Haibike Urban Plus 2017 - The most exciting Urban E-bike!

I'll be getting my Urban Plus next week, hopng they've sorted out most of the system bugs, will have to look for firmware updates.
I was afraid to buy it. My phone is turning off in the cold. I bought a Haibike Trekking S 5.0 2017. But I'll waiting for your update.

From what I've been told by my dealer. You don't need your phone to get the power assist or operate the lights etc. You're just sort of riding blind! I may even use an old Iphone 5 instead of my actual phone for riding etc. That being said I like the idea of using one device, I already have too many other gadgets to manage!

From what I've been told by my dealer. You don't need your phone to get the power assist or operate the lights etc. You're just sort of riding blind! I may even use an old Iphone 5 instead of my actual phone for riding etc. That being said I like the idea of using one device, I already have too many other gadgets to manage!

Your dealer is correct according to a video that indicated your phone does not need to be on the bike if you decide to take a 'quick ride'. Lets hope that you can get full functionality of the interface once you get it hooked up. Court did a review on the Izip E3 with COLBI and he mentioned that it took a good hour to get everything in sync and charge the actual COBI battery that comes with the system. A bit cumbersome, but worth the setup time.

All just wanted to let you know I received the bike last week (in the middle of a snow and ice storm) so I finally was able to commute on it today. Have to say I love it. My normal 60-65 min commute was reduced to 40 minutes. The COBI system is great. Once I downloaded the APP on my phone, it immediately married up to the bike. Literally a 30 second setup, so they must have worked out a lot of the bugs. No problems since. The bike was easy to ride and the assist was great. No complaints, I would recommend this to anyone that wants a decent bike at a great price! I did test the bike on the first ride too without my phone and the controls were very easy to get the hang of. You could set your assist level, and get battery level from the battery LED display itself. So even if you don't have your phone, no problem you can still ride.

if you any specific questions let me know. I'll be heading out in a few to ride home!

Thank you so much for your input on the Urban Plus! If I could ask one more favor...Do you have many downhills on your ride? My reason for asking is I am wondering of the bike is geared high enough so when you peddle past 28mph going downhill, do you still get some push? Give it a few days before you reply so you can inform me of any other details that might be helpful...pros or cons. I am getting pretty close to my decision. Leaning heavily toward the Haibike. Thanks!

My Urban Plus is 2017. To answer your question going downhill, once the speedometer approaches 28 mph the assist completely shuts down. You can still go faster (which I did) but it's under your own power.

So last night on my ride home about 4 miles into it while climbing a very steep but short hill (>13%, 200 ft long) I received a message that said shutting down motor due to low battery. The battery still read 18%! I was left pedaling away unassisted. After about 1.5 miles of this I stopped, shutdown the bike then restarted it to get a the rest of my ride home assisted. It seems that when the motor had to work really hard it had some sort of failsafe. Does anyone understand how this works?

A bit about my ride: It's 14 miles each way, with about 1000 ft of climbing and descending. (https://www.strava.com/activities/1427116901) when I started the battery was at 92%, when I arrived I was at 44%, I decided bot to charge during the day and see how I would do on the way home. I was definitely stretching the battery to its limit. It was only about 40F during the ride each way, and I used level 3 and level 4 assist most of the way in, most of the way home after the shutdown I kept it at level 1 or 2 to make sure I was able to get home.

I'm still happy with the bike but want to understand where the limits are for the battery life. I feel like 18% should not be where it shuts down. My car does not shut itself off when I have 1/4 tank left of gas, why should my bike down the same?

This is my first and only E-Bike I have ever owned or ridden. My primary reason for buying it was for my wife to use for quick errands around the city. SO I'm not too worried about the short battery life but thought I should be able to get 28 miles out of a single charge, even with the 2000 ft of total climbing. I normally commute on my road bike for exercise and training, as I still road race and compete triathlons frequently.

Ok good to know I figured that was about the limit. I weigh about 157 lbs, and I had maybe another 10 lbs in gear. Like I said it's primarily for my wife that will make 3-5 mile jaunts to the grocery store etc. Luckily she weighs a 125 lbs, so even if she gets 25 lbs of groceries we should be fine.

Thank you so much for the info. I'm wondering how much impact the 40 degree temp had. Next time you make the trip, if you don't mind, try with a full 100% charge and see if you have the same issue of shutting down. Also let me know the temp. I so appreciate all the info!

All just wanted to let you know I received the bike last week (in the middle of a snow and ice storm) so I finally was able to commute on it today. Have to say I love it. My normal 60-65 min commute was reduced to 40 minutes. The COBI system is great. Once I downloaded the APP on my phone, it immediately married up to the bike. Literally a 30 second setup, so they must have worked out a lot of the bugs. No problems since. The bike was easy to ride and the assist was great. No complaints, I would recommend this to anyone that wants a decent bike at a great price! I did test the bike on the first ride too without my phone and the controls were very easy to get the hang of. You could set your assist level, and get battery level from the battery LED display itself. So even if you don't have your phone, no problem you can still ride.

if you any specific questions let me know. I'll be heading out in a few to ride home!

Thanks for the detailed update. We were all waiting impatiently for the outcome. This is a real game changer for this bike at this price. Now I have to head out and get a test ride before the sale expires. Kudos and Congrats!!

Last edited:
My Urban Plus is 2017. To answer your question going downhill, once the speedometer approaches 28 mph the assist completely shuts down. You can still go faster (which I did) but it's under your own power.

So last night on my ride home about 4 miles into it while climbing a very steep but short hill (>13%, 200 ft long) I received a message that said shutting down motor due to low battery. The battery still read 18%! I was left pedaling away unassisted. After about 1.5 miles of this I stopped, shutdown the bike then restarted it to get a the rest of my ride home assisted. It seems that when the motor had to work really hard it had some sort of failsafe. Does anyone understand how this works?

A bit about my ride: It's 14 miles each way, with about 1000 ft of climbing and descending. (https://www.strava.com/activities/1427116901) when I started the battery was at 92%, when I arrived I was at 44%, I decided bot to charge during the day and see how I would do on the way home. I was definitely stretching the battery to its limit. It was only about 40F during the ride each way, and I used level 3 and level 4 assist most of the way in, most of the way home after the shutdown I kept it at level 1 or 2 to make sure I was able to get home.

I'm still happy with the bike but want to understand where the limits are for the battery life. I feel like 18% should not be where it shuts down. My car does not shut itself off when I have 1/4 tank left of gas, why should my bike down the same?

This is my first and only E-Bike I have ever owned or ridden. My primary reason for buying it was for my wife to use for quick errands around the city. SO I'm not too worried about the short battery life but thought I should be able to get 28 miles out of a single charge, even with the 2000 ft of total climbing. I normally commute on my road bike for exercise and training, as I still road race and compete triathlons frequently.

18% left on a battery- then shutdown?? This does not sound right. I do not know this bike well enough yet, so hopefully someone with more experience could answer that question. I just hope it is not a glitch in the controller or COBI software. Just guessing.

I have ridden my ebike with approx 14% left on the battery, and the system automatically reduces the PAS level to ECO, alerting the rider to conserve and continue at that level. I was quite impressed the way the system took control, however, I did not have a complete battery shutdown, just a warning once the battery was approaching about 8% remaining while beginning to flash. My assumption is different bikes perform differently under those same conditions. Like you have stated perhaps a failsafe warning...

Last edited:
Ok good to know I figured that was about the limit. I weigh about 157 lbs, and I had maybe another 10 lbs in gear. Like I said it's primarily for my wife that will make 3-5 mile jaunts to the grocery store etc. Luckily she weighs a 125 lbs, so even if she gets 25 lbs of groceries we should be fine.

Gdufour- Just curious if you have any updates regarding the functionality of your COBI system on your new bike. I was hoping that new firmware updates have corrected a lot of issues some of the members have had with the system. Has it been reliable? Thanks!

Just bought Urban Plus. Exciting bike! So far no glitches. Will buy another for my girlfriend if it woks out or get a Stromer

Just bought Urban Plus. Exciting bike! So far no glitches. Will buy another for my girlfriend if it woks out or get a Stromer

Great to hear Zoli! Please keep us posted with any COBI related issues with this bike. It would be great to know if COBI released a firmware update to circumvent some of the ongoing issues with the system. :D

Great to hear Zoli! Please keep us posted with any COBI related issues with this bike. It would be great to know if COBI released a firmware update to circumvent some of the ongoing issues with the system. :D
Just checked the firmware and it is the latest one: 1.8.1 The COBI interface is well thought out slick and intuitive.

Reading this thread with a lot of interest - thanks to all the contributors so far. I was thinking about a RadCity but I'm worried that the mid-mount will be better suited to handle the two hills I'll have to travel when commuting, both short but >9%. Plus, the price on the Urban Plus is eye-catching, and it's a great looking bike in either color option.

Gdufour- Just curious if you have any updates regarding the functionality of your COBI system on your new bike. I was hoping that new firmware updates have corrected a lot of issues some of the members have had with the system. Has it been reliable? Thanks!
So far no problems. I just had my wife connect her phone to it and it appears that both of us can have the APP and share the bike. I was a bit concerned about this but it seems to be fine.

So far no problems. I just had my wife connect her phone to it and it appears that both of us can have the APP and share the bike. I was a bit concerned about this but it seems to be fine.

Gdufour-That is great news! Thanks for the update!

I also see Zoli has a good report for the Urban. I was looking at the different app modes and they look very impressive with so many useful features for the rider. Sounds like it is also a good idea to test COBI with 2 different phones allowing each user to personalize their settings.

Back