Haggling on price for Specialized Vado 4.0

Rogerc53

Region
USA
Has anyone been able to "deal" with the bike shop on the price of a Specialized bike?
I am ready to buy a Vado 4.0 and want the best deal possible.
Thanks in Advance

Up here in Canada, inventory seems tight and there's a shortage of bikes in the size you might need.
I doubt anybody will "deal". Having said that (and in the market myself), with down trending economy, there might be deals over the next few months as the 2023 come online from the factory.

Speaking of which, I am new to the bike and Specialized world but when do new model years start hitting the LBSs?

No way. You can't even find these bikes in stores really. I had to wait about 9 months for a store to get  one in inventory here in Vancouver, which I purchased the day they got it.

Has anyone been able to "deal" with the bike shop on the price of a Specialized bike?
Thanks in Advance

your only hope really is to look at the specialized website and see if there are times when certain sizes or models go on sales, usually in the 10-20% range. e.g. recently they had a "we made too many" sale. the larger sizes of the creo are often on sale, but i've not seen it pop up for the vado. the most likely time is just before the new models are released, which is around this time of year.

the good news is the vado 4.0 (in all sizes) seems to be widely available, at least around here. many in stock within a few miles.

Even in the good pre-pandemic times, big brands such as Specialized, Trek or Giant required their dealers to sell the bikes at the list price (with a customary 10% discount, at least here). As mschwett said, there happen to be special sales, typically limited to the United States. There was an unexplained U.S. sale of Vado 4.0 just in the beginning of the pandemic. Commercially, it was a blunder as soon it turned out any e-bikes or bikes disappeared from the market (so Specialized could have sold the Vados at the full price!)

To get a real bargain on a Specialized e-bike requires a miracle. In 2019, I could find a single unsold 2017 Euro "Speed" version of Vado 5.0 that the EU distributor could not get rid of. Not only the list price on that model was reasonably low but also I got -30% discount off the list price. I paid the equivalent of US$3,950 then; and a guy in Finland I personally know made a similar bargain. (Nowadays, the equivalent model in 2022 dollars is US$6,600).

Last edited:
My LBS gave me Vado 5 SL EQ and took $500 off without my even asking. The savings “funded” all my upgrades; tires, seat and seat post, handlebars, phone mount, grips etc.

Even in the good pre-pandemic times, big brands such as Specialized, Trek or Giant required their dealers to sell the bikes at the list price (with a customary 10% discount, at least here). As mschwett said, there happen to be special sales, typically limited to the United States. There was an unexplained U.S. sale of Vado 4.0 just in the beginning of the pandemic. Commercially, it was a blunder as soon it turned out any e-bikes or bikes disappeared from the market (so Specialized could have sold the Vados at the full price!)

To get a real bargain on a Specialized e-bike requires a miracle. In 2019, I could find a single unsold 2017 Euro "Speed" version of Vado 5.0 that the EU distributor could not get rid of. Not only the list price on that model was reasonably low but also I got -30% discount off the list price. I paid the equivalent of US$3,950 then; and a guy in Finland I personally know made a similar bargain. (Nowadays, the equivalent model in 2022 dollars is US$6,600).
Thanks in Advance
I was able to secure a discount on a Creo last year from a shop that experienced flooding and needed to thin inventory (bike was undamaged). A friend also purchased a Creo during a Specialized 20% off Black Friday event last fall. Inventory on Specialized site appeared more robust then. Supply seems to have significantly thinned.

Back