Haibike xduro Race

supermasj

Hello guys.

I just purchased myself a Haibike xduro race. Was first planning on purchasing a Stromer ST1x, but a friend linked me to a shop with some old stock of the Haibike Xduro Race 2015/2016 at a ridiculous price point, so I ended up buying the haibike.

I've been looking for people owning this bike, but beside the (good) review on this forum, I haven't found any information on long time experience withe the bike elsewhere (neither the superrace).

I will be using it for my commute (2 x 37 miles) a day.

Is there anyone on this forum owning the bike? Specific stuff I need to care about?

Hello guys.

I just purchased myself a Haibike xduro race. Was first planning on purchasing a Stromer ST1x, but a friend linked me to a shop with some old stock of the Haibike Xduro Race 2015/2016 at a ridiculous price point, so I ended up buying the haibike.

I've been looking for people owning this bike, but beside the (good) review on this forum, I haven't found any information on long time experience withe the bike elsewhere (neither the superrace).

Is there anyone on this forum owning the bike? Specific stuff I need to care about?

I rode the Super Race for over 500 miles and just switched Trekking S Rx (heavier but has rack, fenders, wider tires, riser handlebar etc). The store tech uses the SuperRace tight now.
I really enjoyed the Super Race and for summer time, it's a great bike to have. 28c skinny tires on icy roads can be troublesome, for now I am using the Trekking S Rx.

Race is not very different from the SuperRace in terms of performance. Both weigh around 40lbs and have great agility. TRP Zurich cable actuated hydraulic ones on the Race are quite good but I felt the Magura MT4's on the SuperRace to be tiny bit better.

There are mounting points for rack and fenders. 37 miles each way is going to be a lot of saddle time. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Last edited:
OK ty for the information. I will not be using the bike during winter, only from march to september. I don't need fenders or racks, will just use a bike backpack and use the company car on days it rains and in winter time. I do the trip nowadays occasionaly on a rece bike, but thet takes slightly too long (1h45' x 2 + shower afterwards). I hope to speed up towards 2 x 1h30

OK ty for the information. I will not be using the bike during winter, only from march to september. I don't need fenders or racks, will just use a bike backpack and use the company car on days it rains and in winter time. I do the trip nowadays occasionaly on a rece bike, but thet takes slightly too long (1h45' x 2 + shower afterwards). I hope to speed up towards 2 x 1h30

I used to average 23mph normally. This was paved bike trails.
If you have decent bike trail or roads w/ minimal traffic light stops, I am sure you can bring your commute time down to 1hr 20mins.

It's a nice track, with little stops, and the track is also almost flat. Using my race bike I get to around 16-19 mph depending on the wind.

I guess that I will need to limit myself to eco to ensure the distance (I only managed 5 miles on the bike for now, way to cold and snowy over here for the moment), and I think eco should let me get 4-5 mph faster ...

The Race is a great bike! I like Ravi had spent a good bit of time on the superrace which is effectively the flat bar version of the race. One thing I will say is it's a very stiff ride. If you have smooth streets you'll be fine, but here in NYC the bike was a bit rough until I added a Bodyfloat seatpost.

It sounds like you're pretty well conditioned though. I have back problems so I'm particularly sensitive. I really loved that bike though.

We also modified a Race for a customer of ours. We moved the Bosch remote so it was accessible when he had both his hands on the bars. We added an accessory mount and mounted the remote to that. He really appreciated that change.

Enjoy the ride!

I am awaiting a 2017 Xduro Race S 6.0 and am very interested in moving the remote switching controller to just under the brake hood. Can you explain more about the "accessory mount" you used? Thanks!

I am awaiting a 2017 Xduro Race S 6.0 and am very interested in moving the remote switching controller to just under the brake hood. Can you explain more about the "accessory mount" you used? Thanks!

We used something just like this. Here is a link to it. We mounted it to the bars up by the display and you can control the motor while keeping your hands on the top of the bars. There might be a way to mount it so you can control it with your hands on the hoods, but I didn't look for that. I would maybe Google "Handlebar Accessory Mount for Hoods" or something like that.

Attachments

• hb0901.png
    hb0901.png
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,510
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but this is what I do to get my throttle where I want it using drop bars. But it could be used for other things as well.

01C83374-A7E4-45CE-BF6B-DFBB203ECC88.jpg

It is just a length of handlebar with a thru hole zip tied to the side of the hood with a bar plug in the end. I have this on two different bikes now with no issues.

Hello guys.

Congrats! If you dont mind me asking, what was the deal on the Race? Also, how have your commutes been on the Race? I really like the Race S model. But would like to hear your experiences about the stiffness and the vibrations?

Also, I havent dared yet to do my 25 mile commute each way. I am going to use you as a source of inspiration to do mine completely on the bike. I just bought myself a 2016 Xduro FullSeven S RX. Expecting delivery in the next 2-3 days.

Well I have not yet driven the trip, I have an ankle injury.
The deal was 2199 EUR for a brand new bike, but with aluminium rimms instead of the carbon rimms. Carbon would have been 2599 EUR, for commuting purposes I prefer a standard alu rimm over a deep dish carbon one

Well I have not yet driven the trip, I have an ankle injury.
The deal was 2199 EUR for a brand new bike, but with aluminium rimms instead of the carbon rimms. Carbon would have been 2599 EUR, for commuting purposes I prefer a standard alu rimm over a deep dish carbon one

Recover soon. -)

That seems like an awesome deal. Let us know the stiffness when you get a chance to ride it. The thing looks just awesome!

After the recall operation, I can at last start to use the bike. I've done 6 trips to work, and need 1h35 one direction (22 mph). This is with a 400 Wh battery, I need to do around 5-7 miles in eco-mode, afterwards I can switch to Touring.

Within a few weeks, my condition should be OK again, and I expect to win an additional 1-2 mph.
Stifness of the ride is OK.

I rode the Super Race for over 500 miles and just switched Trekking S Rx (heavier but has rack, fenders, wider tires, riser handlebar etc). Our store tech uses the SuperRace tight now.
I really enjoyed the Super Race and for summer time, it's a great bike to have. 28c skinny tires on icy roads can be troublesome, for now I am using the Trekking S Rx.

Race is not very different from the SuperRace in terms of performance. Both weigh around 40lbs and have great agility. TRP Zurich cable actuated hydraulic ones on the Race are quite good but I felt the Magura MT4's on the SuperRace to be tiny bit better.

There are mounting points for rack and fenders. 37 miles each way is going to be a lot of saddle time. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Hi Ravi!

I hope you don't mind if I interject into this post but I've been following most of your posts, hoping to glean some information to make an informed decision on which bike to purchase. Have you separated yourself from Stromer? I originally narrowed my options to the yet available Specialized Turbo Vado 6, Trek Super Commuter+ 8s, Stromer ST2 and the Haibike XDURO Trekking S RX. I'm looking for a commuter bike that I can also use for carrying misc. gear (~30 lbs). I originally had a Trek FX+ but it was plagued with issues and I traded it in towards a Trek Domane 5.9 Di2. I was riding the Domane into December in the western suburbs (Naperville) but the narrow tires doesn't bode well for Chicagoland weather. I'd appreciate your feedback and also where you purchased your Haibike from. Is it worth jumping to the new Haibike SDURO Trekking 5?

Hi Ravi!

I hope you don't mind if I interject into this post but I've been following most of your posts, hoping to glean some information to make an informed decision on which bike to purchase. Have you separated yourself from Stromer? I originally narrowed my options to the yet available Specialized Turbo Vado 6, Trek Super Commuter+ 8s, Stromer ST2 and the Haibike XDURO Trekking S RX. I'm looking for a commuter bike that I can also use for carrying misc. gear (~30 lbs). I originally had a Trek FX+ but it was plagued with issues and I traded it in towards a Trek Domane 5.9 Di2. I was riding the Domane into December in the western suburbs (Naperville) but the narrow tires doesn't bode well for Chicagoland weather. I'd appreciate your feedback and also where you purchased your Haibike from. Is it worth jumping to the new Haibike SDURO Trekking 5?

Funny you ask that.
I live in Chicago myself and given the terrible road conditions here, I switched from Stromer ST2 to Haibike Trekking S Rx. While I absolutely enjoy the smoothness and quiet power delivery of ST2, hitting bumps and pot holes every 10m was not a nice feeling. I still use that for long distance travel.
I got my Trekking from Lenny's in Madison. Lenny has been like a father figure in my life and he even sponsored by Guinness Record ride last summer. So, mentioning him might be a conflict of interest here. But, I am happy to give you my honest answer.

Among your list, Trek Super Commuter 8+ would be a great choice. You could run those Super Moto X at low PSI and with the Body Float, you would have no problem on the Chicago roads.
Looks like you are a pretty seasoned cyclist (not everyone rides a Trek Domane 5.9 wth Di2). You should also consider the BULLS Dail-E Grinder. It does come with Di2, Bosch speed motor and the Supernova M99 lighting that you see on the Trek Super commuter. The geometry is more relaxed compared to the Trek but it's so much lighter than the ST2 and the trekking S Rx. At 48lbs, it really handles very well. 2" Marathon Supereme + RockShox paragon does a great job of mitigating bumps.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Bulls-Dail-E-Grinder-2.jpg

The rack on the Dail-E grinder is rated for 60lbs. So, I don't see any problem carrying stuff like groceries or laptop/lunch.

I recently did a weekend ride to Milwaukee and back on my Haibike Trekking S Rx: https://www.strava.com/activities/1118854733. While I was able to do the trip on 2 batteries, I also came to realize that upright riding positions just doesn't cut it for long rides like that. I am looking to switch back to the Dail-E grinder myself and retire the Trekking S Rx. It has been a great bike. I rode it throughout the winter and it has performed flawlessly. If you have the opportunity to pick up a Trekking S Rx, I would recommend it because it's an older year model and most shops offer some sale on those. You could also switch out the batteries to the newer 500Whr ones.

Ravi's Trekking S Rx Commuter.jpg

I am hesitant to recommend the Vado 6.0. I rode that bike at the Chicago Bike Expo and it rode great. In theory, that would be a terrific bike for the Chicago roads but there are some glitches with the Specialized firmware, their mission control app but if you have a dealer near you who is willing to back you up, it is worth a shot.
If you already have a pretty good relationship with your Trek dealer, then Super Commuter 8+ would be a great choice as well. My thinking may be different from yours. I am not going to own any system that has super proprietary battery geometry and related hardware. If I get another Bosch powered bike (whether it is Tern GSD or Yuba Spicy cargo bike or even Mountain bike), I could switch out batteries and chargers. Also, if two or more family members have similar kind of bikes, then you gain additional battery for occasional rides and stuff like that. With Bosch, you have more flexibility. There are more spares and accessories available for Bosch than the Specialized. I am not trying to downplay specialized here but their mountain bike battery is different from road bike and both of these are very different from their Turbo bikes. Now, I could use Trekking S Rx batteries on Yuba Cargo or any eMTB and eliminate redundancy.

[QUOTE/]Among your list, Trek Super Commuter 8+ would be a great choice. You could run those Super Moto X at low PSI and with the Body Float, you would have no problem on the Chicago roads.
Looks like you are a pretty seasoned cyclist (not everyone rides a Trek Domane 5.9 wth Di2). You should also consider the BULLS Dail-E Grinder. It does come with Di2, Bosch speed motor and the Supernova M99 lighting that you see on the Trek Super commuter. The geometry is more relaxed compared to the Trek but it's so much lighter than the ST2 and the trekking S Rx. At 48lbs, it really handles very well. 2" Marathon Supereme + RockShox paragon does a great job of mitigating bumps.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

View attachment 17915

The rack on the Dail-E grinder is rated for 60lbs. So, I don't see any problem carrying stuff like groceries or laptop/lunch.

I recently did a weekend ride to Milwaukee and back on my Haibike Trekking S Rx: https://www.strava.com/activities/1118854733. While I was able to do the trip on 2 batteries, I also came to realize that upright riding positions just doesn't cut it for long rides like that. I am looking to switch back to the Dail-E grinder myself and retire the Trekking S Rx. It has been a great bike. I rode it throughout the winter and it has performed flawlessly. If you have the opportunity to pick up a Trekking S Rx, I would recommend it because it's an older year model and most shops offer some sale on those. You could also switch out the batteries to the newer 500Whr ones.

View attachment 17917

I am hesitant to recommend the Vado 6.0. I rode that bike at the Chicago Bike Expo and it rode great. In theory, that would be a terrific bike for the Chicago roads but there are some glitches with the Specialized firmware, their mission control app but if you have a dealer near you who is willing to back you up, it is worth a shot.
If you already have a pretty good relationship with your Trek dealer, then Super Commuter 8+ would be a great choice as well. My thinking may be different from yours. I am not going to own any system that has super proprietary battery geometry and related hardware. If I get another Bosch powered bike (whether it is Tern GSD or Yuba Spicy cargo bike or even Mountain bike), I could switch out batteries and chargers. Also, if two or more family members have similar kind of bikes, then you gain additional battery for occasional rides and stuff like that. With Bosch, you have more flexibility. There are more spares and accessories available for Bosch than the Specialized. I am not trying to downplay specialized here but their mountain bike battery is different from road bike and both of these are very different from their Turbo bikes. Now, I could use Trekking S Rx batteries on Yuba Cargo or any eMTB and eliminate redundancy.[/QUOTE]

Wow!!!! Thank you for the prompt reply and all the information! I was really impressed by Court's video of the Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 and thought it would be the one . . . for some reason, I keep coming back to the Stromer ST2. I don't foresee myself doing century rides with it but it would be nice for commuting (@5am) as well as running errands/shopping. The Haibikes (Trekking S Rx and the SDURO Trekking 5) look like great options. The Bulls LACUBA EVO E45 intrigues me even more than the Dail-E Grinder; as for lighting, I have the DesignShine DS-500 tail light and DS-1300 headlight ( http://store.designshinelighting.com ) - phenomenal lighting!

I really appreciate your genuine passion for e-bikes and sharing your knowledge with others to be a better consumer. I'd like to bend your ear some more but I'd be happy to repay you with your favorite beverage (coffee/beer - whatever your drink of choice is!) or meal.

I'm hesitant to try another Trek e-bike since my Trek FX+ was a disappointment. It did get me back into bicycling after a +15 yr hiatus, putting in 3500mi/yr commuting and casual biking. I have lost interest the past few years and hope that this next step will re-ignite the passion. I still plan to ride my Domane 5.9 and I also have a Madone 4.7 that spends most of it's life attached to a Wahoo Kickr Snap or on my Kreitler rollers.

Thanks again for all you do! I look forward to hearing more from you . . .

Wow!!!! Thank you for the prompt reply and all the information! I was really impressed by Court's video of the Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0 and thought it would be the one . . . for some reason, I keep coming back to the Stromer ST2. I don't foresee myself doing century rides with it but it would be nice for commuting (@5am) as well as running errands/shopping. The Haibikes (Trekking S Rx and the SDURO Trekking 5) look like great options. The Bulls LACUBA EVO E45 intrigues me even more than the Dail-E Grinder; as for lighting, I have the DesignShine DS-500 tail light and DS-1300 headlight ( http://store.designshinelighting.com ) - phenomenal lighting!

I really appreciate your genuine passion for e-bikes and sharing your knowledge with others to be a better consumer. I'd like to bend your ear some more but I'd be happy to repay you with your favorite beverage (coffee/beer - whatever your drink of choice is!) or meal.

I'm hesitant to try another Trek e-bike since my Trek FX+ was a disappointment. It did get me back into bicycling after a +15 yr hiatus, putting in 3500mi/yr commuting and casual biking. I have lost interest the past few years and hope that this next step will re-ignite the passion. I still plan to ride my Domane 5.9 and I also have a Madone 4.7 that spends most of it's life attached to a Wahoo Kickr Snap or on my Kreitler rollers.

Thanks again for all you do! I look forward to hearing more from you . . .

Pleasure is mine!
Many people have been very kind to me and have helped immensely. I am happy to help in anyway I can.
Trek FX+ is a pretty old model and the tech has moved on quite a bit. The latest bikes are in a league of its own.
I live close to the UIC campus. Let me know if you want to try out my ST2 or Trekking S Rx or both for a day or two and see if it suits your commute.
Whatever you choose, I am pretty certain that these new crop of ebikes will re-ignite your passion for biking.

Back