Google Maps Bicycle Routing

Jim1348

For those that use Google Maps for bicycle routing, does it take into account bicycle legal/safe/friendly bridges?

In my experience, it does for the most part. I'll sometimes use Google Maps for quick navigation on mid workday errands or moving between work locations in Seattle and it will typically choose one of the bridges that has an actual bike lane.

In this example both alternatives offered have (mostly) separated bike lanes and Google doesn't suggest I-5(bikes not allowed) or the Aurora bridge (even though Google shows it as a bike route and you have to go on a 3ft sidewalk between fences unless you have a death wish).

1000009460.png

YMMV obviously. And Google will definitely suggest the other bridges(never I-5 though) if those routes are significantly shorter or there are no alternatives.

I use street view before heading into unknown areas. Every time.

It would be cool if google used their satellite, street view, and AI power to really rate the safety of roads. Instead they predictably use data from cities about designated bike routes. I can think of at least a few in my city that I have never traveled on due to safety reasons (e.g. tiny unprotected gutter of a bike lane a 45 mph posted speed limit).

It would be cool if google used their satellite, street view, and AI power to really rate the safety of roads. Instead they predictably use data from cities about designated bike routes. I can think of at least a few in my city that I have never traveled on due to safety reasons (e.g. tiny unprotected gutter of a bike lane a 45 mph posted speed limit).
You could do all of that by hoovering up Street View images and cross-linking it to existing bicycle accident datasets. Then you could turn around and sell it to Google for a billion dollars. Of course you would violate T&Cs left and right on the way but you can't make a decent omelet without breaking a few eggs.

Google maps varies a-lot, and the browser version is not in sync with various app versions. Tripple check at a minimum the route. Lots going on here with bike paths and such and google can easily be a couple years behind. Often it will refer to routes that are pure fiction so always try to have a backup plan. Also remember the route it chooses for A-to-B may not work when going from B-to-A. It's a valuable tool, but it does not know if you want the scenic route or one more commuter oriented. It's often good to compare the bike route, with the vehicle, and walking routes. I'm always modifying the route it chooses, and that is easier in the browser than some app versions. It's getting better, i'm sure it is learning from the routes people are taking. Needless to say location is a big factor as well.

Back