Giant fastroad E +1 pro 2020 electric bike - tyres, wheels

Kitchgiant

Region
United Kingdom
Evening folks, my first post and thanks in advance for any help and advice.

I am about to take delivery of the above bike and already wandering has anyone used this bike on gravel? I appreciate it is a road bike but I may do the odd canal side ride and wanted to know if I could maybe add some wider tyres or even considering buying a 2nd set of smaller 650b wheels with gravel tryes on ready to quickly just chop and change wheels depending on if I am riding road or gravel that particular day...is this possible and straight forward? Anyone else done this?
I am a novice to this so just looking for a simple way of changing my set up to a suitable gravel set up without to much messing around so was hoping if I did buy a 2nd set of smaller wheels with wider more comfortable tyre set on I could simply just use the quick release to take of the road wheels and slip the other set of gravel wheels on and away I go...is it as easy as that? And if so what is the cheapest sort of 2nd wheels set up i can get away with as its only for occasional use so don't want to ideally be spending to much.
Also is there any known issues for this particular Giant e bike model that I should be on the look out for etc.

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to being part of the community on here.

Last edited:
Find out what the tire clearance is. That's really the make or break factor here. Considering it comes with 32s you can probably fit 35s, which may suffice for light gravel. Can't say more without knowing the frame.

The 2020 Fastroad comes with 27.5 x2.4 tires, which is plenty wide for gravel. I bet its a great gravel machine. The Kenda Kwicks are probably just fine for dirt and light gravel, but you may want something knobbier on loose gravel (canal trails are usually packed cinder which 2.4 kwicks should handle perfectly fine).

My wife just got a Thrive (which is Livs version of the Fastroad) with the intent of riding mainly gravel.

The fast road 2020 comes with the Maxxis Re-Fuse 700x32c Folding Carbon Bead MaxxShield Tubeless Ready tyres, thanks for the comments and I will check the clearance one I get the bike which should hopefully be this week.

I would have thought that the frame and forks would be pretty much the same as the 2020 Revolt E+ Pro and that has 700x45c tyres. I have no trouble with 700x35c tyres on my Fastroad E+ 2 Pro and still have room for mudguards.

I didn't realize you were in GB; I see they have the same Fastroad we get in the US (which comes with 27.5 wheels and 2.4 tires) as well as a stripped down version (which comes with 700x32c tires). I have to imagine its the same frame, and probably really similar to the Revolt and RoadE. The Revolt comes with 45mm tires and has clearance for more, and I have seen 45mm tires mounted on a 2020 RoadE. I'd bet it will clear 45s just fine, but you'd need to check to be absolutely sure.

The fork looks skinnier on this ebike from the side view of the bike, so all bets are out the window for the front wheel based on the e+ ex pro.

Screenshot_20210223-075057_Google.jpg

Yes this is the bike, and it is very similar to the revolt as you point out jabberwocky, if I can get away with near 45cc that would be great

FWIW, someone posted a 2020 Road-E with 45s on it here:

FWIW, someone posted a 2020 Road-E with 45s on it here:
Thank you so much for this, great to see the bike can take 45s, and lovely to see both the bikes together.. really like the revolt to, I was torn between these 2 bikes and went for the fast road in hope of having wider tyres on it like the revolt ... and it seems I can..Great 👍

I changed the tyres from the original 32 to 40 perrelli cinturato gravel all my riding is done on the road and even though they are gravel tyres they give plenty of grip and make the ride smoother I found the original tyres a bit harsh on the backside.You could even go to a 45 but I think 40s are perfect

I changed the tyres from the original 32 to 40 perrelli cinturato gravel all my riding is done on the road and even though they are gravel tyres they give plenty of grip and make the ride smoother I found the original tyres a bit harsh on the backside.You could even go to a 45 but I think 40s are perfect
Becareful not to damage your rim I had to replace the front wheel of my fastroad e plus 2 2020 and was told by giant that they do not have any and the solution was I had to buy a rim online and they would build a new wheel using my old hub

We can then rebuild the new rim to the original hub. Our cost would be $65 for spokes and $150 for the wheel build, so your total cost would be around $300

If that works for you go ahead and purchase the Rim in the link i sent you, bring it in and we will build the wheel for you.

Back