it could impact the warranty.

Chris,
I received this info from the CEO himself.
Wait till the interbike and you'll come to know.

Delimiting dongles can be bought from UK or German ebay but it sure does change the warranty.

Chris,
I received this info from the CEO himself.
Wait till the interbike and you'll come to know.

Delimiting dongles can be bought from UK or German ebay but it sure does change the warranty.

Good to know. I guess we'll see at interbike. Or Eurobike, I'll be hanging with the Winora group while there. They'll be lending me a Haibike to get around as well which should be exciting.

Also, there is a slight change in the firmware hack for Gen 2 Vs Gen 1 Bosch systems.
So, be sure to check that when you get some dongles at the Eurobike :)

Also, there is a slight change in the firmware hack for Gen 2 Vs Gen 1 Bosch systems.
So, be sure to check that when you get some dongles at the Eurobike :)
Ravi - I think you might be mistaken about different companies distributing. I just spoke to the CEO's daughter as we talk often and she's responsible for overseeing the US market. But I guess we'll see come September.

I quite familiar with the dongles and I have tested several styles for my own understanding. I have a working solution now, but as noted above it can void the warranty.

Ravi - I think you might be mistaken about different companies distributing. I just spoke to the CEO's daughter as we talk often and she's responsible for overseeing the US market. But I guess we'll see come September.

I quite familiar with the dongles and I have tested several styles for my own understanding. I have a working solution now, but as noted above it can void the warranty.

So ... how do we become privy to the solution?

Back