Great Bike Trail - San Antonio, TX

creativepart

Region
USA
Each winter we take our motorhome to Tucson, AZ and I just love the bike trails there - 66 miles around the city. So, this year after returning from AZ I decided to look for similar bike path's in San Antonio which is near to where we live. I had heard that there was a bike trail in the Missions National Park downtown but to my surprise there is a great network of PAVED bike trails all over town. In fact, when completed it will be over 80 miles of paved trails ringing the city. After checking out the system I took my bike to one trailhead parking lot and found it bustling with riders, runners, walkers, etc. Just like in Tucson there are plenty of trail heads with parking lots. Some with bathrooms. A few even have a public Bike Stand and compliment of tools on theft free cables - just like in Tucson.

So far I've ridden about 36 miles of the trail and it's really superb riding.

I don't know why this trail system isn't better known. We know the Tucson Bike Trail is heavily promoted and used to bring in tourism. I'm posting here to make more folks aware of this resource. Millions come to San Antonio for the Alamo and our lovely Riverwalk. If you find yourself coming this way bring your eBike and have Fun!

Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 4.22.48 PM.png

Each winter we take our motorhome to Tucson, AZ and I just love the bike trails there - 66 miles around the city. So, this year after returning from AZ I decided to look for similar bike path's in San Antonio which is near to where we live. I had heard that there was a bike trail in the Missions National Park downtown but to my surprise there is a great network of PAVED bike trails all over town. In fact, when completed it will be over 80 miles of paved trails ringing the city. After checking out the system I took my bike to one trailhead parking lot and found it bustling with riders, runners, walkers, etc. Just like in Tucson there are plenty of trail heads with parking lots. Some with bathrooms. A few even have a public Bike Stand and compliment of tools on theft free cables - just like in Tucson.

I don't know why this trail system isn't better known. We know the Tucson Bike Trail is heavily promoted and used to bring in tourism. I'm posting here to make more folks aware of this resource. Millions come to San Antonio for the Alamo and our lovely Riverwalk. If you find yourself coming this way bring your eBike and have Fun!

View attachment 84347
I agree, SA has great trails. So far I’ve done the Leon Creek and the Mission’s Trail. I need to try the other trails.

View attachment 84347
Greetings Creativepart.

My wife and I are recent additions to the traffic jams on the SATX trails. We live about 6 blocks from the Via Transit Center Trailhead near Ingram Mall and have ridden all of the Leon Creek Greenway - up to UTSA - and all of the completed portions of the Westside Creeks system, then down the Mission Reach portion past Concepcion Park to the golf course on Mission Rd.

Our plans include riding ALL of the trails with hopes that more of the Westside Creeks section will be finished soon so that we won't have to get onto city streets any more than absolutely necessary. As it is, we have to wind our way through residential streets to just south of St. Mary's University to enter that trail. We're both 70+ with many body parts that are out of warranty or no longer made, so we tend to avoid busy street unless they're the ONLY way to get where we want to get to - for just a block or two.

We currently have two Blix Packas, but will be getting an E-Trike for her soon. She's intimidated by the Packa's weight with her novice-level skills. So, for now, she's been riding piggyback on mine. I have nearly 300 miles on mine so far with a few 40+ miles/day rides. We probably have about 100+ miles with my wife riding piggyback.

While on the Leon Creek Greenway Friday morning [while worker bees were still at their jobs] we encountered lots of seniors on recumbent trikes - a whole herd of them!!! My wife couldn't warm up to that riding position but did warm up to replacing her bike with an Evelo Compass.

Happy Trails!!!

Norm

P.S. I forgot to mention that we, too, plan to rack my Blix onto a motorhome that is on backorder until Spring 2022. We'll use the Packa for sightseeing and grocery store runs while RVing instead of towing another vehicle.

Attachments

• MyBlix.JPG
    MyBlix.JPG
    315 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Greetings Creativepart.

My wife and I are recent additions to the traffic jams on the SATX trails. We live about 6 blocks from the Via Transit Center Trailhead near Ingram Mall and have ridden all of the Leon Creek Greenway - up to UTSA - and all of the completed portions of the Westside Creeks system, then down the Mission Reach portion past Concepcion Park to the golf course on Mission Rd.

Our plans include riding ALL of the trails with hopes that more of the Westside Creeks section will be finished soon so that we won't have to get onto city streets any more than absolutely necessary. As it is, we have to wind our way through residential streets to just south of St. Mary's University to enter that trail. We're both 70+ with many body parts that are out of warranty or no longer made, so we tend to avoid busy street unless they're the ONLY way to get where we want to get to - for just a block or two.

We currently have two Blix Packas, but will be getting an E-Trike for her soon. She's intimidated by the Packa's weight with her novice-level skills. So, for now, she's been riding piggyback on mine. I have nearly 300 miles on mine so far with a few 40+ miles/day rides. We probably have about 100+ miles with my wife riding piggyback.

While on the Leon Creek Greenway Friday morning [while worker bees were still at their jobs] we encountered lots of seniors on recumbent trikes - a whole herd of them!!! My wife couldn't warm up to that riding position but did warm up to replacing her bike with an Evelo Compass.

Happy Trails!!!

Norm

P.S. I forgot to mention that we, too, plan to rack my Blix onto a motorhome that is on backorder until Spring 2022. We'll use the Packa for sightseeing and grocery store runs while RVing instead of towing another vehicle.
Hi Norm,

I've ridding that trail as well as the Mission trails on my regular bike. Very enjoyable.

Back