Giant Momentum Transcend E+ vs Priority Current

For the Priority Current e-bike, they have changed from using Enviolo 380 to Shimano Inter-5E IGH. It's a recent change by them. So the criticism of the Priority Current is from using Shimano Inter-5E not Enviolo 380.
Did you actually ride the Current with the Shimano?

Did you actually ride the Current with the Shimano?
No, but they're so few bikes with this fairly new Shimano Inter-5E IGH to test one. But the people who have ridden e-bikes with this Shimano Inter-5E IGH have generally been critical of it. I have similar needs as siqueirah & Marrduk, so I watched this thread with interest.

I did a test ride of the Momentum Transcend E+ today. It was definitely an interesting and much needed experience. My takeaway is that I just had poor expectations. I expected too much power from a mid drive bike, when in reality it wasn't that much different from the hub bikes I have tried in that aspect (much different on other areas!). I biked around town, tried flat surfaces with a mix of low and high assist, and tried a 10% hill on max assist.

In terms of the feel, it was definitely a pleasant and smooth experience. It truly felt like an actual bike, just stronger - much different than the hub bikes. Pedaling with 0 assist was doable on flat ground, but not a lot of fun. On assist level 1, it felt like a regular bike on flat terrain, but still had some drag. 2 and 3 were the nicest for flat riding. Going up the hill on PAS 5 still required significant effort on my part. I am 165lbs and very out of shape, so definitely worked up a sweat going up the hill. On stoplights, I understand the difference between mid drive and hub. The hub motors I tried would leave everyone else in the dust from a complete stop, they give it their all from the get go - I guess this is what people refer to as 'jerky'. The mid drive was much more gradual - easier than a regular bike, but more similar. Shifting was a learning experience - I had to fight the urge to shift while pedaling. I did that accidentally a few times and it didn't work. I had to stop pedaling so it would shift.

I tried a size large - I felt that it was leaning forward a bit too much for my taste. Nothing that an adjustable stem wouldn't fix and/or maybe different handlebars. The medium would have suited me better.

Carrying it up and down the stairs with the battery was a non issue. Very lightweight, very easy. I was afraid it would be difficult - not at all.

Overall this was a great experience. I now understand how it feels and have much more moderate expectations. I was a bit disappointed that I don't get a drastically better experience or hill climbing ability given that I am paying so much more. I can relate to @Marrduk24 in the sense that in certain moments, I felt like the citibikes gave me greater assist. I feel that I really need to be smart about my gearing when using a mid drive. For hub bikes, you can use whatever gear you feel like to climb a hill, since it directly drives the wheel without any regards for gearing. I do get a more natural feel and better components/reliability.

I did a test ride of the Momentum Transcend E+ today. It was definitely an interesting and much needed experience. My takeaway is that I just had poor expectations. I expected too much power from a mid drive bike, when in reality it wasn't that much different from the hub bikes I have tried in that aspect (much different on other areas!). I biked around town, tried flat surfaces with a mix of low and high assist, and tried a 10% hill on max assist.

In terms of the feel, it was definitely a pleasant and smooth experience. It truly felt like an actual bike, just stronger - much different than the hub bikes. Pedaling with 0 assist was doable on flat ground, but not a lot of fun. On assist level 1, it felt like a regular bike on flat terrain, but still had some drag. 2 and 3 were the nicest for flat riding. Going up the hill on PAS 5 still required significant effort on my part. I am 165lbs and very out of shape, so definitely worked up a sweat going up the hill. On stoplights, I understand the difference between mid drive and hub. The hub motors I tried would leave everyone else in the dust from a complete stop, they give it their all from the get go - I guess this is what people refer to as 'jerky'. The mid drive was much more gradual - easier than a regular bike, but more similar. Shifting was a learning experience - I had to fight the urge to shift while pedaling. I did that accidentally a few times and it didn't work. I had to stop pedaling so it would shift.

I tried a size large - I felt that it was leaning forward a bit too much for my taste. Nothing that an adjustable stem wouldn't fix and/or maybe different handlebars. The medium would have suited me better.

Carrying it up and down the stairs with the battery was a non issue. Very lightweight, very easy. I was afraid it would be difficult - not at all.

Overall this was a great experience. I now understand how it feels and have much more moderate expectations. I was a bit disappointed that I don't get a drastically better experience or hill climbing ability given that I am paying so much more. I can relate to @Marrduk24 in the sense that in certain moments, I felt like the citibikes gave me greater assist. I feel that I really need to be smart about my gearing when using a mid drive. For hub bikes, you can use whatever gear you feel like to climb a hill, since it directly drives the wheel without any regards for gearing. I do get a more natural feel and better components/reliability.
Very good. You really learn a lot more riding than reading, I think.

people laugh at me when I say this but I enjoy riding a citi bike a lot and better than most of mid drives I have tried. I think it’s a function of a couple of things:
1. More upright position
2. No fiddling around with gears or power level. You just hop on and ride
3. Somehow it feels like less effort: I am pedaling but not getting tired. When I want to go 30 blocks, I don’t feel like stopping and end up taking a 30 block detour :)

So that’s why I started wondering if upright , hub drives bikes like aventon level might be worth giving a shot to.

people laugh at me when I say this but I enjoy riding a citi bike a lot and better than most of mid drives I have tried. I think it’s a function of a couple of things:
1. More upright position
2. No fiddling around with gears or power level. You just hop on and ride
3. Somehow it feels like less effort: I am pedaling but not getting tired. When I want to go 30 blocks, I don’t feel like stopping and end up taking a 30 block detour :)

So that’s why I started wondering if upright , hub drives bikes like aventon level might be worth giving a shot to.
1. Not really any connection between hub and upright AFAIK. I ride a Como, an upright, mid drive. Also Mid drives vary in power just like Hubs.
2. I call it shifting, not fiddling. Very rarely touch the power level , just pedal harder, unless it's a monster hill. (Turbo to the rescue)
3. Maybe less effort on the flats ... not on hills.
4. Bonus point ... The Fit Really Matters. Medium to Large frame is a big deal.

1. Not really any connection between hub and upright AFAIK. I ride a Como, an upright, mid drive. Also Mid drives vary in power just like Hubs.
2. I call it shifting, not fiddling. Very rarely touch the power level , just pedal harder, unless it's a monster hill. (Turbo to the rescue)
3. Maybe less effort on the flats ... not on hills.
4. Bonus point ... The Fit Really Matters. Medium to Large frame is a big deal.
I think what he means with #1 is that the citibikes, regardless of motor type, usually have upright riding positions with swept back handlebars to please more casual riders.
For #2, it's what I said: hub motors make extremely poor use of gears, so you're usually better off not using them at all. They also have no assist level control.

I don't think he's trying to make the point that rental bikes are better.

I think what he means with #1 is that the citibikes, regardless of motor type, usually have upright riding positions with swept back handlebars to please more casual riders.
For #2, it's what I said: hub motors make extremely poor use of gears, so you're usually better off not using them at all. They also have no assist level control.

I don't think he's trying to make the point that rental bikes are better.
I was talking hub vs mid. I didn't even know that a "Citibike" is a rental. Just another brand I'd never heard of. I don't go into cities at all if possible.

I was talking hub vs mid. I didn't even know that a "Citibike" is a rental. Just another brand I'd never heard of. I don't go into cities at all if possible.
Citi (from Citibank) Bike is a bike sharing system that operates in NY. Many other companies operate similar systems in different cities. The term is sometimes colloquially used to designated this type of bikes as a whole...

citi-bike.jpg
_112534479_getty-bike.jpg
BP9I1621_Edit_Cropped_baywheels_ALT.0.jpg

Ye
Citi (from Citibank) Bike is a bike sharing system that operates in NY. Many other companies operate similar systems in different cities. The term is sometimes colloquially used to designated this type of bikes as a whole...

citi-bike.jpg
_112534479_getty-bike.jpg
BP9I1621_Edit_Cropped_baywheels_ALT.0.jpg
Yes. I call them rentals, regardless of brand. Hertz, Avis.

In my mind I visualize the available bikes as a spectrum with heavy throttle bikes that are almost electric moped on one end and lightweight, light assist bikes like the Cannondale Neo (250w battery) on the other end. My preference is toward the more bicycle like eBikes, but I certainly understand the appeal of the more moped like bikes. It's great to have so many options to choose from, the catch is it can make it confusing to find the best option for you. This is where research helps, opinions are useful, but test rides rule!

Let me tell you about myself: 66 YO who because of some OCD issues and Covid(total boredom) has purchased 3 e-bikes in the last few months! I have a Trek Verve 3, Giant Le Free (for my wife) and just recently bought the Priority Current(supposed to be for my daughter (but I really wanted it!). I’m 6’5”, 205lbs and in reasonably good shape. I live on a fairly steep hill in LA and here’s my 2 cents: The Verve is the the best BIKE without using power, the Giant LeFree is great for my wife because of the auto-power mode(she doesn’t have to mess around pushing things) and both get up the steep hill with ease. The engine in the Current seems weak to me..I need to put in 5 and very low gear to get up my hill(its supposed to have the most power/torque). The Envilio and gates belt are great but the engine seems too weak. Also, I bought the large frame and it feels like a medium. I called Priority and they said their bike should be more powerful than the Verve 3 or Giant. Huh? So, right now I’m on the fence about keeping the Current. Finally, in my humble opinion, the Giant for $2000 is the best all around.

Let me tell you about myself: 66 YO who because of some OCD issues and Covid(total boredom) has purchased 3 e-bikes in the last few months! I have a Trek Verve 3, Giant Le Free (for my wife) and just recently bought the Priority Current(supposed to be for my daughter (but I really wanted it!). I’m 6’5”, 205lbs and in reasonably good shape. I live on a fairly steep hill in LA and here’s my 2 cents: The Verve is the the best BIKE without using power, the Giant LeFree is great for my wife because of the auto-power mode(she doesn’t have to mess around pushing things) and both get up the steep hill with ease. The engine in the Current seems weak to me..I need to put in 5 and very low gear to get up my hill(its supposed to have the most power/torque). The Envilio and gates belt are great but the engine seems too weak. Also, I bought the large frame and it feels like a medium. I called Priority and they said their bike should be more powerful than the Verve 3 or Giant. Huh? So, right now I’m on the fence about keeping the Current. Finally, in my humble opinion, the Giant for $2000 is the best all around.
Thanks for sharing. This is great feedback to know! It's a shame to hear about the motor. It is somewhat in line with what I heard from another user. It's definitely hard to believe those torque claims.

Also, companies will always try to defend their products. When I asked about motor power and some mixed feedback I had heard, they also told me: "We've had great feedback from customers on how the Current handles hills." I guess when they told you this, they were talking about specs on paper and not real world performance.

Let us know if you decide to keep it. If not, I'm curious to hear about your return experience and associated costs.

Other than that, how are your impressions on the overall construction of the bike, component quality, handling, etc? Are you able to sit upright (if you want to) while having good leg extension? Lastly, how much worse is it compared to the others?

Thanks for sharing. This is great feedback to know! It's a shame to hear about the motor. It is somewhat in line with what I heard from another user. It's definitely hard to believe those torque claims.

Also, companies will always try to defend their products. When I asked about motor power and some mixed feedback I had heard, they also told me: "We've had great feedback from customers on how the Current handles hills." I guess when they told you this, they were talking about specs on paper and not real world performance.

Let us know if you decide to keep it. If not, I'm curious to hear about your return experience and associated costs.

Other than that, how are your impressions on the overall construction of the bike, component quality, handling, etc? Are you able to sit upright (if you want to) while having good leg extension? Lastly, how much worse is it compared to the others?

The Current is a beautiful bike in my opinion. The components are top shelf and quiet. I enjoy the smooth Shifting Envillio compared to the other bikes. Like I said before the large frame seems more like a smaller medium frame. ( The Verve large frame geometry is much better for my 6’5” height). If I was shorter and biked on flatter surfaces this bike would be amazing.

The Current is a beautiful bike in my opinion. The components are top shelf and quiet. I enjoy the smooth Shifting Envillio compared to the other bikes. Like I said before the large frame seems more like a smaller medium frame. ( The Verve large frame geometry is much better for my 6’5” height). If I was shorter and biked on flatter surfaces this bike would be amazing.
The thing now is the Priority Current bike now has Shimano Inter-5E IGH, not Enviolo CVT 380. So you 2 are talking about different Priority Current bikes

Back