Haibike SES jockey wheel noise?

DanInStPete

Some of you may have seen this in the general forum, but since it might be Haibike specific I wanted to post here.

If you have a Haibike with the Sprocket Equalizing System (with the second sprocket, or jockey pulley), does it sound like this?

I thought it might be a Bosch issue but now I'm thinking it's that pulley wheel...

That’s a great idea but it won’t work with this design. With the tiny chain ring the bottom arm of the rear triangle would be in the way.

I'll tell you what I'd do. I'd get out an old chain, splice it to the right length without the pulley and then try again. Fixing e-bikes is about eliminating the variables...
It's a design feature to eliminate chain slap on a full suspension emtb. Eliminating it would not be a good idea. It's an idler gear, not a pulley.

It's a design feature to eliminate chain slap on a full suspension emtb.

It's a design feature to keep the chain stay (subsequently, the wheelbase) short. This improves handling and agility on the trails.
To do this, they brought the rear wheel closer but the suspension linkage is such that it obstructs the chain, so they introduced the SES design to eliminate that problem.

So maybe it makes that sound because the chain is not pulling or pushing on it as with the chain ring and cassette.

No, it makes the noise mainly because of the shape of the gear and the diameter of the gear doesn't help. If you look closely at it with a flashlight, you'll see the link side bars contact a shoulder on the gear. I didn't know my chain was this juicy, so needs a wipe down. But it's quieter this way.

Attachments

• IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,328
Yup, I see it. Well I'm happy nothing is wrong with my new bike. Not a fan of that noise but it's not the end of the world...

I'm glad you found someone that you would believe about your annoyance with the SES. I've had the feeling you don't believe anything I've said to help you. That said, I now have 3,300 miles on my Full Seven and the bearings are as good as the day I bought it. As long as you don't pressure wash your bike, bearing life on the SES is very good. I don't know of any grease that isn't waterproof unless you throw a bunch of detergent at it.

I'm glad you found someone that you would believe about your annoyance with the SES. I've had the feeling you don't believe anything I've said to help you. That said, I now have 3,300 miles on my Full Seven and the bearings are as good as the day I bought it. As long as you don't pressure wash your bike, bearing life on the SES is very good. I don't know of any grease that isn't waterproof unless you throw a bunch of detergent at it.
Not that I didn't believe you rich c, just was getting conflicting info. I have two people with my exact same bike saying theirs are quiet and don't sound like mine in the video!

I find the noise pretty annoying. I was out for a couple hours in the brush yesterday and it's just constant. Though when I wear my Aftershockz and jam I don't hear it, so...

Good info on the bearing. I've heard of people replacing those a few hundred miles, and another at 1,000. I never pressure wash my bikes so I should be good.

I have same noise and its slightly disturbing.

I read elsewhere to shorten chain and use wet lube to remedy.

I guess that was you!

Last edited:
Yup, that was me. I was all over this problem for a month and finally gave up. Then fixed it accidentally by shortening the chain due to a shifting problem. It's still gets noisy beginning 20-30 miles after lube, but not nearly as loud as it was.

It looks appears the things that make the inherent noise problem worse are:

- Chain too long
- Bearing inside the pulley warn out (sometimes in as little as 200 miles)
- Using dry lube (too a lesser extent).

Back