Got my new black Surface 604 M/L Rook and found a nice surprise.

AZOldTech

Unlike the silver colored Bafang hub motor that I've seen on the reviews of the 2018 black Rook/Colt
my new black Rook came with a black Bafang motor (see picture below) which is a much improved choice and looks prettier than a silver motor on a black bike. Especially since the front wheel always had a black hub. So now the back wheel matches the front wheel and makes for a prettier looking bike. Nice!

Secondly, in his review above @Court mentions that the brake light is only ON/OFF (at 7:05 minute mark). I don't know if he was incorrect in his description but the brake light on my new Rook has 2 intensities (the regular brake light intensity when lights are on and a slightly higher one when you hit either of the 2 brakes). At night you can clearly see it (in the daylight might be harder to see). So I don't know if this is a new improvement or maybe it has always been this way and none of the reviewers never noticed in the daylight.

I also reprogrammed the throttle to work like it should (meaning provide up to full throttle power in all PAS levels). For now I left PAS 0 as it was (meaning no power whatsoever). I tried it both ways (PAS 0 throttle to full power or no power) but since PAS 1 is the default startup option and I have full throttle power on that plus all the other PAS options, I found better to have PAS 0 as a different option to have no power. But it is easy to change if I ever need it. Reprogramming the controller was super easy and all it took was just 3 minutes to do. I also saved all the factory options in a file so that if I ever needed to go back and compare, I could.

BTW, since the Rook/Colt has 5 levels of assist (6 really if you count PAS 0), remember when using the windows programming software that has 1-9 PAS levels plus PAS 0, the levels 1/3/5/7/9 are the equivalent to a PAS1-5 display computer unlike all 1-9 for a PAS1-9 display computer.

All in all I love my new ebike and I hope the wife will love it too. I also replaced the stock pedals with the Shimano PD-T421 Click'R Pedals which have 1 side flat and one side SPD clips and are beginner friendly and 60% easier to unclip than regular dual SPD pedals. We both are road bikers with dual SPD pedals so it would be a nice option to have even on the ebike. The pedals are well balanced so you can easy flip them to get the side you want.

Now I need to find a good trunk bag to hold a second battery that is 18" long and 4" high. I don't think the problem will be with the height but with the length. If you guys have any ideas, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_20181018_050713.jpg
    IMG_20181018_050713.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 644
  • Unbenannt-15a7440d8ca0ab_600x600.jpg
    Unbenannt-15a7440d8ca0ab_600x600.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
BTW, here is the Bafang manual for the Bafang DP-C07.UART LCD display of the Rook/Colt
https://www.manualslib.com/products/Bafang-Dp-C07-Uart-8742091.html

The only thing about the LCD display are the cryptic codes: (choices; factory default)
tC = Trip Clear (y/n; n)
S7 = Speed in km or mi (km/mi; km)
bL0 = Light sensor sensitivity (0-5; 3)
bL1 = backLight brightness (1-5; 1)
OFF = display auto off time in min (1-9; 5)
mA = Maintenance Warning (0=disable/1=enable; 0) if enabled, SERVICE will appear on the display after >5000km or >100 battery charge cycles
PSd = Password (0000). A certain code allows you to enter the secret menu BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU CHANGE HERE AS YOU CAN BURN YOUR MOTOR AND/OR CONTROLLER.

ERROR CODES
The MAX-C966 display can show e-bike faults. When a fault is detected, this icon (of a wrench) will be displayed. In the speed field one of the following error codes will be displayed:

Error Code Error Description; Error-shooting Method
“03” Brake enabled; Check whether a brake cable is stuck
“04” The throttle has not returned home; Check if throttle has returned home
“05” Throttle fault; Check the throttle
“06” Low voltage protection; Check the battery voltage
“07” Overvoltage protection; Check the battery voltage
“08” Motor hall signal cable fault; Check the motor module
“11” Controller temperature sensor failure; Check the controller
“12” Current sensor failure; Check the controller
“13” Battery temperature fault; Check the battery
“21” Speed sensor fault; Check installation position of speed sensor
“22” BMS communication fault; Replace the battery
“30” Communication fault; Check the controller connection
“10” The motor temperature has reached the threshold; Stop the bicycle until the error code “10” disappears from the screen

Note: Error Code 10 will probably appear on the display when the e-bike been climbing for a long time. This indicates that the motor temperature has reached the protection value, in which case the user needs to stop the e-bike for a rest. If the user continues to run the e-bike, the motor will automatically cut off the power.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the information you have provided. I am having to transition (health) to an ebike and have placed the Rook at the top of my list.

Unlike the silver colored Bafang hub motor that I've seen on the reviews of the 2018 black Rook/Colt
my new black Rook came with a black Bafang motor (see picture below) which is a much improved choice and looks prettier than a silver motor on a black bike. Especially since the front wheel always had a black hub. So now the back wheel matches the front wheel and makes for a prettier looking bike. Nice!

Secondly, in his review above @Court mentions that the brake light is only ON/OFF (at 7:05 minute mark). I don't know if he was incorrect in his description but the brake light on my new Rook has 2 intensities (the regular brake light intensity when lights are on and a slightly higher one when you hit either of the 2 brakes). At night you can clearly see it (in the daylight might be harder to see). So I don't know if this is a new improvement or maybe it has always been this way and none of the reviewers never noticed in the daylight.

I also reprogrammed the throttle to work like it should (meaning provide up to full throttle power in all PAS levels). For now I left PAS 0 as it was (meaning no power whatsoever). I tried it both ways (PAS 0 throttle to full power or no power) but since PAS 1 is the default startup option and I have full throttle power on that plus all the other PAS options, I found better to have PAS 0 as a different option to have no power. But it is easy to change if I ever need it. Reprogramming the controller was super easy and all it took was just 3 minutes to do. I also saved all the factory options in a file so that if I ever needed to go back and compare, I could.

BTW, since the Rook/Colt has 5 levels of assist (6 really if you count PAS 0), remember when using the windows programming software that has 1-9 PAS levels plus PAS 0, the levels 1/3/5/7/9 are the equivalent to a PAS1-5 display computer unlike all 1-9 for a PAS1-9 display computer.

All in all I love my new ebike and I hope the wife will love it too. I also replaced the stock pedals with the Shimano PD-T421 Click'R Pedals which have 1 side flat and one side SPD clips and are beginner friendly and 60% easier to unclip than regular dual SPD pedals. We both are road bikers with dual SPD pedals so it would be a nice option to have even on the ebike. The pedals are well balanced so you can easy flip them to get the side you want.

Now I need to find a good trunk bag to hold a second battery that is 18" long and 4" high. I don't think the problem will be with the height but with the length. If you guys have any ideas, let me know.
Hi Larry, how many miles can you get on your new Rook with the original battery?

Hi Larry, how many miles can you get on your new Rook with the original battery?
I'm not allowing the battery to go below 30-40% before recharging so with 60% of the battery I can get about 25miles here in Arizona on paved roads that are pretty much flat.

Back