Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

God knows I want the Haibke Urban Plus!

E-bikes are a bit out of my budget range, but at this price, I finally have a chance to join in. My bike dealer here in NYC had the Urban Plus listed for $3,599 on their site two days ago. I emailed them about my interest and pointed out that it was being sold for $1,699 elsewhere (and asked about their price match guarantee). They followed up by promptly removing the bike from their website! They said that they would still order the bike for me at the lower price, but they would not advise me to buy it due to COBI/TransX issues (they did not elaborate). They also said they would not be selling the bike anymore because of said "issues." I won't reveal their name, but this is a very reputable shop with all-around excellent customer service.

However, I wasn't sure if they were telling me not to buy it because they were going to take a loss at $1699, or because the issues regarding my this beautiful dream bike were true. Still wanting to buy, I came to this forum as a last minute check. After reading, it would appear (by some accounts) that there is merit to the COBI/TransX connectivity rumor. Now I'm stopping to think; why does a top brand german ebike with high-end components, hidden battery and shift sensing 28MPH motor, COBI system, absolutely beautiful design have a $1,699 price tag??? Hmm...

All I wanted was to come to this forum and have everyone confirm how great the Urban Plus is, so I silence this nagging inner warning and buy this baby! Instead, what do I find here? The ugly truth! LOL! No matter how painful, I have to appreciate all the honest reviews. I don't know, at this low price, perhaps the pros outweigh the cons? Anyway, my thanks to everyone contributing to this forum.

Now I'm stopping to think; why does a top brand german ebike with high-end components, hidden battery and shift sensing 28MPH motor, COBI system, absolutely beautiful design have a $1,699 price tag???

Because They ordered 450 bikes of the same kind and did a poor job marketing them and the market changed so much in a year that they are now liquidating the stock. When Juiced is selling bikes at $1699, Rad Power at $1499, this bike wasn't a great value at $3699. But, at $1600, it's an excellent value.

Bike shops don't make a lot of profit on this bike and they sway the customers to bikes that are profitable. Apart from the small COBI glitch (the company is now bought by Bosch), it is a great value.

I have not seen troubles with that TranzX motor. Yes, Yamaha or Bosch may be slightly better but not $2000 better.

Because They ordered 450 bikes of the same kind and did a poor job marketing them and the market changed so much in a year that they are now liquidating the stock. When Juiced is selling bikes at $1699, Rad Power at $1499, this bike wasn't a great value at $3699. But, at $1600, it's an excellent value.

Bike shops don't make a lot of profit on this bike and they sway the customers to bikes that are profitable. Apart from the small COBI glitch (the company is now bought by Bosch), it is a great value.

I have not seen troubles with that TranzX motor. Yes, Yamaha or Bosch may be slightly better but not $2000 better.

Thanks for the info! At least I feel better now about why they are selling them at this price.

For what it’s worth, I also asked my local dealer about a Haibike Trekking 4.0 because I’ve heard that they’re discounted too. Not as drastically (few hundred $$s) but makes me think Haibike prices are negotiable. And that has a Yamaha motor, not the Tranzx. Components seem similar, but no COBI (has an lcd).

God knows I want the Haibke Urban Plus!

E-bikes are a bit out of my budget range, but at this price, I finally have a chance to join in. My bike dealer here in NYC had the Urban Plus listed for $3,599 on their site two days ago. I emailed them about my interest and pointed out that it was being sold for $1,699 elsewhere (and asked about their price match guarantee). They followed up by promptly removing the bike from their website! They said that they would still order the bike for me at the lower price, but they would not advise me to buy it due to COBI/TransX issues (they did not elaborate). They also said they would not be selling the bike anymore because of said "issues." I won't reveal their name, but this is a very reputable shop with all-around excellent customer service.

However, I wasn't sure if they were telling me not to buy it because they were going to take a loss at $1699, or because the issues regarding my this beautiful dream bike were true. Still wanting to buy, I came to this forum as a last minute check. After reading, it would appear (by some accounts) that there is merit to the COBI/TransX connectivity rumor. Now I'm stopping to think; why does a top brand german ebike with high-end components, hidden battery and shift sensing 28MPH motor, COBI system, absolutely beautiful design have a $1,699 price tag??? Hmm...

All I wanted was to come to this forum and have everyone confirm how great the Urban Plus is, so I silence this nagging inner warning and buy this baby! Instead, what do I find here? The ugly truth! LOL! No matter how painful, I have to appreciate all the honest reviews. I don't know, at this low price, perhaps the pros outweigh the cons? Anyway, my thanks to everyone contributing to this forum.

Emerson-You are not alone with your sentiments regarding this bike. Looks like an excellent value as others have pointed out for all of the top notch components you get with this bike. There was another owner that bought this bike and was able to toggle between the Intuvia display or COBI at his/her discretion. However, not sure if this can be done with the US version of this bike. Not a bad idea to inquire about that known option on the European models. Good luck with your purchase!

I'm a bike enthusiast and also a software developer so for me COBI's opensource API is a great test-ground for ideas. In deed I'm currently making a couple of customized 'Modules' for my rides via COBI API.

I think the issues that were experienced early 2016/17 was regarding Bluetooth connectivity dropouts. I have the a latest Android phone with Bluetooth version 4.2 and its is very fast without lagtime. So yes u will need latest iPhone or Android to be sure u don't experience lagtime etc.

As a footnote even without carrying your smartphone, your COBI.bike can still function as a front and rear light and you can still switch through the different modes of the AmbiSense Light System. Also, the electronic bell is still functioning. If you own an eBike you can choose the motor support levels using the thumb controller.
Looking at COBI development.docs the system is made to fall back to no GPS signals etc. So the bike should not come to a grinding halt if GPS etc. is not avail.

Why would Haibike risk destroying their reputation selling off a bunch of troublesome bikes to make a few bucks?! not...and the dealers hate low margin SALE bikes so they will always try to up-sell to their highest margin sales, just to keep in mind.

Just my 2cents..

Last edited:
Emerson-You are not alone with your sentiments regarding this bike. Looks like an excellent value as others have pointed out for all of the top notch components you get with this bike. There was another owner that bought this bike and was able to toggle between the Intuvia display or COBI at his/her discretion. However, not sure if this can be done with the US version of this bike. Not a bad idea to inquire about that known option on the European models. Good luck with your purchase!

Hey, I really appreciate the info. Thanks!

I'm a bike enthusiast and also a software developer so for me COBI's opensource API is a great test-ground for ideas. In deed I'm currently making a couple of customized 'Modules' for my rides via COBI API.

I think the issues that were experienced early 2016/17 was regarding Bluetooth connectivity dropouts. I have the a latest Android phone with Bluetooth version 4.2 and its is very fast without lagtime. So yes u will need latest iPhone or Android to be sure u don't experience lagtime etc.

As a footnote even without carrying your smartphone, your COBI.bike can still function as a front and rear light and you can still switch through the different modes of the AmbiSense Light System. Also, the electronic bell is still functioning. If you own an eBike you can choose the motor support levels using the thumb controller.
Looking at COBI development.docs the system is made to fall back to no GPS signals etc. So the bike should not come to a grinding halt if GPS etc. is not avail.

Why would Haibike risk destroying their reputation selling off a bunch of troublesome bikes to make a few bucks?! not...and the dealers hate low margin SALE bikes so they will always try to up-sell to their highest margin sales, just to keep in mind.

Just my 2cents..

Zoli-So in your opinion, if you do not have the latest and greatest version of Bluetooth on your smartphone, you will not get the best performance from COBI?
My question: If you do not have a newer smartphone, can you just simply download the latest Bluetooth version on an older smartphone. (ie: I have a Motorola Moto E.) So in theory, this may very well explain why some owners of the Urban have connectivity issues and others do not??

Last edited:

wow. I have been wondering why I'm seeing such "cheap" prices for Haibike models everywhere. Thanks for the info.

So there is "nothing wrong" with the Urban plus model other than bluetooth connectivity issues with certain phones? It's an amazing steal at $1,699 then!

wow. I have been wondering why I'm seeing such "cheap" prices for Haibike models everywhere. Thanks for the info.

So there is "nothing wrong" with the Urban plus model other than bluetooth connectivity issues with certain phones? It's an amazing steal at $1,699 then!

Moonshine-That is the impression I am getting also from the latest posts here regarding the Urban...

The Urban Plus seems like a steal at that price, but I keep wondering whether the Trekking 4.0 for just a little more $$ would be a better and more reliable ebike because of the non-COBI interface and Yamaha battery/motor. I'm torn between these two!

I totally agree with this . Transx imo is still way better value than the low end hub or mid drive kits and the bike is also good quality.

Trek super commuter is another example of an overpriced bicycle. The bike is beautiful but seriously it is just another no-suspension bike with bosch speed motor. I can see that bike for 2.5K not 5. I guess the big bicycle companies don't rely on selling ebikes hence you rarely see these kind of discounts. Things will change in the near future though. Their ridiculous pricing is because their market so far were elderly people who can spend 3-4K+ easier on a bicycle.

Zoli-So in your opinion, if you do not have the latest and greatest version of Bluetooth on your smartphone, you will not get the best performance from COBI?
My question: If you do not have a newer smartphone, can you just simply download the latest Bluetooth version on an older smartphone. (ie: I have a Motorola Moto E.) So in theory, this may very well explain why some owners of the Urban have connectivity issues and others do not??

In my experience older version of Bluetooth had drop out problems. Latest phones will run Bluetooth 4+ which is lower power usage and better range. 60 meters (200 ft) for Bluetooth 4 and 250meters for Bluetooth 5...and way more stable. But looking at the COBI API code the system is designed to be redundant from dropouts. i.e. If there is a break in GPS signal the system falls back and runs no problem...in any-case u do not need the phone to run the bike, the thumb-controller will be enough for that. So unless the motor is faulty or the sensor to the motor is not working the bike should run fine no probs. So anyone having 'issues' with the URBAN shutting down etc. should try using other phones or run the bike without the phone to try to replicate the problem. IF the problem/error can be replicated WITHOUT the phone then look at your battery and the motor for further troubleshooting. Electric bikes are a whole different beast, so unless u like tinkering and tweaking systems don't buy the latest and the greatest technology can offer! Go analog. ;)

Last edited:
The Urban Plus seems like a steal at that price, but I keep wondering whether the Trekking 4.0 for just a little more $$ would be a better and more reliable ebike because of the non-COBI interface and Yamaha battery/motor. I'm torn between these two!
I cross shopped these and a CCS. Ended up buying an ST1 on clearance.
I think I would have enjoyed the cobi more than my simple interface I have now, to be honest. Originally the cobi was seen as a potential negative.
The Urban Plus is a solid bike and great deal at it's 1/2 off price.

You should buy from a local dealer as haibike has some language that makes it seem like the warranty is between you and the place you bought it from. Not like a car that you could take to any Manu. dealer for warranty work.

I went on Haibike's website and do not see this bike easily listed. You have to go on the Haibike finder section to find the bike.

Back