Got the Sport and the Flow. The Pros and Cons.

Melonbike

Hi all, thought i'd share a mini review since I own both.
Purchase price of the bikes were 1199 + tax.
Flow has 200 miles.
Sport has 11 miles. (edit, now 40 miles, did 30 more miles after i typed this up)

IMG_20200904_215030.jpg

Thought i'd share for all you value buyers. I did research and as of 9/5 espins bikes at 1199 are the only bikes i'm aware of that have hydraulic brakes under 1500. Nearly everything is close enough the same, but most bikes with hydraulic brakes are over 1500 with similar specs. That was the main reason why I bought the ESPIN bikes.

Anyway, my flow now goes to my wife. As I wanted the sport b/c it goes a little faster (maybe)
For reference I"m 5'7 and wife is 5'1. We're both in decent shape. I'm at 155bs. Live in the SF peninsula bay area on top of a hill.

I got my sport this past weekend, built it up and have ridden it for about 11 miles as of this post.

The biggest difference is the frame flex.
For non bike people, the flow can feel a bit more wobbly at high speeds if you make quick adjustments.
The Sport is more ridged. It feels like a Sports car vs a SUV in terms of handling. Will most people notice the difference? Will people care?
I don't really think so. IMO, this is a non issue for most riders out there. (Just like how handling is very low on the list of things people look at closely when buying a car)
My wife just wants an ebike, so instead getting a 2nd flow, I wanted something just a little faster.
I frequently ride at/above 20mph and within the first few miles so I noticed the frame flex. (But that's pretty common with all step-through bikes from what i read)
Everyone else that's tried my Flow ebike hasn't mentioned a thing about frame flex.

Flow Pros:
The flow is comfy right off the bat once you assemble it.
The Sport was not comfy until I spent 30 minutes making adjustments to the angles of the handle bar.
Now that i'm sitting more upright on my sport, it's just as comfy as the Flow....but it did require work.
I really liked the step through of the flow. Although all my bikes in the past have been step-overs, it's nice not having to worry about your jewels.
I also really like the curved handle bars of the flow. Once I got used to it, it feels much more ergonomic than the straight bars. Nothing needed adjustments for me on the flow. My wrist never is sore after 30+ miles on the flow, where as the sport, i need to adjust my grips.

So what do I like about the sport more than the flow?
Speed. I know their the same motor and all the parts are the same, but I think i'm going 2-3mph faster in the same spots. I just came home from a hill I usually go up 15mph on my flow. I was able to hit 18mph on my Sport. I don't think I ever hit that 18mph on the hill in the flow in my 200 miles riding.
I have no equipment and no care to measure the speed, but the sport feels or is faster than the flow.
PAS seems more aggressive. 1 goes up to 12 mph...flow goes up to 8mph.
Flame flex is definitely less.
Sport is class 3 and i feel the assist over 25mph where as the flow I don't.
Matte paint looks good on both bikes, but that Blue is fire.

Issues with bikes:
My back fender was damaged on shipping for the Sport. Notice it's not in the picture. Let's see how many days Espin will take to send me a new one. As of right now they are waiting for parts and it is day 5 since we contacted them. I want fenders because I will use the bike as a commuter.
Batteries not FULLY flush with both frames. (Not that noticable from 3ft away)
Same instruction booklet for both bikes...no difference.
Both bikes had deraileur guards that needed to be slightly bent in order to go on the 7th and 8th gear.

What I like best about my ebikes?
They're good ebikes and that's it. The 5 gears are sufficient. I think anything more would be just a pain in the ass to adjust. I know some people want a 9 PAS bike and that but less is more in my case.
I've ridden a $3k pedego, and I truthfully can't tell you much about torque sensors, cadence sensors, nominal wattage or all that stuff. The Espin feels just as good as the 3K pedego bike I rented.
I have no issues not being able to customize my PAS. I routinely ride next to 40mph+ traffic on some roads in the and these bikes make me feel like i'm going at a safe enough speed. They both ride well, both have enough power and feel good.

How to make these bikes better?
I feel that 8 speed bikes should start on gear 4 and go to 12.
Usually I am in 6 to 8. So whatever ratios or any of that stuff, i'm not familiar with, but I rarely use 1-3 on the shifters.

Buy a flow if....
you don't care about going fast and want a nice ride, or have any issues getting on/off bike.

Buy a sport if...
You consistently go over 15mph.

That's it from me.

Feel free to ask me questions and stuff if you want advice on making a purchase. Hope it helps you with making a $$$ purchase.

Last edited:
Great review and nice picture!

I'm glad you like your Espins and at least I know I'm not the only one who had to bend out the derailleur guard.

Totally agree about the 5 levels of PAS being enough. If you go uphill unassisted, you might need the lower gears, but I have it mostly in 4th or 5th gear.

How is the shifting? Any noises? I'm still working through that but confident I can get it adjusted.

Last edited:
Great review and nice picture!

I'm glad you like your Espins and at least I know I'm not the only one who had to bend out the derailleur guard.

Totally agree about the 5 levels of PAS being enough. If you go uphill unassisted, you might need the lower gears, but I have it mostly in 4th or 5th gear.

How is the shifting? Any noises? I'm still working through that but confident I can get it adjusted.

I'm still tinkering, i found a noise riding 28mph one handed that I think the suspension was too loose.
My wrist is tired from 35 miles on the straight handle...the euro style handles are really nice and something I never used before.

After about 50 miles on my Sport, the only knock I have is that my heel clips the kickstand if I pedal with the ball of my left foot. Not sure if I am going to remove the kickstand or live with it. Other than that, the bike rides very nicely now with my Suntour seatpost adjusted to my size. I also agree with others that gears 1-4 are really never necessary and I find myself mostly in 6-8 with PAS 1-3, with an occasional PAS 5 on flat ground to try and get to 30. So far, 29mph is tops. Today I found myself looking for uneven pavement and bumps just to check suspension. It passed with flying colors. This bike could definitely go off road with wider tires...

Attachments

• Sport.jpg
    Sport.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 470
I’m enjoying my Sport. I agree about the lower gears not being used. My area has a lot of hills so I’m using PAS 1-3 and gears six through eight so I can still get some good exercise. I don’t like that the PAS defaults to 1 when you turn on the bike. This can lead to a quick surge that I had to get used to. I’m wondering what people do when they were riding down steep hills. I’m still trying to get comfortable and I don’t want to let my speed it too fast going downhill. I’m concerned that I’m going to wear my brake pads out quickly because I’m braking so much to control my speed. What I do is brake and release repeatedly while trying to alternate between front and rear. Any suggestions?

I’m enjoying my Sport. I agree about the lower gears not being used. My area has a lot of hills so I’m using PAS 1-3 and gears six through eight so I can still get some good exercise. I don’t like that the PAS defaults to 1 when you turn on the bike. This can lead to a quick surge that I had to get used to. I’m wondering what people do when they were riding down steep hills. I’m still trying to get comfortable and I don’t want to let my speed it too fast going downhill. I’m concerned that I’m going to wear my brake pads out quickly because I’m braking so much to control my speed. What I do is brake and release repeatedly while trying to alternate between front and rear. Any suggestions?

Use your brakes freely, that's what they are for. I found the more I use the quieter they get. Worse case scenario, you have to add pads a few months down the road. There is a YouTube vid that will coach you along the way.

I'm still tinkering, i found a noise riding 28mph one handed that I think the suspension was too loose.
My wrist is tired from 35 miles on the straight handle...the euro style handles are really nice and something I never used before.
I think the straight handlebar is why the sport is faster. The farther the rider leans forward, the lower the wind resistance and the more efficient the pedaling. Hence, sport versus cruiser.

I think the straight handlebar is why the sport is faster. The farther the rider leans forward, the lower the wind resistance and the more efficient the pedaling. Hence, sport versus cruiser.
I think it goes faster because the torque on the Sport is 55 Nm and on the Flow is 50Nm so there is a difference.

Flow has 200 miles.
Sport has 11 miles. (edit, now 40 miles, did 30 more miles after i typed this up)

View attachment 64514

Thought i'd share for all you value buyers. I did research and as of 9/5 espins bikes at 1199 are the only bikes i'm aware of that have hydraulic brakes under 1500. Nearly everything is close enough the same, but most bikes with hydraulic brakes are over 1500 with similar specs. That was the main reason why I bought the ESPIN bikes.

Anyway, my flow now goes to my wife. As I wanted the sport b/c it goes a little faster (maybe)
For reference I"m 5'7 and wife is 5'1. We're both in decent shape. I'm at 155bs. Live in the SF peninsula bay area on top of a hill.

I got my sport this past weekend, built it up and have ridden it for about 11 miles as of this post.

For non bike people, the flow can feel a bit more wobbly at high speeds if you make quick adjustments.
The Sport is more ridged. It feels like a Sports car vs a SUV in terms of handling. Will most people notice the difference? Will people care?
I don't really think so. IMO, this is a non issue for most riders out there. (Just like how handling is very low on the list of things people look at closely when buying a car)
My wife just wants an ebike, so instead getting a 2nd flow, I wanted something just a little faster.
I frequently ride at/above 20mph and within the first few miles so I noticed the frame flex. (But that's pretty common with all step-through bikes from what i read)
Everyone else that's tried my Flow ebike hasn't mentioned a thing about frame flex.

Flow Pros:
The Sport was not comfy until I spent 30 minutes making adjustments to the angles of the handle bar.
Now that i'm sitting more upright on my sport, it's just as comfy as the Flow....but it did require work.
I really liked the step through of the flow. Although all my bikes in the past have been step-overs, it's nice not having to worry about your jewels.
I also really like the curved handle bars of the flow. Once I got used to it, it feels much more ergonomic than the straight bars. Nothing needed adjustments for me on the flow. My wrist never is sore after 30+ miles on the flow, where as the sport, i need to adjust my grips.

Speed. I know their the same motor and all the parts are the same, but I think i'm going 2-3mph faster in the same spots. I just came home from a hill I usually go up 15mph on my flow. I was able to hit 18mph on my Sport. I don't think I ever hit that 18mph on the hill in the flow in my 200 miles riding.
I have no equipment and no care to measure the speed, but the sport feels or is faster than the flow.

Issues with bikes:
My back fender was damaged on shipping for the Sport. Notice it's not in the picture. Let's see how many days Espin will take to send me a new one. As of right now they are waiting for parts and it is day 5 since we contacted them. I want fenders because I will use the bike as a commuter.
Both bikes had deraileur guards that needed to be slightly bent in order to go on the 7th and 8th gear.

They're good ebikes and that's it. The 5 gears are sufficient. I think anything more would be just a pain in the ass to adjust. I know some people want a 9 PAS bike and that but less is more in my case.
I've ridden a $3k pedego, and I truthfully can't tell you much about torque sensors, cadence sensors, nominal wattage or all that stuff. The Espin feels just as good as the 3K pedego bike I rented.
I have no issues not being able to customize my PAS. I routinely ride next to 40mph+ traffic on some roads in the and these bikes make me feel like i'm going at a safe enough speed. They both ride well, both have enough power and feel good.

Usually I am in 6 to 8. So whatever ratios or any of that stuff, i'm not familiar with, but I rarely use 1-3 on the shifters.

Buy a flow if....
you don't care about going fast and want a nice ride, or have any issues getting on/off bike.

Buy a sport if...

That's it from me.

Feel free to ask me questions and stuff if you want advice on making a purchase. Hope it helps you with making a $$$ purchase.

Flow has 200 miles.

View attachment 64514

Flow Pros:

Issues with bikes:

Buy a flow if....

Buy a sport if...

That's it from me.

Thanks for the detailed report. I have 2 Rize bikes at home and want 2 more my desert house. I was about to buy the Lectric XP but didn't like the lower range and don't really want fat tires and the heavier weight. So I might pull the trigger on the Espin Flows and get two of them but I had a couple of questions:
1) I am also 5'1" and wondered if your wife feels she is reaching for the handlebars or if it is comfortable for her?
2) Can you go into the controls and make it a class 3 bike by increasing maximum speed like you can with other bikes?
3) I don't care if I go really fast up hills but does the Flow feel zippy enough on a hill?
4) Would it do ok on a gravel path?
Thank!

Flow has 200 miles.

View attachment 64514

Flow Pros:

Issues with bikes:

Buy a flow if....

Buy a sport if...

That's it from me.

Thank you! How is the Flow on hills? Would it be OK going over grass or gravel path? Also, I am only 5'1" and wonder if the Flow would feel too big even though it's listed for minimum of 5'1". Since your wife is 5'1", what does she think? I noticed the torque is greater on the Sport (55nM versus 50 nM). Maybe that is why you go faster....and do you know if you can go into the controls and make the Flow's maximum speed higher?I was thinking of getting a Lectric XP step through but now am seriously considering this one because I probably wouldn't need to fold bike.
Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed report. I have 2 Rize bikes at home and want 2 more my desert house. I was about to buy the Lectric XP but didn't like the lower range and don't really want fat tires and the heavier weight. So I might pull the trigger on the Espin Flows and get two of them but I had a couple of questions:
1) I am also 5'1" and wondered if your wife feels she is reaching for the handlebars or if it is comfortable for her?
2) Can you go into the controls and make it a class 3 bike by increasing maximum speed like you can with other bikes?
3) I don't care if I go really fast up hills but does the Flow feel zippy enough on a hill?
4) Would it do ok on a gravel path?
Thank!

1) She's fine. We rode 45 miles last weekend. No complaints.
2) No, but it's fast enough for her. I can go up to 25+ peddling on flats.
3) Yes. I live in San Francisco. Lots of hills. Goes up hills 15mph. I beat carbon fiber roadbikes frequently up the hill.
4) It's fine on gravel and grass. I would avoid sand and mud.

1) She's fine. We rode 45 miles last weekend. No complaints.
2) No, but it's fast enough for her. I can go up to 25+ peddling on flats.
3) Yes. I live in San Francisco. Lots of hills. Goes up hills 15mph. I beat carbon fiber roadbikes frequently up the hill.
4) It's fine on gravel and grass. I would avoid sand and mud.
Thank you! Deciding between these and the Rize City...too many choices!

Flow has 200 miles.

View attachment 64514

Flow Pros:

Issues with bikes:

Buy a flow if....

Buy a sport if...

That's it from me.

Curious to hear what adjustments you made to the handlebar for a comfortable ride. did you use an adjustable stem to raise the handlebar to a more “upright” position?
Thanks

Curious to hear what adjustments you made to the handlebar for a comfortable ride. did you use an adjustable stem to raise the handlebar to a more “upright” position?
Thanks
Yeah, i raised the stem to the highest position and rotated the handle bars a bit to my liking. About 30mins of trial and error. After riding it 45miles one weekend i figured it was good enough.

Just an update as I have a broken fender on my sport and had to remove it. It's been 2 weeks and a replacement has not come yet.
So just be warned.

Flow has 200 miles.

View attachment 64514

Flow Pros:

Issues with bikes:

Buy a flow if....

Buy a sport if...

That's it from me.

Congrats. The Ride1up 700 series comes with hydraulic brakes for $1495 and they knock $40 off if you promise to use it to replace your car for a few commutes each month

I looked at the Sport but I would argue what you get for the extra $250 is worth it but that's individual choice. I was simply pointing out that there is another option with hydraulic brakes below $1500

Yeah, i raised the stem to the highest position and rotated the handle bars a bit to my liking. About 30mins of trial and error. After riding it 45miles one weekend i figured it was good enough.
How do you raise the stem? I was only able to rotate the angle. I rotated as far as I could closer to the rider, and if I went any further it would strain the cable that goes to the display.

Back