Good Stuff You Bought

Just got a solder sucker, a JST pin crimper, and food grease for our kitchen aid mixer. Gonna be a good weekend.
There's some good videos out there on how to disassemble the kitchenaid head. Watch them first, don't try to figure it out. I'm guessing the worm gear is worn down, that's the common part that needs replaced. If it doesn't power up at all, then it's the control board. There's only one active component on the board, and it's only rated for 6A. You can get the same component in 12A. It's very easy to replace but getting the speed settings configured again after you put the board back on can be difficult.

There's some good videos out there on how to disassemble the kitchenaid head. Watch them first, don't try to figure it out. I'm guessing the worm gear is worn down, that's the common part that needs replaced. If it doesn't power up at all, then it's the control board. There's only one active component on the board, and it's only rated for 6A. You can get the same component in 12A. It's very easy to replace but getting the speed settings configured again after you put the board back on can be difficult.
Yes, I have an MSC in YouTube. ;) I have the older version mixer with black grease and Phillips screws, not the newer white grease models with square head screws.

Though hotrodding a mixer sounds fun, I don’t think my wife would agree. I’ll keep the hotrodding to my things. :)

Yes, I have an MSC in YouTube. ;) I have the older version mixer with black grease and Phillips screws, not the newer white grease models with square head screws.

Though hotrodding a mixer sounds fun, I don’t think my wife would agree. I’ll keep the hotrodding to my things. :)
It's not really hotrodding it, if I recall it's a TRIAC, BTA06 installed, and it will burn out, especially if you kneed bread a lot of dough. Stiffer doughs like bagels will kill it fast. Replacing it with a BTA12 will keep it dying during heavy load. Just keep it in mind if it dies before you spend $80 on a new control board.

It's not really hotrodding it, if I recall it's a TRIAC, BTA06 installed, and it will burn out, especially if you kneed bread a lot of dough. Stiffer doughs like bagels will kill it fast. Replacing it with a BTA12 will keep it dying during heavy load. Just keep it in mind if it dies before you spend $80 on a new control board.
Ahh. I see. Makes perfect sense. I’ll look in to that. Thanks for the heads up.

If you need help when you're working on it, ask. I've rebuilt many of them. I love my kitchenaid mixers, best ones on the market. Fortunately, they're not hard to fix, and the parts are readily available and inexpensive.

I got the bigger brother of the three, the Fumpa. Very powerful and fast.
And noisy! 🤣
That's OK though.
One thing I'm cautious with is the on/off switch. If left on, the battery will drain, so I keep the Fumpa in a plastic bag and wrap that in an old towel.
I had it in my trunk bag with no covering and of course it got bounced around and something flicked the switch on.
So far so good now.

And noisy! 🤣
That's OK though.
One thing I'm cautious with is the on/off switch. If left on, the battery will drain, so I keep the Fumpa in a plastic bag and wrap that in an old towel.
I had it in my trunk bag with no covering and of course it got bounced around and something flicked the switch on.
So far so good now.
I too admit that the noise caught me off guard a bit but I presume that shouldn't be unexpected from such a small pump to be inflating tires so quick and efficiently. Thanks for the heads up on the power switch.

If you need help when you're working on it, ask. I've rebuilt many of them. I love my kitchenaid mixers, best ones on the market. Fortunately, they're not hard to fix, and the parts are readily available and inexpensive.
Many thanks! I’m hoping to work on it tonight, on my kitchen table, with the kids.ill put down some crappy shirts and cardboard. Seems like a messy job.

I too admit that the noise caught me off guard a bit but I presume that shouldn't be unexpected from such a small pump to be inflating tires so quick and efficiently. Thanks for the heads up on the power switch.
I recently bought one too. I bought the middle sized model.
Speaking of noise, I was showing my new pump to my senior's cycling group, while we were sitting around a table at one of our coffee stop locations, and someone asked me to turn it on, so I did.
Made the people sitting close to me jump. :p

I recently bought one too. I bought the middle sized model.
Speaking of noise, I was showing my new pump to my senior's cycling group, while we were sitting around a table at one of our coffee stop locations, and someone asked me to turn it on, so I did.
Made the people sitting close to me jump. :p
Yup... first time made me jump too! :eek:

*a package appears…

Got distracted from thinking about regressing the mixer when my spacers came. I had an extra 5mm play with my new riser stem. Needed another 5mm for it to fit right. Figured I’d get a matching blue. The reason I had to get a new riser stem was because, my existing one “knocks” I notice it each ride. I feel it. As much as I tighten the clamp bolt, at the elbow, it is still present. I checked and checked the fork, wheel, and handlebars too. Once I isolated the “knocking” sound/feel, I immediately searched for a new riser stem. This one is (not blue ha:) 20mm taller and feels nicer quality than my original.

Attachments

• IMG_3557.jpeg
    IMG_3557.jpeg
    271.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3556.jpeg
    IMG_3556.jpeg
    269.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
This device for easy cleaning of the chain.
Works fine on a hub- or no-gear bicycle.

First time using it, and was amazed how the cleaning liquid turned into fat black gunk and dust.
So repeated the process.

Encourages me to clean and oil the chain frequently.

Attachments

• Chain_cleaner2.jpg
    Chain_cleaner2.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 119
This device for easy cleaning of the chain.
Works fine on a hub- or no-gear bicycle.

First time using it, and was amazed how the cleaning liquid turned into fat black gunk and dust.
So repeated the process.

Encourages me to clean and oil the chain frequently.
I have the Park tool version. These tools make the job a lot easier. Haven't needed it since going to Squirt wax lube though...

How do you go about "getting the speed settings configured again"? I smell burning after I turn on the mixer. It was actually smelling like that before I replaced the grease. Smells like its coming from the back, close to where the phase control board is. Would the BTA06 chip smell before it completely fails? (Looks like a FET). I'm thinking that I should probably replace that with the BTA12-(600B?). My wife has been making bread much more often. So the mixer has been getting heavy use. I'll ask her how long that has been smelling, though.

How do you go about "getting the speed settings configured again"? I smell burning after I turn on the mixer. It was actually smelling like that before I replaced the grease. Smells like its coming from the back, close to where the phase control board is. Would the BTA06 chip smell before it completely fails? (Looks like a FET). I'm thinking that I should probably replace that with the BTA12-(600B?). My wife has been making bread much more often. So the mixer has been getting heavy use. I'll ask her how long that has been smelling, though.
I'm guessing this is the tilthead mixer with the 325W motor in it. There's a round cover over the board on the back of the mixer. That board comes off with a couple of screws. Only take out what is needed to remove the board. I like to take good pictures of everything before I take anything apart. While looking things up, I found this: https://www.goodmans.net/i/1704/kitchenaid-mixer-speed-control-board-9706595-97012.htm which wasn't around the 10+ years or so when I did mine. Most of the repairs I did on mixers was in the power head replacing worn parts in there. When I originally looked that control board was $80+. That deal is better than ordering the components. I would order one of them. Then order the components and replace it on your bad one. If she's making dough a lot, she's going to burn out those 6A versions. These mixers work hard when kneeding, it's also what wears out the worm gear.

Hope this helps.

I'm guessing this is the tilthead mixer with the 325W motor in it. There's a round cover over the board on the back of the mixer. That board comes off with a couple of screws. Only take out what is needed to remove the board. I like to take good pictures of everything before I take anything apart. While looking things up, I found this: https://www.goodmans.net/i/1704/kitchenaid-mixer-speed-control-board-9706595-97012.htm which wasn't around the 10+ years or so when I did mine. Most of the repairs I did on mixers was in the power head replacing worn parts in there. When I originally looked that control board was $80+. That deal is better than ordering the components. I would order one of them. Then order the components and replace it on your bad one. If she's making dough a lot, she's going to burn out those 6A versions. These mixers work hard when kneeding, it's also what wears out the worm gear.

Hope this helps.
WOW! Thank you! The mixer is tilthead style with the 300w max motor. The board you linked appears to be just what I need. Are you saying that I should also order the BTA12 and swap that in? I can't tell if the new board also has the BTA-06. I did check the worm gear and there isn't anything crazy going on there, teeth look fine.

Back