Greetings from UK, yet to take the plunge, am thinking DIY so far.

The links work. Apparently you have a browser issue.
the "Grin" link now works, not sure if you edited? but still wouldn't have helped me, and the second link is the one I already linked in a later post, and after reading fully, still does not give the information that I needed, just because it explains live/negative/hall wire colours, it still doesn't go through each controller output in the detail I required but again, thanks for trying to help tomjasz. 👍

UK is close to Europe in spite of Brexit. Far closer than to North America. Let me shortly describe my experience.

Like you, I was considering a conversion (in August 2019). My boss convinced me to buy a proper e-bike (I could afford it). Safer way for sure. Not struggling with many issues of a converted trad bike (are you aware some of users of conversion kits use a voltmeter and think in terms of Ah instead of Wh? So strange. Heard of battery fires?)

There is an economic aspect (quids, quids, quids). There is lack of e-bikes in the market due to pandemic, too. I'm not in your shoes either. Still, a proper e-bike bought from a Local Bike Store, the bike that was designed as e-bike, with the LBS support and warranty handling is the most safe and reasonable way.
Your boss told you to buy a complete ebike because he knows that you're the dimmest of bulbs with the mechanical skills of a 5 year old girl.
And since it's apparent to everyone here that you already know all (but really just all you're capable of) it's futile to attempt to enlighten you.
For example.. Ah is often referred to when discussing battery capacity. A popular subject among diy and it is the correct term.
And a voltmeter is used just as your local bike shop would working on your bike to troubleshoot any electrical issues. They just don't tell you about it as they realize as you're boss has.
So you see... not really a reason for anyone else to follow your path.

@Kriis... Good luck with the bike.
It's obvious that you have some skill and are willing to learn

Last edited:
And a voltmeter is used just as your local bike shop would working on your bike to troubleshoot any electrical issues.
I have seen it being done. They use a computer with e-bike interfaces. I can show you the current voltage of my battery now, from the app.

I have seen it being done. They use a computer with e-bike interfaces. I can show you the current voltage of my battery now, from the app.
And I can show you my battery voltage right on my bikes display, no phone or app necessary.... what's your point?
And the computer and ebike interface is to change programming parameters... again, what's your point as you make many assumptions and they're all wrong.

And I can show you my battery voltage right on my bikes display, no phone or app necessary.... what's your point?
And the computer and ebike interface is to change programming parameters... again, what's your point as you make many assumptions and they're all wrong.
Gionni, to be frank: you make an impression as if you have never even stood by a premium e-bike.
You need no voltage on your display. You need the battery %.

Gionni, to be frank: you make an impression as if you have never even stood by a premium e-bike.
That my friend, is an ignorant comment that goes against any common sense anywhere. Everyone knows that a quality display will show a bar graph with an indicator that goes red just prior to reaching the LVC and your choice of % or voltage depending on which you prefer.....

And you give the impression of being as ignorant as you are arrogant.
My display gives me the option of displaying Voltage OR Percentage as well as always displaying the percentage in a segmented battery bar graph. So you see again you know much less than you presume and I the rider have the choice of information on display and it isn't dictated as is by your proprietary, we'll tell you what you need to know and you'll like it ebike.

Thick as a brick.
A DIYer has to know the voltage. A rider is only interested in accurate battery %.
1650997509956.png

This is said by a rider. A DIYer never leaves the shop.

Why do you need the Voltage information in the first place?
The same reason for knowing any information.... and the same reason you need an app to know yours.
And stop changing the discussion. You said that a diy needed a voltmeter... I was just showing you that you were wrong. In the end I can display either, you can not.

It’s just not worth spending any time trying to enlighten a troll. And that is just what “Richard” has become. Just another thick headed self proclaimed expert with zero eBike skills blathering. A two bike expert. Too funny.

A two bike expert.
Actually, a four e-bike expert, and several other demo ridden.

I actually do love when no-riders such as Tom think they are e-bikers :D Ah, they have the throttle to tow their sorry fat ass.

1651001901486.png

I'd rather expect expertise from riders, not from people who never leave the shop.

I actually do love when no-riders such as Tom think they are e-bikers :D Ah, they have the throttle to tow their sorry fat ass.

View attachment 121451
I'd rather expect expertise from riders, not from people who never leave the shop.
And Thomas and I are Stefan experts... cause we be ridin' you good!

I think there is plenty of fat ass to go around, including yours.... (people in glass houses....)

There is no concern for a DIY'ers bikes never leaving the shop. They don't NEED to go to the shop! They are looked after and taken care of as required. They don't need to wait to be serviced, and, most importantly as far as I'm concerned, there's no over priced total BS logic or inept workmanship to deal with when discussing issues with inexperienced minimum wage help - who treat you like you're the idiot!

A note to the OP-
Please don't be taken aback/put off by the mostly off topic banter. We've been messing with each others heads for quite some time.

If you have a question or something to say, I would really encourage you to go for it. Don't be shy! That's what this space is SUPPOSED to be used for!! -Al

Back