Giant Explore E+ 2 Electric Bicycle 2018 Chain dropping

Qellerpen

This is a new ebike 2 months old. Used on holiday done over 500 trouble free miles.
The bike has recently started to drop the chain off the front chain ring. The problem is very intermittent. It seems to happen when I am slowing down or coming to a stop.

The only thing I can see that is happening is that the chainring seems to run on and if I accidentally touch the chainring as it is spinning that’s when it tends to happen.

The Explorer +2 as only one chain ring and no front derailleur. The Gears index absolutely fine.

Has anybody else experienced the same problem? Or can anybody suggest a solution? I am trying to find a chain catcher
that will fit on this model.

The chain only came off my giant once...about 35 km into ownership. It was replaced with a raceface chainring and has been faultless since. This was the 2x front on my full e pro, so a different model to yours but perhaps you should have a chat with the dealer ? Riding home after this happened was weird - the chainwheel was being pushed forward each time I stopped pedalling , and the brocken sprocket was pushing the cranks

Attachments

• 34A794A3-3957-4EC0-8D8F-F63C285ADFA3.jpeg
    34A794A3-3957-4EC0-8D8F-F63C285ADFA3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,360
Just curious, how do you touch a spinning chainring and not have something bad happen?

You could be having a problem with the freehub in the rear wheel. If the freehub is sticking, it will not freewheel and cause the front chainrings to continue to turn. Since the chain is not under load, it can derail from the chainring.

You could be having a problem with the freehub in the rear wheel. If the freehub is sticking, it will not freewheel and cause the front chainrings to continue to turn. Since the chain is not under load, it can derail from the chainring.
I agree though I have taken the back wheel off and checked the freehub it does spin freely. The annoying thing is I cant get the fault show when its not under load.

I agree though I have taken the back wheel off and checked the freehub it does spin freely. The annoying thing is I cant get the fault show when its not under load.

The impression I got when riding with the chainwheel hitting the crank is the motor continues to drive for 1/8 th of a turn after I stop pedalling. It's so brief that it's almost impossible to feel with the chainwheel being able to spin indipendant of the cranks, but it was definitely noticeable after bending the sprocket! I wonder if you're catching clothing during this 1/8 th turn???

Is it possible to put your bike on some rollers at the shop to see if you can duplicate the episodes? ( like the home exercise equipment). Alternatively, do you have a gopro you could leave recording the chainwheel as you ride?

When the chainring is carrying on turning it is not at a fast rate and only runs for a few seconds when I stop peddling.

It should be a lot less than a few seconds - I'd guess 1/8 th of a turn as described above ( but that's with the pwx " pro" motor ) - if you're getting a few seconds then that would be several turns???

Recently purchased 2021 Roam E+ which is very close to Explorer E+. I saw this thread prior to purchase but wasn't too concerned. Now this happened to me twice, within a week and half into the ownership. Both times I had to yank out the stuck chain with brute force which made a big mess on my hands and the brand new bike. Extremely disappointed and concerned now, as the local dealer is not responsive to my request for service.

I believe on both occasions the gear was at high speed setting like 8 or 9 and wasn't pedaling going over small bumps on the road. I've hit bigger bumps or ran on trails but on those instances the derailleur was at much lower speed setting. This simply means there's too much slack on the chain, isn't it?

I feel like there's a design flaw or missing necessary adjustments after it's built. I don't know much about bicycles but certainly not the type of experience I was expecting on a $2800 product. If I could take care of this by myself I would.

Back