Gocycle in hilly Nashville

EdC

I’m visiting my son in Nashville. I brought the gocycle along. Fits perfect in the small trunk of my Ford Tbird. The hills here in Nashville are high and abundant, but I haven’t found any the I couldn’t climb with ease. I also have a Pedego Latch with a rear hub motor and a Pegasus bike with a Bosh active line plus mid drive motor. The gocycle beats both with ease on up hill climbs and it’s the most fun to ride of all my bikes. Ed

I’m visiting my son in Nashville. I brought the gocycle along. Fits perfect in the small trunk of my Ford Tbird. The hills here in Nashville are high and abundant, but I haven’t found any the I couldn’t climb with ease. I also have a Pedego Latch with a rear hub motor and a Pegasus bike with a Bosh active line plus mid drive motor. The gocycle beats both with ease on up hill climbs and it’s the most fun to ride of all my bikes. Ed

They got a bike rack outside Tooties for it?

How steep are the hills you were climbing out of curiosity? And which model of Gocycle do you use? I'm considering the GX model (the new one that just started shipping) and wondering whether it can handle a particularly steep hill that kills me every time I commute :)

How steep are the hills you were climbing out of curiosity? And which model of Gocycle do you use? I'm considering the GX model (the new one that just started shipping) and wondering whether it can handle a particularly steep hill that kills me every time I commute :)
I have a gs. I’ve had it for a little over a year. I have a little under 1000 miles on it. The steepest hill I went up was at least 10% , and maybe 100 feet high. There are a lot of them in Nashville and ware I was the were a lot. Went about 20 miles on my longest trip and still had one bar left. That little bike zipped up those hills with the throttle and just a little peddle effort. What a bike! It’s a real blast to ride. Ed

I live on a short but fairly steep hill. If I stop half way up to get the mail, I need to walk my GX up the rest of the way up. There is no traditional throttle to jump start escalating the hill. You need to be able to generate 4mph before you get any pedal assist. It is very disappointing and I will likely sell the bike and get one with a throttle that Can climb from a dead stop.

Stringbeanie, if you are in the US, you might be able to configure your Gocycle as a Type 2, if permitted.

From Gocycle support, Type 2 -- the motor will operate even when the pedals are not turning – so called scooter mode. Check your local state regulations for legality, for example New York City does not permit Type 2

Stringbeanie, if you are in the US, you might be able to configure your Gocycle as a Type 2, if permitted.

From Gocycle support, Type 2 -- the motor will operate even when the pedals are not turning – so called scooter mode. Check your local state regulations for legality, for example New York City does not permit Type 2
Even the type 2 firmware requires you to be moving before applying throttle. That said, it's not realistic to expect the tiny GoCycle hub drive to get you started on a hill without any pedal assist -- put the bike in 1st gear and pedal a bit. If you aren't able to move the bike by pedaling it up the hill in 1st gear, the motor isn't going to be capable either.

Back