Greetings from Albuquerque...

Howdy from the 505!

I've been an ebike rider since 2016 in ABQ (Radrover and Radcity). Unless something has changed recently, Class I & II with 20 mph max speed ebikes have all the same rights and privileges as pedal bikes on the share the road with cars bike lanes, being able to ride your (e)bike on public sidewalks, and sharing non motorized paths with walkers, joggers, horses, or wheelchair users. I think the only restriction are for Class III ebikes that can go up to 28 mph and having to stick to share the road bike lanes with cars (keeping your Class III under 20 mph would get you back on bike only paths). The wife and I ride all the time up/down the paved and dirt paths along the Rio Grande river. We ride our ebikes around neighborhoods, to Balloon Fiesta park for that event, Rail Yard/Farmer's Markets, or 4th of July fireworks. No issues riding my fat tire ebike in the Sandi foothills and a few trips to Santa Fe to ride. We are usually around 12-17 mph on the bike paths; but, still slower than those "Tour de France" looking pedal bike speed riders zipping down the path alone or in packs.

Having an ebike is the way to go if you want to ride all year since the weather is pretty good in winter (usually dry and cold). I found I can ride my ebike on the super windy spring days that would sideline a pedal bike. Riding my ebike at 15-20 mph really helps cool me off way better with less overheating when summer time temp are 95-105 degrees F.

I was about the only ebike rider back in 2016 and started to ebike commute at 50-70 miles per week to work after 2017. The pandemic stopped that; but, I might start to work commute by ebike this summer. I now see around +/- 30% of the bikes riding the Rio Grande paths are ebikes. I also have a mid-drive Himiway Cobra Pro if you have any question about rear hub -vs- mid drive.

These last couple of days found me along the Rio Grande River Trail, and yes, I did come across a few Ninja Speed Racers, a large healthy looking Coyote, and of course one lonely Road Runner skirting across Lead Ave coming into the Trail. I was on the look out for the infamous Goat Head Stickers, luckily, did not see any, although I did stay on the paved trail. I rode 6 miles North of Lead Ave.

Last edited:
Goathead stickers are not that bad around the Rio Grande river trails. Goathead stickers seems to be more on sidewalks and neighborhood "share the road" bike lanes the further aways you go east/west from river. Plan for more goathead stickers once you ride east of Coors Blvd.

The double wide dirt trails closer to the river between Montano to Central are very nice if you want to ride something different. Those trails are well maintained and you will see the Ninja speed racers occasionally riding them. Might need to hit that trail before the northern mountain snow melt. The Rio Grande can overflow in certain spots onto the double wide dirt trail near Central Ave and Tingley Beach in spring.

Last edited:
I was up in that stretch yesterday, but stayed on the paved trail. I passed the Rio Grande Nature Center (noticed a sign saying no bikes allowed at the entrance - which thinking about it, makes sense), travelled about another mile or so North, and turned around. I also saw 3 APD Officers on bike patrol. The next time I will check out the dirt trail. Thanks for the tip. There are loads of trails a long the river, that's for sure.

Goathead stickers are not that bad around the Rio Grande river trails. Goathead stickers seems to be more on sidewalks and neighborhood "share the road" bike lanes the further aways you go east/west from river. Plan for more goathead stickers once you ride east of Coors Blvd.

The double wide dirt trails closer to the river between Montano to Central are very nice if you want to ride something different. Those trails are well maintained and you will see the Ninja speed racers occasionally riding them. Might need to hit that trail before the northern mountain snow melt. The Rio Grande can overflow in certain spots onto the double wide dirt trail near Central Ave and Tingley Beach in spring.
Would you happen to know how far Paseo del Bosque Trail runs North of Alameda Blvd, that's where the paved trails end from what I gathered. I have been up there twice and I have always gone across the Alameda Bridge (that bridge that's closed off to vehicle traffic) and turn around to head back. I do notice there are dirt trails that run a long the west side of the river. I also don't know how my Aventon Level-2 would be up to that stretch of the trail. I have recently added a Suntour Suspension Seat Post to my bike.. I enter the trail @ Rio Grande Park coming off of Lead Street.

The wife and I occasionally ride beyond that bridge to have breakfast at the Flying Star Cafe. We have to ride the sidewalks and cut through parking lots to the restaurant once we leave that bridge. Not a lot bike lanes and the area is too busy all hours of the day to ride beyond that point. We sometimes ride north on the Bosque paved bike path from Campbell Rd NW, turn right on Alameda Blvd., and head south down Rio Grande Blvd to hit another Flying Star Cafe near Griegos Rd NW. Rio Grande Blvd from I-40 to Alameda Blvd have very wide share the road bike lanes, is really bike friendly, very scenic, and drivers keep their speed +/- 25 mph.

I like to ride the dirt paths north of Alameda Blvd on the west side of the Rio Grande river. There are several single track trails that zig zag and overlapping each other near the river. You still have the extra wide service road for several miles running on top of the flood control levee. There are a few spots on the single track trails that is extremely sandy and it can be difficult to ride even with a fat tire (e)bike. The dirt levee service road north of Alameda is in the same condition as the service road that run right next to the paved bike path from I-40 to Alameda.

The wife and I also like to hit the Farmer's markets like the Los Ranchos Grower's Market on Rio Grande Blvd. Rail Yard, or Downtown Growers' Market. I haven't checked to see if they are open yet. I like to use the bike corrals for a few bucks to watch our ebikes instead of locking to the fence or tree. Very easy to get to the Downtown Growers or Rail Yard cutting through the neighborhood staring around Tingley Beach area. Another good place to stop to hang out for breakfast, hot/cold drink, or snack is the Old Town Farm Bike In Coffee spot just south of I-40/Rio Grande river bridge.

Back