Haibike dealer support is terrible.

Sweetwater

My bike came from SanDiego Fly & Ride. When I had a warranty issue with the left Madura 4T brake I contacted them and left multiple messages with NO response.
Now that I've put ~ 700 miles on the bike, it could use a tune and software update.
I have been calling local Haibike dealers trying to hookup a service appointment.
They have been across the board not service oriented.

The first question from each of them is:
Is it our bike? Did we sell you that bike? Did you buy the bike from us?
And then the conversation deteriorates, particularly if I simply answer: No
Reply:Well, we don't do warranty work on bikes we didn't sell.
Me: I'm not calling to have warranty work.
Reply: We prefer to work on bikes that came out of our shop, can you take it to the shop where you bought it?

Absolutely not a service business model that will result in customer loyalty unless you consider forced loyalty a positive quality.
That's my ebike, Haibike rant for today.

The dealer experience varies dramatically, but I'm definitely in the same boat as you. My local dealer where I purchased my Haibike has long turn around times and the shop tech just seems to punt things out the door as soon as possible. For example, my Haibike went in for Bosch warranty support, it was there for three weeks. The bike was ready and they didn't call or email. I then pickup the bike and it hasn't even had a basic inspection for shifting and tire pressure. They basically let me head right out the door with a semi functional bike.

I hear your pain with dealer support. For someone like me who uses this bike as a commuter car replacement, dealers need to improve their service model and reduce turn-around times. And they also need to get rid of that sorry "don't care, you're sol attitude" that seems to be present in this industry.

Dropping $3k or more on a bike and I'd expect a bit better service. As a consumer you want to spend money locally but it's hard to win me over when I read bad customer service stories about the local LSB sucking so badly.

I don't think it is just Haibike. It seems a lot of bike shops and particularly the e-bike exclusive shops focus completely on the front-end sales. Very little is devoted to the back-end service. I've been fortunate to find a traditional bike shop that places a large banner out front that says "we service all makes/models" and they do have a decent sized service department. The main issue there is I've found a big difference in the skill level of their techs (a few experienced and thorough and a few not so much). But yes, these manufacturers should really be selecting their dealers with care and ensuring they have the service to protect their brands. On the flip side, these dealers should be ensuring the manufacturer is committed to the US market and can ensure availability of parts and warranty support etc.

I guess one complaint I would add about the foreign manufacturers Haibike included: I would think if you start selling in the USA that you would ensure there are compatible accessories available for your product. With Haibike I didn't like that they used a rack with odd size rails and a specific attachment system for which there were no accessories available in the USA.

If I understand correctly, a tune and software update is just dropping off the cover to clean around the module, and then plugging into a laptop. I talked to one tech about his Bosch certification. He said that because almost all issues other than software, they almost always tell them to pull the entire motor module and send it in. He has yet to pull a module. He said our district rep told him they have sent back 4 modules since he started representing Haibike. I didn't ask how many years that was. His certification took about a half day. Surprised any LBS would turn down the work, but, they certainly have the prerogative to develop their own business plan. Just like the option you chose to save money by not buying local. If the LBS won't help me, I'll have a 4 hour drive to the shop I bought my 2 at. My cost for buying from a LBS with a volume based business plan.

While we're on this topic, the last time my bike was acting up, the dealer installed a new firmware. They charged me $35. I didn't make a big fuss about it, but after watching the shop tech complete the procedure it was definitely not $35 of labor. Anyone else's shop charge for a firmware update?

The dealer experience varies dramatically, but I'm definitely in the same boat as you. My local dealer where I purchased my Haibike has long turn around times and the shop tech just seems to punt things out the door as soon as possible. For example, my Haibike went in for Bosch warranty support, it was there for three weeks. The bike was ready and they didn't call or email. I then pickup the bike and it hasn't even had a basic inspection for shifting and tire pressure. They basically let me head right out the door with a semi functional bike.

I hear your pain with dealer support. For someone like me who uses this bike as a commuter car replacement, dealers need to improve their service model and reduce turn-around times. And they also need to get rid of that sorry "don't care, you're sol attitude" that seems to be present in this industry.

Dropping $3k or more on a bike and I'd expect a bit better service. As a consumer you want to spend money locally but it's hard to win me over when I read bad customer service stories about the local LSB sucking so badly.

I understand the issues of not buying locally.
When a local business actually competes for my business, I step up and support them.
The tactics and responses I've had from local Haibike dealers have not deserved that support.
When I shopped for a bike, several of them told me I wouldn't get service if I didn't buy from them.
With a price differential of just under $2k, it's a no-brainer to take the 40-45% discount.
I don't ask for warranty support from them either but San Diego Fly n Ride doesn't deliver on it's advertised support.
I'm simply shopping for a local service and the lack of it is very obvious to me.
I'm not in the boonies, it's a metropolitan area and I don't mind driving 15-20 miles for a good shop.
There don't seem to be any good shops available.

@Sweetwater, with @San Diego Fly Rides it's FACETIME that counts. I don't mean the app, I mean real, face to face contact. I've had a similar experience with SD Fly Rides not returning my calls. But eventually they did and I scheduled a service appointment to convert to tubeless, new brake pads, new chain, and general tune-up. It cost a ton, but they did a good job.

And the warranty item I had been bugging them about for months and for which they had been ignoring me? A clip that holds the speed sensor wire to the frame had fallen off. The Haibike distributor told me they don't carry it as a part item (which is probably why SD Fly Rides had been ignoring me). I asked about it when I picked up my bike and, sure enough, they had a clip, no charge.

But I agree with you, they don't seem eager to do warranty work. I would go down to their shop (they're on Girard now, not in the little hole-in-the-wall) and ask them to honor the warranty. If you do, please follow up and tell us about your experience.

Where are you located Sweetwater? If anywhere near Mesa AZ I highly recommend Archer Bikes. Despite not buying my Haibike from them, they graciously performed warranty work and a software update for me at a nominal charge. Very professional too!

Agree on archer bikes also

They made a point of telling me last year they will work on all my electric bikes and it did not matter where i bought them

These people want your business

To clarify: dealer support would be the support to the dealer from Haibike.
You mean customer support from those Haibike dealers.
Semantics ;)

I"ll give a hearty recommendation to Summit City Bikes here in Fort Wayne, IN. They've jumped into Ebikes and though they don't sell Haibike they gladly serviced mine including running diagnostics and update checks on my motor. I got a nice printout with a lot of information on the bikes use and they didn't charge me a dime for any of that. Paid $70 for a "stage 2" tuneup (wheels trued) and the Bosch stuff was n/c.
They sell Specialized and Electra and Trek. Nice guys too. And right on the bike trail (80+ miles here) so you can test ride bikes.
I bought the Xduro FS RX from Crazy Lenny's in Wisconsin 2 years ago and been sweating service since, so thrilled to find someone local willing to look at the business end of this and be prepared to work on anything.
https://summitcitybikes.com/?gclid=...G29AkcG8fhCdL35zbi9fH_nCKjvSRjDhoCNjIQAvD_BwE

Back