Got my new Explore E+1 GTS today!

Mtl_Biker

After waiting for its arrival (like a kid the night before Christmas) my new bike finally arrived. But something had happened during shipping and Canpar totally smashed up the package. So bad that they didn't deliver it to me yesterday as scheduled but brought it back to their warehouse to assess the damage. Only after I raised heck with their customer service did they finally deliver it to me and said that I should open and examine it and if I don't want to keep it, to call them and they will return it to the sender. So there was quite a bit of stress today.

The bike seems alright... the only damage is a badly scratched label on the fork plus deep scratches on the fork itself by the label. I'm not happy at all about that, but I guess I can live with it. Also the headlight has a bad wiring connection right at the headlight (not at the connection that goes into the frame) and that might be because it was just dangling at the end of the wire during shipment. And it must have been a very rough shipment judging on the condition of the packaging. Just touching the wire there causes the light to come on and off. I've pushed the wire up against the headlight as tightly as I could and then used electrical tape to hold it in place. Not a nice or permanent solution though.

Here's my new bike, just before I headed home on my 35km trip.

i-56jLX4z.jpg

Besides the user manuals, there were absolutely no assembly instructions. I guess they expect everyone to buy from a local dealer who would do all the setup. Luckily I've had lots of bikes and I'm fairly mechanically adept and I really had no trouble, except for one thing... Believe it or not, I couldn't attach the support arms for the front fender. I finally got them on, but one came off during my ride home and I had to finish my commute with it banging against the fender. At least it wasn't in danger of getting caught in the spokes. Lesson learned... carry some zip ties and my Leatherman multi-tool in the bike toolkit.

This is the arm that came off. I've put it back and tightened it with a zip tie and I think it's going to hold.

i-WvKxgmW.jpg

The MIK rack came with a dinky little shockcord... what the heck do you do with that? It doesn't come off, and it's so short that it would be hard to get a rain jacket under it. What's the point of that?

i-M6HWVk7.jpg

I left the manuals at work because I was already carrying a lot of weight (my regular gear, computer, etc. plus the charger) but I've got to figure out that front suspension. It was really weird. I don't know if it's lacking enough air pressure or what, but just getting on or off the bike caused the front end to sort of bounce. I don't have that with my acoustic full suspension mountain bike. I finally turned the control to "lock" and that was much much better. But I'm sure something is needed to be done with the suspension adjustment.

But my biggest issue is that the bike doesn't fit me well. (Note to everyone... don't buy a bike, any bike, until you've actually seen it and sat on it and hopefully test ridden it!) I'd ridden an Explore E+ 3 with medium frame and while riding it felt fine, but the standover height was just too high. So I ended up finding this bike, the very last E+1 with small frame in all of Canada. And had it shipped to me clear across the country. I'd never sat on or ridden this model with small frame. The standover height on it is much better (I've got short legs with a 30" inseam) but even with the seat as far back as possible, I'm very cramped in the "cockpit". At the very least I'm going to have to change the stem to get the handlebars further away, and maybe the seat post also to get the seat further back. That's very unfortunate.

But the motor and all that were terrific! Much much easier to climb hills and headwinds... what headwinds? Once I get the ergonomics right, this is going to be an incredible bike! I was in ECO+ and NORMAL power modes for the 35 km and I used only about 25% of the battery.

One frustration I had was that I kept running into the 32kph assist limit and then it felt like hitting a brick wall. On my acoustic clunker commuting bike I regularly average 24-26 kph so I guess I'm pretty strong. On a couple of straight runs (without headwind) I hit that limit and also on some downhills. I didn't like that at all, and I'm going to have to investigate ways to get past that 32kph limit.

Oh, and this thing is heavy! I tried to lift it chest high to put on my bicycle rack and it was very difficult.

I'll post more in this thread after my ride in to work tomorrow and as I find out more about this bike.[/I]

OK...
Great you got it!
Bummer it has some (hopefully just cosmetic) damage.
A stem change or handlebar change should help you out for sure. I think I need to raise my stem and/or cut my seatpost as well.
The light and front fender mount are a PITA for sure, but it looks as though you have a handle on that.
You got good/normal range on the battery, great.
Remove the battery before mounting on a rack.
I hit the 32kph limit as well. Probably not as often as you do (I'm 62), but I do. Going to let the warranty run out then go for Speedbox, or similar. It'll eat battery, but whatever... management is everything.

Congrats, it's a great looking ride!

OK...
Great you got it!
Bummer it has some (hopefully just cosmetic) damage.
A stem change or handlebar change should help you out for sure. I think I need to raise my stem and/or cut my seatpost as well.
The light and front fender mount are a PITA for sure, but it looks as though you have a handle on that.
You got good/normal range on the battery, great.
Remove the battery before mounting on a rack.
I hit the 32kph limit as well. Probably not as often as you do (I'm 62), but I do. Going to let the warranty run out then go for Speedbox, or similar. It'll eat battery, but whatever... management is everything.

Congrats, it's a great looking ride!

I rode in this morning using NORMAL mode amd a little longer route and now have 62% battery left. I'm sure that'll be enough to get me back home, but I'm going to need a second charger for sure as sometimes I'll need to run an errand during the day and that'll use battery also. But a good charger is expensive!!! Like $400+ CDN. Anyway...

I'm not sure what your "Remove the battery before mounting on a rack" comment was referring to. The rack is already mounted, and anyway, I don't understand what you meant.

You think I hit the 32 kph limit more often than you because you're 62???? I'm 67!!!!! :)

Comparing the distance from the saddle to the handlebars on my new bike versus my clunker mountain bike commute, there's FOUR INCHES difference! I'd have to move the handlebars 4" further away for comparable comfort. I really feel cramped on this new bike unfortunately. I'll have to see what options I have for doing that.

DOH!
Why did I think you were younger than me? Maybe I think everyone is younger than me!:oops:
I think if I were to spend that much on a charger it would be a "Satiator" https://em3ev.com/shop/satiator/
I was suggesting that you remove the battery from the bike before you put the bike on the rack. The battery is about 8lbs or so, so slightly easier ti lift.
Maybe an adjustable stem would help?

DOH!
Why did I think you were younger than me? Maybe I think everyone is younger than me!:oops:
I think if I were to spend that much on a charger it would be a "Satiator" https://em3ev.com/shop/satiator/
I was suggesting that you remove the battery from the bike before you put the bike on the rack. The battery is about 8lbs or so, so slightly easier ti lift.
Maybe an adjustable stem would help?

One of my main goals with this e-bike was for me not to have to use the rack anymore and to ride everywhere and do my full commute instead of only the half-way one. So yesterday putting the e-bike onto the rack was hopefully a very seldom operation.

I think everyone is younger than me! :)

I've located a 110mm stem and will be picking it up on my ride home tonight. I'll install it tonight if I'm not too tired, otherwise I'll do another ride in tomorrow and change it here at my office. It seems 110mm is the longest available. I don't know from where they take that measurement (center to center?) but 110mm is about the 4" longer that I need. But I need 4" longer than the current stem, which has almost no length at all. While it may not be perfect for me, it'll certainly be an improvement and make my cockpit less cramped.

The Satiator is the one that I've got my eye on, but it's $400 plus shipping!!! Cheaper than the Giant OEM charger, but possibly better for the battery as well.

One of my main goals with this e-bike was for me not to have to use the rack anymore and to ride everywhere and do my full commute instead of only the half-way one. So yesterday putting the e-bike onto the rack was hopefully a very seldom operation.

I think everyone is younger than me! :)

I've located a 110mm stem and will be picking it up on my ride home tonight. I'll install it tonight if I'm not too tired, otherwise I'll do another ride in tomorrow and change it here at my office. It seems 110mm is the longest available. I don't know from where they take that measurement (center to center?) but 110mm is about the 4" longer that I need. But I need 4" longer than the current stem, which has almost no length at all. While it may not be perfect for me, it'll certainly be an improvement and make my cockpit less cramped.

The Satiator is the one that I've got my eye on, but it's $400 plus shipping!!! Cheaper than the Giant OEM charger, but possibly better for the battery as well.
What kind of rack/vehicle? I'm looking for a better trunk style rack for my Toyota Venza.
Yeah, I believe measurements are center-center. Mine is 60mm I believe, and that was accurate.

After waiting for its arrival (like a kid the night before Christmas) my new bike finally arrived. But something had happened during shipping and Canpar totally smashed up the package. So bad that they didn't deliver it to me yesterday as scheduled but brought it back to their warehouse to assess the damage. Only after I raised heck with their customer service did they finally deliver it to me and said that I should open and examine it and if I don't want to keep it, to call them and they will return it to the sender. So there was quite a bit of stress today.

The bike seems alright... the only damage is a badly scratched label on the fork plus deep scratches on the fork itself by the label. I'm not happy at all about that, but I guess I can live with it. Also the headlight has a bad wiring connection right at the headlight (not at the connection that goes into the frame) and that might be because it was just dangling at the end of the wire during shipment. And it must have been a very rough shipment judging on the condition of the packaging. Just touching the wire there causes the light to come on and off. I've pushed the wire up against the headlight as tightly as I could and then used electrical tape to hold it in place. Not a nice or permanent solution though.

i-56jLX4z.jpg

Besides the user manuals, there were absolutely no assembly instructions. I guess they expect everyone to buy from a local dealer who would do all the setup. Luckily I've had lots of bikes and I'm fairly mechanically adept and I really had no trouble, except for one thing... Believe it or not, I couldn't attach the support arms for the front fender. I finally got them on, but one came off during my ride home and I had to finish my commute with it banging against the fender. At least it wasn't in danger of getting caught in the spokes. Lesson learned... carry some zip ties and my Leatherman multi-tool in the bike toolkit.

This is the arm that came off. I've put it back and tightened it with a zip tie and I think it's going to hold.

i-WvKxgmW.jpg

The MIK rack came with a dinky little shockcord... what the heck do you do with that? It doesn't come off, and it's so short that it would be hard to get a rain jacket under it. What's the point of that?

i-M6HWVk7.jpg

I left the manuals at work because I was already carrying a lot of weight (my regular gear, computer, etc. plus the charger) but I've got to figure out that front suspension. It was really weird. I don't know if it's lacking enough air pressure or what, but just getting on or off the bike caused the front end to sort of bounce. I don't have that with my acoustic full suspension mountain bike. I finally turned the control to "lock" and that was much much better. But I'm sure something is needed to be done with the suspension adjustment.

But my biggest issue is that the bike doesn't fit me well. (Note to everyone... don't buy a bike, any bike, until you've actually seen it and sat on it and hopefully test ridden it!) I'd ridden an Explore E+ 3 with medium frame and while riding it felt fine, but the standover height was just too high. So I ended up finding this bike, the very last E+1 with small frame in all of Canada. And had it shipped to me clear across the country. I'd never sat on or ridden this model with small frame. The standover height on it is much better (I've got short legs with a 30" inseam) but even with the seat as far back as possible, I'm very cramped in the "cockpit". At the very least I'm going to have to change the stem to get the handlebars further away, and maybe the seat post also to get the seat further back. That's very unfortunate.

But the motor and all that were terrific! Much much easier to climb hills and headwinds... what headwinds? Once I get the ergonomics right, this is going to be an incredible bike! I was in ECO+ and NORMAL power modes for the 35 km and I used only about 25% of the battery.

One frustration I had was that I kept running into the 32kph assist limit and then it felt like hitting a brick wall. On my acoustic clunker commuting bike I regularly average 24-26 kph so I guess I'm pretty strong. On a couple of straight runs (without headwind) I hit that limit and also on some downhills. I didn't like that at all, and I'm going to have to investigate ways to get past that 32kph limit.

Oh, and this thing is heavy! I tried to lift it chest high to put on my bicycle rack and it was very difficult.

I'll post more in this thread after my ride in to work tomorrow and as I find out more about this bike.[/I]

Does that mean you zip ties the connector of the front fender? Because I think it is meant to break away and reattach in case it gets snagged on something. If it gets caught on something and doesn’t break away it could turn the whole bike unexpectedly and lead to a crash. Mine broke away and was easily attached the first few times my toes clipped it. Now I’m just mindful of how forward my feet are.

What kind of rack/vehicle? I'm looking for a better trunk style rack for my Toyota Venza.
Yeah, I believe measurements are center-center. Mine is 60mm I believe, and that was accurate.

I'm very happy with my rack, but it needs a trailer hitch. Either size. The rack is a Swagman G10 and it holds two bikes. I drive a CRV and the rack folds down (even with bikes on it) to allow access to the back hatch, and it's adjustable for different wheelbases, etc. It holds the bikes very securely and comes with a (cable) lock which I wouldn't trust too much. I didn't buy mine at MEC, because I found a much lower price for it online. That was a year ago though.

Thanks for confirming that the measurement must be center to center. Mine seems like 60mm also. So a 110mm will only give me about 2" more. I wanted 4" more.

Does that mean you zip ties the connector of the front fender? Because I think it is meant to break away and reattach in case it gets snagged on something. If it gets caught on something and doesn’t break away it could turn the whole bike unexpectedly and lead to a crash. Mine broke away and was easily attached the first few times my toes clipped it. Now I’m just mindful of how forward my feet are.

Yes, I used a zip tie to secure the plastic piece to the screw on the bottom end of the fork. It just wouldn't stay on otherwise. I think maybe it was damaged (the shipping box was VERY banged up). In any case, I really don't see how it could get caught on something, but I'll watch it and be careful. Thanks for the warning.

We're talking about the same thing here? The two support arms going from the back bottom of the front fender which attach to the screws on the fork? I don't see how my (or your) toes could clip it. And you said "...the first few times..." How is that possible to happen? And more than once?

Maybe it's quite different on the QuickE that I'm assuming you ride (from your name).

i-56jLX4z.jpg

i-WvKxgmW.jpg

i-M6HWVk7.jpg

QUOTE:
"But my biggest issue is that the bike doesn't fit me well. (Note to everyone... don't buy a bike, any bike, until you've actually seen it and sat on it and hopefully test ridden it!) I'd ridden an Explore E+ 3 with medium frame and while riding it felt fine, but the standover height was just too high. So I ended up finding this bike, the very last E+1 with small frame in all of Canada. And had it shipped to me clear across the country. I'd never sat on or ridden this model with small frame. The standover height on it is much better (I've got short legs with a 30" inseam) but even with the seat as far back as possible, I'm very cramped in the "cockpit". At the very least I'm going to have to change the stem to get the handlebars further away, and maybe the seat post also to get the seat further back. That's very unfortunate."

Your words describe exactly what I said to the dealer when I rode my LaFree+1.....I ordered the LaFree sight unseen. I ordered after riding the E+ and it was "Crowded and cramped." I don't know what I was thinking. The dealer is also a Specialized dealer and before I paid for it I asked him to order a Specialized Como 4.0 but he said he couldn't sell the electrics unless he ordered 5 of them. I have had my LaFree for a week. The dealer ordered a new seat and seat post which may give me more space. Hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully the new seat will go back further an inch or more. On a scale of 1-10 it's a 5. I hope I like it better after using it more. Good luck with yours. It's a beauty!

Yes, I used a zip tie to secure the plastic piece to the screw on the bottom end of the fork. It just wouldn't stay on otherwise. I think maybe it was damaged (the shipping box was VERY banged up). In any case, I really don't see how it could get caught on something, but I'll watch it and be careful. Thanks for the warning.

We're talking about the same thing here? The two support arms going from the back bottom of the front fender which attach to the screws on the fork? I don't see how my (or your) toes could clip it. And you said "...the first few times..." How is that possible to happen? And more than once?

Maybe it's quite different on the QuickE that I'm assuming you ride (from your name).

I clipped my toes on the fender, which came apart at the connector near the hub. I don’t see a zip tie in the pic, so I was worried you put a zip tie on the connector pieces, but I guess you had to put it on the mounting piece near the hub? They are the same mounts. Anyway, hope you get everything sorted the way you want it, glad you are enjoying the new ride 😁

QUOTE:
"But my biggest issue is that the bike doesn't fit me well. (Note to everyone... don't buy a bike, any bike, until you've actually seen it and sat on it and hopefully test ridden it!) I'd ridden an Explore E+ 3 with medium frame and while riding it felt fine, but the standover height was just too high. So I ended up finding this bike, the very last E+1 with small frame in all of Canada. And had it shipped to me clear across the country. I'd never sat on or ridden this model with small frame. The standover height on it is much better (I've got short legs with a 30" inseam) but even with the seat as far back as possible, I'm very cramped in the "cockpit". At the very least I'm going to have to change the stem to get the handlebars further away, and maybe the seat post also to get the seat further back. That's very unfortunate."

Your words describe exactly what I said to the dealer when I rode my LaFree+1.....I ordered the LaFree sight unseen. I ordered after riding the E+ and it was "Crowded and cramped." I don't know what I was thinking. The dealer is also a Specialized dealer and before I paid for it I asked him to order a Specialized Como 4.0 but he said he couldn't sell the electrics unless he ordered 5 of them. I have had my LaFree for a week. The dealer ordered a new seat and seat post which may give me more space. Hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully the new seat will go back further an inch or more. On a scale of 1-10 it's a 5. I hope I like it better after using it more. Good luck with yours. It's a beauty!

I found a longer stem on my way home last night... 110mm compared with the 60mm of the stock one. I'd been hoping for longer as this is really only 50mm (about 2") longer and I'd been hoping for 4" longer to match my other bikes in reach. I didn't get a chance to install it last night and had planned to do so this morning at work. But it was raining like crazy this morning and my legs were pretty sore from the week of riding. So I came to work by car. I probably really need a rest day anyway and the rain and wet roads cinched the deal. Now it'll be Sunday before I can install it and try riding. I'm sure it'll be an improvement but whether it'll be enough is the question.

Is it the new seat or seat post that will let your seat go back an inch? I've already replaced my stock seat (without even trying it) because I have a really great saddle from my road bike that I wanted to use. But the rails are the same length and I might have to change the seat post also to get the distance I need. I'll try first with the new stem.

When do you expect your new seat and post? It would be nice if you could post a photo of the top of the post when you get it. I'm curious about whether there's an offset or not.

I clipped my toes on the fender, which came apart at the connector near the hub. I don’t see a zip tie in the pic, so I was worried you put a zip tie on the connector pieces, but I guess you had to put it on the mounting piece near the hub? They are the same mounts. Anyway, hope you get everything sorted the way you want it, glad you are enjoying the new ride 😁

I'd post a photo of how I zip tied that piece but it was raining hard this morning and truthfully, my legs were pretty tired from riding all week. So I came to work by car. And I really didn't want to get the new bike all dirty.

I still don't understand how you could clip your toes on the fender... and more than once as you said. On my bike the back of the fender is so far away from my feet on the pedals that I would have to purposely kick forward to do that. You did this while riding? I sure hope that doesn't happen to me.

I'd post a photo of how I zip tied that piece but it was raining hard this morning and truthfully, my legs were pretty tired from riding all week. So I came to work by car. And I really didn't want to get the new bike all dirty.

I still don't understand how you could clip your toes on the fender... and more than once as you said. On my bike the back of the fender is so far away from my feet on the pedals that I would have to purposely kick forward to do that. You did this while riding? I sure hope that doesn't happen to me.

This is what happened. I don’t always start in a straight line. Sometimes I mount up with my foot too far forward. Sometimes I will make a sharp turn as soon as I mount up. All these add up to me twice clipping the fender hard enough to unloose it. It’s not difficult if you are in a hurry. I don’t do it anymore because I’m used to the fenders.

I'm really loving this new bike!!! Yesterday my girlfriend and I went for almost a 72km ride... she on her new (non-e) Specialized Sirrus SL, and me on the Explore E+1. She's fairly new to bicycling but is a fitness nut and in way better shape than I am, and much much younger than I am (I'm a real lucky guy, but that's a story for another day). With my own non-e bikes, she has kept up with me very well and often even beat me particularly when climbing hills. So we set off to visit a far off Giant dealer who had a charger in stock ($199 Canadian!!!!), and we were planning a circle route which would also involve two ferry rides (one across the Lake of Two Mountains to Oka Quebec, and the other from Laval back to Ile Bizard (where we started from).

Starting off I used ECO+ mode for the first maybe 20 minutes. Until my GF started to complain that I was going too fast and that I'd promised we'd conserve our strength for the longer ride than she'd done before. I'd been riding way slower than I'd like to and only with a cadence of about 60, when usually I'm at 80-90. So I switched down to ECO, and then even down to the OFF setting so I was pedaling completely unassisted. I turned the assist back on for some of the tougher hills but eventually I was back in ECO mode for most of the ride. So without using assist as much as I could have, after the ride of 72km the battery was still at 47%. Very good! And I now had a second charger too!

i-8LfT3pX.jpg

i-x8PzL8S.jpg

i-zZjMWpR.jpg

I was really very pleased with the bike, other than for a couple of minor issues... The bike is noisy! I'll have to carefully check if I can tighten up some cables and things to quieten it down. I'm not talking about motor noise, but rather a sort of rattling of things not super tight. Another issue was that when we started, my lights (head- and taillight) were working fine, but halfway through the ride, the taillight stopped working. No amount of wiggling got it working again. But I'm going to figure it out soon and fix it.

No buyer remorse here. I'm overall very pleased.

Well, now I've had my first accident. SIGH

This morning I was commuting to work and I was really moving fast. SPORT and SPORT+ all the way, cranking even faster than the 32kph limit. I didn't have to worry about preserving battery power for the return trip because I've got my new second charger. Anyway, 12.96km (just about unlucky 13!) into the ride I was going through a nature park and I don't know what I did... maybe glance over my shoulder at the wrong moment, but I hit a log at the side of the trail and went flying.

The trail there is quite forested and has logs set parallel to the trail, acting sort of like a curb, and I hit one and the wheel couldn't go over it but I could. :) I lay on the ground dazed for several seconds trying to figure out if and how badly I was hurt. I'm alright, but landed on my right shoulder/back and I'm really sore there. I'm sure I'll be stiff later on. Luckily I was wearing my helmet and other than having the visor torn off, the helmet wasn't damaged. But the bike was damaged. Chain stay scratched and rear derailleur cable shredded. The handlebars were also twisted off center but that was easy to straighten. But I couldn't shift gears and the rear stayed in the highest gear. If it wasn't for the power assist, it would have be REAL difficult to cycle home the 13 km. I had my Ortleib panniers on the bike and I think that without them, the damage to the bike would have been even worse.

I can now hardly move my right arm because my shoulder and back are really hurting. I've got to go to work (with the bike on my car rack) but I'll try to leave early afternoon to drive to the good Giant dealer in Vaudreuil. I hope he has the right cable in stock and also hope he'll be able to change it while I wait. Otherwise I'll have to try to do it myself. Here's what the damage looks like:

i-FqqVZF7.jpg

I'll report back later.

Oh dayum!!!
Thankfully you didn't damage yourself more than just bumps/bruises! Those stupid logs will jump out with no warning... stupid logs:mad:
Glad you're OK!

Oh dayum!!!
Thankfully you didn't damage yourself more than just bumps/bruises! Those stupid logs will jump out with no warning... stupid logs:mad:
Glad you're OK!

Looks like I may have a cracked rib on my side. And a whopping big bruise on my shoulder and shoulder blade. I can't lift my right arm straight out to the side without pain nor cough or even breathe deeply. SIGH Crazy kid!!! :) I was really flying! And with the cycling experience I have (years riding with a competitive club) I should have known better. But it was so much darn fun! I was really going fast. I don't know what happened... I think I might have just glanced over my shoulder at the wrong moment but I really took a tumble. If my panniers hadn't been attached I'm sure the bike would have a lot more damage and I'm surprised that the pannier itself isn't punctured. If it had been on pavement I'd have a lot worse injuries.

The bike is already fixed! I left work early, drove out to the dealer I got the second charger from and he was kind enough to replace the cable on the spot. Bit of a tricky job it was, fishing the cable through. And he checked the bike overall and made some adjustments saying that they know what to check with Giant bikes. (It's a dedicated Giant dealer... in Vaudreuil Quebec. Great people to deal with!) Now I'm just about to pour myself a large glass of Scotch and then pour myself into the jacuzzi for an hour or two. (Depending on how long the Scotch lasts! :) )

Unlikely that I'll be riding the bike to work tomorrow and maybe not for a few days.

Back