Great ride test of the Pinion gearbox motor MGU.

Thanks for sharing that. Love the MGU concept and would seriously consider one the next time I'm in the ebike market. But that Pinion MGU sounds pretty noisy -- and not a pleasant noise at that. Hope they get that sorted out.

Thanks for sharing that. Love the MGU concept and would seriously consider one the next time I'm in the ebike market. But that Pinion MGU sounds pretty noisy -- and not a pleasant noise at that. Hope they get that sorted out.
Surprising Jones didn't mention it while on the bike. Unless his mic was picking it up louder then he heard it or something. He made a point of talking about, and indeed, was amazed at how quiet it was on downhills while freewheeling.

Odd.

This article wasn’t as enthusiastic about Pinion’s MGU although they did give it thumbs up for its most obvious attributes those being low maintenance, less unsprung weight and the ability to shift under load. Clearly the noise coming from the MGU in the video (that I observed as well) certainly didn’t go unnoticed by the review submitted by E-Mountain Bike Mag.

Perhaps not as cutting edge is SRAM’s AXS T-Type tranny for UDH compatible bikes. Though while it still relies on traditional drivetrain components does offer wireless shifting under max load, virtually gets rid of index tuning adjustments, as well as eliminates the RD hanger utilizing a more robust direct mount design instead. The only caveat might be the price…ouch.

Main MGU Thread below

I'm expected to demo ride the new Specialized Epic 8 Expert with this drivetrain on this Saturday.
Insanely fast bike. Look forward to your review. The Epic 8 Exp comes equipped with Eagle GX AXS tranny which likely gives you the best bang for the buck. I’m also considering the GX as an upgrade on my Levo.

Back