Got hit by a car last night

Just to update this they offered the driver plead to DUI and they will drop the fleeing the scene charge. He said he is going to fight it and go to court. Looks like I will have a court date sometime in the future.

Just to update this they offered the driver plead to DUI and they will drop the fleeing the scene charge. He said he is going to fight it and go to court. Looks like I will have a court date sometime in the future.

I used to be a cop and, assuming they did their job right, hopefully they/you have witness information and can call them to testify as well. In my experience it generally wasn't needed, but it was something good to have. He probably figures because he got out of the previous DUI charges, he can probably get out of this one. If you haven't already done so, I'd probably pursue a civil case against him for damages as well. I know in many cases, their insurance will drop them if they find out they were driving while intoxicated, even if they don't actually get a conviction (obviously that varies). I had cases in the past where guys I stopped had the charges dropped, but they were more or less black listed and most insurance companies wouldn't cover them. If they did, it was at stupid high rates.

Back