Good candidate for BBOS2?

Kaldeem

Stumbled upon this video about Priority bicycles. They are simple low maintenance bikes with carbon belt and 3 speed internally geared rear hub. Seems like it might be decent for a conversion kit.

Looks like a fun simple design and I like the belt drive. Brakes are the old coaster style within the geared hub. Maybe somewhat problematic for the mid drive. Paul does offer a button switch motor cut off that would work to kill the motor, and yes when the pedal is not in forward motion the motor is inactive. There is a lag period however. With the geared hub would you need to cut power when shifting? Maybe with the belt shifting is less of a problem. IDK. Would be a fun bike for flat or mild grade riding. Thanks for sharing.

Great info, thanks! I was thinking the same thing. The bike comes with some different parts, like you can get a more aggressive handle bar and minor accessories; phone holder, rack and baskets etc. But definetly a nice bike for some casual riding.

I'm going to order one in the next month for my normal bike.

On sale now! They also offer an optional lever brake. The other issue however, for a conversion the belt ring (no chain) would be perhaps a problem with mounting to the 8Fun. Maybe a front wheel hub motor would make it work? In any case a nice looking well fitted bike for not much of an investment.

Well, I just ordered this bike this morning, it should be here in a few days. Does anyone know how to adapt the BBOS 2 to the gates carbon belt drive system? Just curious if it can be done at all.

Yea,

I know in theory. There are a couple of chainring adapters e.g. here http://california-ebike.com...

The Klaxon Nelson runs such a combo albeit with a SunStar middrive.

EB-Klaxon-Nelson-E-Fatbike-Antrieb-2015.jpg EB-Klaxon-Nelson-E-Fatbike-Gates-Riemenantrieb-2015.jpg EB-Klaxon-Nelson-E-Fatbike-Schaltung-2015.jpg
source: http://www.mountainbike-magazin.de/...siertes-stahl-fatbike-fuer-2015.1232386.2.htm

I'm trying to find out whether the SunStar and BaFang chainrings share the same mount.

Happy waiting and building!

BTW: with your e-bike conversion I fear you'll spoil the "maintenance free effect" ;)

Hm, it's in a foreign language, and google translate is lame. Thanks for the tips though, I'll have to dig deeper, there has to be something.

I found an attachment, and a thread on Endless-sphere which has discussing the conversion of a Gates belt drive to the BBos 2 mid-drive system. Some of the problems people have incurred were:
1) The bike frame wasn't pre-cut specifically for the Gates Carbon Belt drive system.
2) The model of the GCBD had the tension adjustor in a position that conflicted with the placement of the bbos 2.
3) Something about the Chain line being straight.

For more accuracy, I'll ask a few questions and post some of the article here to see if anyone can figure out an alternative method to this DIY eBike.
1. What is an eccentric bottom bracket?
2. How do you tell if your bicycle has an EBB (eccentric bottom bracket)?

I also contacted CA ebikes, and they emailed me back saying they manufacture a 130 BCD that adapts to the Gates belt drive and should work with the bbos 2.

Just food for thought right now, after I get my bike and inspect it, I'll make a decision on whether or not to DIY ebike it, and post here on my decision.

My Priority bicycle came in yesterday night. After assembling it today and taking it for a 50 min test ride, I love it. The belt drive is smooth like butter. I also ordered a front rim brake (because I don't like only having coaster back pedal braking) and some fenders, all of which assembled with ease. One thing to note with coaster brakes is coasting; even the slightest backward motion on the pedals, and you can feel the bike slowing down. It must have some sort of modifier because it's super smooth, not like a kids bike or a fixie where you can jam it and skid for a few feet.

More to come later.

Back