H5 or shred

Nyzd21

Hi, I'm new to ebikes and looking to buy my first one but can't make a decision between addmotor h5, surface 604 shred or haibike they all seem to be in my price range around 2k. Also need to be a large bike since I'm 6'4 and I'm not sure if the the surface shred is right for me with the 19inch frame but again I'm new to ebikes and in my area are not to many stores and the ones I have visited have a small choice of Ebikes .
Any recommendations?
I really appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Z

Isn’t the Haibike a mid mount motor vs the Surface Shred that’s a hub motor? That’s a major difference & you have to decide whether you want either or. Doing a search on this forum may help you determine which drive is better for what you want to do.

After you decide which drive system meets your needs it’s easier to find a frame size that fits. Also, each manufacturer lists frame specs like effective top tube size & reach which are important aspects that determine the size of the cockpit, ie how cramped you may feel riding the bike due to the distance between the seat & handlebars. At 6’4” you’re probably closer to an XL frame vs a large. I’m 6’2” & ride a large but I just as easily could have fit an XL depending on the manufacturer since each company sizes frames a little different. Finally, if you’re new to biking there’s something to be said for buying from a local dealer since they will help size you properly for the bike as well as any repairs/adjustments you may need once you have the bike.

Hi Z
I just ordered a shred myself. I've had very good response from S604 when I was asking tons of questions to various vendors. It looked like a notch up in quality over the addmotor and the ability to talk with people on the phone is important to me. The Haibike also looks good, but for me the shred was a better fit (feature wise). Size wise I'm 5'11. Give S604 a call and ask them how they think the fit would be for a 6'4 person. Where are you located and what are you looking to do with the bike?
Dave

Isn’t the Haibike a mid mount motor vs the Surface Shred that’s a hub motor? That’s a major difference & you have to decide whether you want either or. Doing a search on this forum may help you determine which drive is better for what you want to do.

After you decide which drive system meets your needs it’s easier to find a frame size that fits. Also, each manufacturer lists frame specs like effective top tube size & reach which are important aspects that determine the size of the cockpit, ie how cramped you may feel riding the bike due to the distance between the seat & handlebars. At 6’4” you’re probably closer to an XL frame vs a large. I’m 6’2” & ride a large but I just as easily could have fit an XL depending on the manufacturer since each company sizes frames a little different. Finally, if you’re new to biking there’s something to be said for buying from a local dealer since they will help size you properly for the bike as well as any repairs/adjustments you may need once you have the bike.
I don't really care about the drive as longest the bike is the right size and reliable. The stores around here don't have much choice and the all overpriced.

Hi Z
I just ordered a shred myself. I've had very good response from S604 when I was asking tons of questions to various vendors. It looked like a notch up in quality over the addmotor and the ability to talk with people on the phone is important to me. The Haibike also looks good, but for me the shred was a better fit (feature wise). Size wise I'm 5'11. Give S604 a call and ask them how they think the fit would be for a 6'4 person. Where are you located and what are you looking to do with the bike?
Dave
You right it does look quality wise better than the H5 but I wasn't sure if the 19 inch frame will do it . My current bike has a 21inch frame but 26inch wheels. Haibike makes a big 22inch with midmotor.
I'm from NYC and most of the time I will use it on streets.

Yes I agree, if you google "frame size chart" you will see tables from many bike suppliers and they all indicate 19" is on the small side for you. 22 is more your size.

As fishwater said, the mid/hub motor is a really big factor to consider. Given your city driving conditions, you may not need the torque advantage the mid drive brings. There are many forum posts to learn about the hub/mid drive pros and cons.

Also look into what speed you want the motor to help you up to. Many bikes are limited to 20 mph assist. Some go up to 28 mph.

Also, consider tire width. Shred has plus size tires. They are a nice compromise between fatties and road tires. But sounds to me like you may be more in the cruiser/road tire camp. Maybe ~2" tires?

Yes I agree, if you google "frame size chart" you will see tables from many bike suppliers and they all indicate 19" is on the small side for you. 22 is more your size.

As fishwater said, the mid/hub motor is a really big factor to consider. Given your city driving conditions, you may not need the torque advantage the mid drive brings. There are many forum posts to learn about the hub/mid drive pros and cons.

Also look into what speed you want the motor to help you up to. Many bikes are limited to 20 mph assist. Some go up to 28 mph.

Also, consider tire width. Shred has plus size tires. They are a nice compromise between fatties and road tires. But sounds to me like you may be more in the cruiser/road tire camp. Wether

Also, consider tire width. Shred has plus size tires. They are a nice compromise between fatties and road tires. But sounds to me like you may be more in the cruiser/road tire camp. Maybe ~2" tires?
I really like the rear hub motors because most come with a throttle and it will give me help moving up hills with my bad knee.
That's why I liked the surface shred and the H5 but the H5 looks more like a toy or future bike . The stores around my neighborhood dont sell to many Ebikes and the ones they have are way to expensive for my use. I won't use it more than 50miles a week.

I finally had a chance to test a ebike and it was a fun ride on a 2018 Raleigh Lore iE but way to much for me it sells for around $3500. The 250w motor is ok in accelerating but ones in top speed I feel like the fat tires are breaking down a little and you still have to put in a decent amount off power to keep moving forward just because I felt my knee pumping after 3-4miles pedaling and it would be helpful having a throttle, I forgot to ask if that could be added to the bike. Also the frame size on the Lg is a 19inch and it was comfortable as the wheel base is long and with the seat set higher it felt better than my 21.5 inch bike.

Attachments

• 20180518_173618.jpg
    20180518_173618.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 465
  • 20180518_173602.jpg
    20180518_173602.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 449
Hi Z
Dave

How do you like the Shred? Thinking of getting one, but still considering options in this price range.

It's being shipped right now. I hope to have it in about a week. I'll be sure to post pictures and my thoughts.

Back