Going the distance on an ST1

Blue Bill

I'm a 6'2, 235lb rider with bad knees and it's time for me to get some exercise. I would also like to maximize the range. With the default ECO mode it's pretty hard to break a sweat, so I've turned the Sensor Sensitivity down to 20% and now I have to put some effort into my ride.

I'd like to do 100miles on a single charge (I did get the 14.5AH battery) and lose about 30lbs before summer is over. I did in install a Toba Roger fender/rack so I can drag the charger along just in case.

This is also the first time I've used padded bicycle shorts, they sure do help on the longer trips.

I'm a 6'2, 235lb rider with bad knees and it's time for me to get some exercise. I would also like to maximize the range. With the default ECO mode it's pretty hard to break a sweat, so I've turned the Sensor Sensitivity down to 20% and now I have to put some effort into my ride.

I'd like to do 100miles on a single charge (I did get the 14.5AH battery) and lose about 30lbs before summer is over. I did in install a Toba Roger fender/rack so I can drag the charger along just in case.

This is also the first time I've used padded bicycle shorts, they sure do help on the longer trips.

would like to know how far you do go in ECO mode and the average speed... I can go maybe 40 miles with my Stromer Elite in ECO mode with the 11ah battery.

IF you do take your charger along don't forget the adapter so you can charge it with the battery out of the bike... You'd be surprised how much capacity you can claim in an hour's worth of charging... you know Lunch Hour..lol

It was good weather today for riding, managed ~50km (this is ~30 miles) with 74% remaining. Lots of peddling at 20% assist in ECO mode. 45psi in the tires.

At 20% the power chevrons >>> rarely get above one, you've got to really push the pedals.

Cool, sounds like you're well on your way to that 100 mile mark Blue Bill. Appreciate the details on how you're making it happen (with the dialed down torque sensor and higher pressure tires). I've seen the manual for the Stromer ST1 beflore but could you remind me real quick how you changed the sensitivity?

I have made some tests with the Stromer ST1 with the 14.5 Ah Akku. The Legend and Marks are all German, but ist easy, here the Translation:
Power 40% means in Mode POWER and the Sensitivy-Sensor set to 40%, ans so on...

The are all with also some climbing, normaly env. 600-800 m per Accucharge, because Switzerland is not only flat ;-)

Stromer Distance.jpg

Great graph, I've been trying to stay in Eco 30% and slowly dropping it down to Eco 20%. Aiming for 160 km if possible. I doubt regen adds much and it only kicks in when the battery is < 70%

Cool, sounds like you're well on your way to that 100 mile mark Blue Bill. Appreciate the details on how you're making it happen (with the dialed down torque sensor and higher pressure tires). I've seen the manual for the Stromer ST1 beflore but could you remind me real quick how you changed the sensitivity?
It's setting #1004

Regen does almost nothing.... I rode my bike at regen 2 while my battery was at about 80%. I rode for half an hour just to see what, if any, improvements I got for my effort,. 1% I busted my ass for 1%

What regen/no assist does to me is the net gain on range attained. I find that if I am milking the battery for range I switch to no assist or regen frequently on downhills. 2 weeks ago I was able to do more than 30 miles and still have more than 50% on the battery (I forgot what it was). If I go with regular bikes or with my wife who likes to go slow I use no assist and regen very often.

James, regen only works below 70% so if you regen above that you are just going no motor, this is no loss but no gain. I think it is the same on both Sport (2012) and ST1 (2013 +). I have heard 5-10% thrown around . It certainly depends on the the terrain but you could try this. Go up and down the same hill , no regen and count the number of trips. Then another time after a complete recharge use regen each time down..I would think the biggest gain will be the amount of brake pad not worn off :) but you will also see some increased trips too, just not many but they are free!

Mark

Hmmm, I have hit 32 mph or so so haven't hit that wall yet. It also may be a different setting for different areas. I think I read on the Stromer forum(through Google translate) that it is adjustable by a display setting but which one? they are in the Alps where downhill can be quite a bit :) As someone else wrote we seem to have a better chance of finding the secret Coke recipe then add'l Stromer display settings.

Used to be 9999 was the factory reset (should still work on pre ST1) but I no longer can do that, bad code error

Mark

Yeah there is a regen mode... I don't think I understand it very well though!! I pedaled home the other day and just about died with it on.. I did arrive home with 85% battery life however

Yesterday I rode my ST2 with the original 814 Wh battery:
Distance = 96km
Climbing = 1200 m
Charge remaining= 55%
Assist Level= 1

Yeah some more range would be nice... I'm working my battery pretty hard every commute. Empty to full charge twice a day will take it's toll eventually

Back