Giant quick e newby

Hbomb

Perhaps I’m not shifting correctly, but I can ride to work quicker on my road bike than this bike. Most of the time I feel like I’m pedaling a 60 lb bike even in sport mode. And to test this theory I turned off pedal assist completely and it made zero difference! So I was, in fact, pedaling a 60 lb bicycle! I appreciate the surprise workout, but the whole point was to get to work a little faster without being too sweaty. Any advice? Oh also, when on an incline, the motor assists intermittently, and when it slows it actually feels like it’s braking on me. What am I doing wrong?

Did you turn it on ? Are you shifting while pedaling ? No supposed to on an e-Bike from What I see in Corts Videos I don't own an ebike yet But it seems to me there's got to be a Key activated Switch

I brought the explore e3 in September, the assistance is very obvious at each level.

Did u test rode it at the dealer before you brought it home?

Yeah it was awesome. I rode both the explore e and quick e. I liked the integrated lights and the rack, it was commute ready. Plus I got an awesome deal on the quick e. Now I’m kinda regretting it. My app says that nothing is wrong with the motor. I can’t play around with it at the moment because I got a flat yesterday without a spare. Amateur move.
Am I supposed to pause pedalling to shift?

Yeah it was awesome. I rode both the explore e and quick e. I liked the integrated lights and the rack, it was commute ready. Plus I got an awesome deal on the quick e. Now I’m kinda regretting it. My app says that nothing is wrong with the motor. I can’t play around with it at the moment because I got a flat yesterday without a spare. Amateur move.

I ain’t no expert, but I usually just Slow down when shifting so the chain doesn’t grind

you are right, I had to add the rear rack to make it a true commuter. I am still running on the stock Giant Gravel 2 700x45 tires, around 350km on them so far. Since the riding season is almost over in Toronto, I will upgrade to something more puncture proof in the spring.

Last edited:
I have been riding bikes my whole life so I know a bit about shifting. Just feel like this bike should be a little bit more “assist-y”. I know its a torque bike, I just didn’t think I would feel like the bike is literally braking on me when it’s supposed to be helping me. Yesterday I rode 50 miles and I still have 75% on my battery!

Perhaps I’m not shifting correctly, but I can ride to work quicker on my road bike than this bike. Most of the time I feel like I’m pedaling a 60 lb bike even in sport mode. And to test this theory I turned off pedal assist completely and it made zero difference! So I was, in fact, pedaling a 60 lb bicycle! I appreciate the surprise workout, but the whole point was to get to work a little faster without being too sweaty. Any advice? Oh also, when on an incline, the motor assists intermittently, and when it slows it actually feels like it’s braking on me. What am I doing wrong?

it sounds like you’re in safe mode. I accidentally put it in this mode when I left the store and was so pissed because I couldn’t get above 16 mph.
I forget how many times you press it, but pressing the light button 5-6 times in quick succession puts it in and out of this mode. You’ll have to mess with it or contact the lbs or giant and they can tell you exactly what to do. You should be able to go 26-27 mph in sport + with very little effort.

Reactions: CDB
AHA! I have a two year old...he probably played with it while I was at work. He loves to play with the lights! Thank you Matt I will try it when I get home... after I change my tire...

AHA! I have a two year old...he probably played with it while I was at work. He loves to play with the lights! Thank you Matt I will try it when I get home... after I change my tire...
I can’t recommend going tubeless enough if you’re not already. Takes a little extra effort and maintenance, and maybe an investment in a home pump with a canister for shooting air into the tire, or a compressor if you have one. Makes a world of difference in ride quality and not having to take apart a wheel in the field is priceless. Get a small plug kit and you’re good to go. Happy trails!

think of shifting a bike like shifting a manual transmission in a car. You don’t want to have pressure on the chain in between shifts, but you don’t have to necessarily stop pedaling between shifts, just let off enough to not grind the chain. Also, if your derailleur has a clutch like mine, you’ll want to make sure the gray switch is up or on. This will keep tension on the chain and result in smoother shifting. Off for taking rear wheel off.

When do you guys stop commuting on your ebike? I m from Toronto, it’s -2 next week, so it might be the last week for me

I live in San Diego. So...Never :) I checked the temp the other morning and it was 45 degrees f and I was like NO WAY.. and went back to bed. ;)

I live in San Diego. So...Never :) I checked the temp the other morning and it was 45 degrees f and I was like NO WAY.. and went back to bed. ;)
Your description sounds exactly like what Cort often mentions in Videos on Mid-drive System. You are reaching the Limit of Cadence assist and need to shift : Sounds like you just need to learn the Bike by experimenting :

Yeah, definitely make sure you're not in the "safe" mode or otherwise get it checked out at your LBS. Also see the long thread on the Quick-E here. Good tips from others' experiences being posted there. Enjoy tour e-ride!!

I can’t recommend going tubeless enough if you’re not already. Takes a little extra effort and maintenance, and maybe an investment in a home pump with a canister for shooting air into the tire, or a compressor if you have one. Makes a world of difference in ride quality and not having to take apart a wheel in the field is priceless. Get a small plug kit and you’re good to go. Happy trails!
The rims aren’t tubeless so no chance of that. I did put on slime tubes today so hopefully that will help, and I’m looking to upgrade tires next time around. I just gotta be more careful I guess.
Update? Get it working?

Yep had to replace with slime tubes first, took it for a spin and seems to get up to speed super fast, but too soon to tell, haven’t really been able to open her up.

Right on. Glad to hear it. If they are the stock wheels, I’ve been assured from a giant rep that they are indeed tubeless ready, have almost 3000 miles on them and no issues. Even though every bike tech that’s looked at them as told me they aren’t tubeless. Pain in the butt, but the results don’t lie.

Back