Got to keep on your toes or cleats when you can't release!

When the mechanic worked on my bike, he took the first crank off and looked at the inside face. I asked him if it was marked, and he said it was. He shook his head a bit at the error :oops:.

I have the Shimano pedals with SPD on one side and flat on the other.

I've actually had the RH crank and spider off to fit a 44T chain ring (replacing a 40T).
I actually got a smaller chain ring to give me easier climbing but have not replaced it yet. I will be sure to warn the shop about cranks if I bring it in for replacement. I will also try remembering that the spring part of the pedal goes to the REAR.

Well, as I wrote, I have been using one form or another of Shimano SPD pedals for ages. I've adjusted and re-adjusted those screws. I guess I just never paid attention to them being in back or front. All of mine are two sided - there's no top or bottom.

I helped a friend adjust those screws not that long ago to take pressure off her replaced knee. But I just bend down, find the screw head and "allen" away. Spring in front or spring in back never occurred to me. Not until I compared with three other bikes with SPD's. The Shop guy immediately said, that's backwards. Live and learn.
I apologize if my comments came across negative towards you in any way.

As a detail person who’s been wrenching on stuff since learning from my dad decades ago, I sorta expect mechanics to notice stuff. Thus my surprise the mechanic didn’t notice the pedals were facing backwards. I wasn’t “speaking” to you in this, and am sorry if it seemed I was.

I apologize if my comments came across negative towards you in any way.

As a detail person who’s been wrenching on stuff since learning from my dad decades ago, I sorta expect mechanics to notice stuff. Thus my surprise the mechanic didn’t notice the pedals were facing backwards. I wasn’t “speaking” to you in this, and am sorry if it seemed I was.
No. I did not take any offense at all. Backwards pedals/cleats was just not anything I would have imagined so did not give any thought to their orientation. As @bellandbottle indicated, they could not even get in. I really did not have issues getting in. Just getting OUT. Looking at them, they did not show any evidence of being wrong, in and off themselves. They were SPD pedals. And as soon as I wheeled it into the shop the first mechanic was "sure, those pedals are backwards" but he was concerned about cross-threading. Even he did not think about someone reversing the cranks.

I rotated the first attached image and not expecting anything odd, I did not even consider that as an issue. The sculpted curve is similar on the spring and non-spring side.

Different shops years ago. New custom bike, I take it out and down a hill and the handlebars are not tightened and steering is really problematic!! Another time, new wheel. I'm out riding. Flat tire. I stop and fix it. Hmmm, wait, something looks strange - oh, yeah, NO rim tape.

I guess occasionally we have to second guess the shop and level of expertise. Or as another friend suggested: How much weed had he smoked?? :eek:

96944beb-fe6c-470f-8f9c-21de622f9d1fr.jpg

96944beb-fe6c-470f-8f9c-21de622f9d1f-.jpg

I guess occasionally we have to second guess the shop and level of expertise. Or as another friend suggested: How much weed had he smoked?? :eek:

Some questions are best left unasked. :D

On reading your story I went out and looked at my M520s. It was apparent that a clear could lock in backward - maybe not as easily as forwards - and you'd need twist your toes to get out. Something that'd never occur to us when locked in.

I am glad you did not get injured.

Definitely mechanic stuff is trust-but-verify. Got my truck back from Toyota dealer service once and it sounded different. Mechanic hadn't closed/latched the intake air cleaner housing so the motor was sucking unfiltered air. Fortunately I caught it quickly. Someone not mechanically inclined might never have noticed and ended up damaging their engine.

Can you show pics of shoes clip. You guys will want special shoes for the pedals.

When you twist toes? On your right foot do you kick your heel to outward?
Shimano (and copy cats) make a variety of cleats and pedals and other makes lots of shoes. I prefer "multi-release" cleats that can disengage at various angles including to some extent tilting the foot. Shoes are generally designed with a plate or inset that can be removed/replaced or actually permanently ripped out. The created recessed area will accommodate the cleats so you can walk flat footed. The cleats and shoes generally have slots so there's some forward/back or side to side adjustment so you can angle them to accommodate your foot, ankle, knees positioning. But then you tighten the cleats. There is still some play/movement as you rotate your foot. Some folks don't like being attached to the pedal and you do have to get use to them. They also make pedals with the cleats on one side and a flat platform pedal on the other for different riding needs.

I really like them. Others like other cleat styles and brands.

0ba3c451-d32a-4b38-b5ac-05bfc132b857.jpg

299058f6-e22e-4955-a2ab-c29deb11a37e.jpg

Shimano (and copy cats) make a variety of cleats and pedals and other makes lots of shoes. I prefer "multi-release" cleats that can disengage at various angles including to some extent tilting the foot. Shoes are generally designed with a plate or inset that can be removed/replaced or actually permanently ripped out. The created recessed area will accommodate the cleats so you can walk flat footed. The cleats and shoes generally have slots so there's some forward/back or side to side adjustment so you can angle them to accommodate your foot, ankle, knees positioning. But then you tighten the cleats. There is still some play/movement as you rotate your foot. Some folks don't like being attached to the pedal and you do have to get use to them. They also make pedals with the cleats on one side and a flat platform pedal on the other for different riding needs.
The great thing about these shoes is that you can walk about normally - I used to park up my "mechanical" bike and go into the shops, the bank etc.

The only problem with an ebike is that you really don't want to be separated from it - too attractive.

These are the pedals I have, and you can see it is easier to spot the front from the back :)

Attachments

• Shimano SPD Pedals.jpg
    Shimano SPD Pedals.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 162
Back