Group Riding with Traditional Gravel Cyclists on E-Bike (dilemmas)

The cyclist who leads my local gravel group is this guy:

He rode 250 miles of gravel in 24 hours. He doesn't need an ebike. :)
I'm riding with a similar person; while the guy is a competing road cyclist, he often rides just for fun and can accept lower speed.

The cyclist who leads my local gravel group is this guy:

He rode 250 miles of gravel in 24 hours. He doesn't need an ebike. :)
Wow crazy amount of miles on a bike or even a motorcycle.

I'm riding with a similar person; while the guy is a competing road cyclist, he often rides just for fun and can accept lower speed.
Awesome. There are several big endurance/fast and fit riders in the local group, but the rides are no drop (and they seem actually stick to it, even on the faster ones) which is pretty cool. I started riding with them because I ran into Kasey while riding solo out near his farm and he was enthusiastic about my ebike and invited me to come ride with them.

I definitely think ebikes are gaining acceptance in the more traditional cycling groups. One of the fast local shop road rides goes right by my house on the weekends, and I even see a few Creos mixed in these days.

So when you say gravel does that mean paved?
Unpaved. I live in Loudoun County, which is home to a very extensive network of very old gravel roads. Most of them look something like this:

qqhwn74l.jpg

EDIT: Heres the group leaving town, to give you an idea of the size:
F65pFQrl.jpg

Unpaved. I live in Loudoun County, which is home to a very extensive network of very old gravel roads. Most of them look something like this
Lovely!

Staszek (the guy I mentioned) is a similar type. If he is on the ride with his club, they are serious and no strangers or no-roadies allowed. When he rides for fun (or does gravel biking), he takes his old hardtail MTB and is never in hurry: his group rides never drop members. He recently made a 342 mile long gravel ultra-marathon on the said MTB (Mazovian gravel often means "sand"). He is not as strong performer as Kasey is when we talk gravel racing but he finished the marathon, and on quite good position.

Unpaved. I live in Loudoun County, which is home to a very extensive network of very old gravel roads. Most of them look something like this:

qqhwn74l.jpg

EDIT: Heres the group leaving town, to give you an idea of the size:
F65pFQrl.jpg
Ok, yes that is hard pack gravel and not loose, which is real good! I've dumped mine on the loose stuff before. So, looks like you found a group that really does stick to the set pace and does not race to the end. I'd love to join a group like that. Any pace over 17 mph and I have to use too much battery to keep up.

Lovely!

Staszek (the guy I mentioned) is a similar type. If he is on the ride with his club, they are serious and no strangers or no-roadies allowed. When he rides for fun (or does gravel biking), he takes his old hardtail MTB and is never in hurry: his group rides never drop members. He recently made a 342 mile long gravel ultra-marathon on the said MTB (Mazovian gravel often means "sand"). He is not as strong performer as Kasey is when we talk gravel racing but he finished the marathon, and on quite good position.
My girlfriend and I both have well lit bikes. Her ebike has spoke lights and ground lights. We like to sometimes ride at night. Mine has super bright tail and headlights and a amber side light for cross traffic. Last night we cruised along the river, on the streets, and bike trails through the parks in total dark. I asked a few people in the group if they ever ride at night and one said said "Not on purpose" lol -I'd love to get some other ebikers to do night runs. It's really nice with very little traffic, very peaceful, with mellow music in my headphones, from my mp3 player, as we cruise along the mighty Columbia River. Here's how my bike looks at night:

Attachments

• MY BIKE 2.jpg
    MY BIKE 2.jpg
    791.1 KB · Views: 206
  • MY BIKE 3.jpg
    MY BIKE 3.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 217
  • MY BIKE.jpg
    MY BIKE.jpg
    779.2 KB · Views: 222
Night riding can be a wonderful experience! One on my riding buddies has invited me for a night off-road ride for tonight :) "No, thank you. Other plans".

Night riding can be a wonderful experience! One on my riding buddies has invited me for a night off-road ride for tonight :) "No, thank you. Other plans".
No, I'm too old for the off road stuff, but riding the trails and roads is great. On a warm night, with no cars around, or very few, it's a real peaceful experience. I just don't understand why I'm seeing so many bikes without lights, day and night. Bikes need lights day and night in or around the city. It's crazy to think that cars can see you in the glare of sunshine and I've seen some people with very expensive looking racing bikes do without them just to save a few more oz.'s of weight. To put yourself at risk of being crushed by a vehicle just to save on a tiny bit of weight is nuts imo. During the day I run one of my headlights on slow flash mode and my amber side light, as well as 3 tail lights that can be seen for about a mile away. I could care less if I add 1 more lb. of weight to keep me alive. lol

Back