Giant Explore E +1 advice on panniers

Jockess

Hi I bought an Explore E+1 and love it!

I live in the Highlands of Scotland and believe me that extra cog is well used in this hilly area .

I ordered a set of the double panniers off the giant web site but there doesn’t appear to be a bottom bracket on the pannier to attach the bungees to.
The MIK clicks in OK but they don’t attach at the sides which I think is a bit dangerous.
The bags I bought are listed here

Does anyone know a way round this ?
Do I need to change the pannier carrier or just put the bags I bought on EBay.😟 and try again and buy some more bags.

If so can someone recommend a good rear carrier that fits straight on the bike ? Don’t want anything too big.

Thanks
S
Also looking for a water bottle carrier that fits well as the battery seems to limit the bar as a good spot for it.🤔

Any help appreciated.

Not any definitive answer, but I’ve had the smaller ones for years, on three bikes now, currently a Giant. I like how they’re connected together, makes a lot of sense to me. Great to carry at the end of the day. I’ve never had any issue with them flopping around or swinging out, the weight of the bags even empty keeps everything under control. Obviously a solid connection is something you prefer, but I did a tour all the way across the Erie Canal several hundred miles and all was well (except for that whole broken spoke thing, but that wasn’t the bags’ fault).

I like those bigger ones, thinking about buying them as well.

Not any definitive answer, but I’ve had the smaller ones for years, on three bikes now, currently a Giant. I like how they’re connected together, makes a lot of sense to me. Great to carry at the end of the day. I’ve never had any issue with them flopping around or swinging out, the weight of the bags even empty keeps everything under control. Obviously a solid connection is something you prefer, but I did a tour all the way across the Erie Canal several hundred miles and all was well (except for that whole broken spoke thing, but that wasn’t the bags’ fault).

I like those bigger ones, thinking about buying them as well.
Thanks for the reply , it’s the smaller ones I have, I tried putting the spring attachment on the frame but it just slid up the frame . I was worried it would then come loose and catch on the wheel if I’m not careful or catch them with my foot.
My dealer is looking into it as he was puzzled too , if I get a solution I’ll post back here.

Hi I bought an Explore E+1 and love it!

I live in the Highlands of Scotland and believe me that extra cog is well used in this hilly area .

I ordered a set of the double panniers off the giant web site but there doesn’t appear to be a bottom bracket on the pannier to attach the bungees to.
The MIK clicks in OK but they don’t attach at the sides which I think is a bit dangerous.
The bags I bought are listed here

Does anyone know a way round this ?
Do I need to change the pannier carrier or just put the bags I bought on EBay.😟 and try again and buy some more bags.

If so can someone recommend a good rear carrier that fits straight on the bike ? Don’t want anything too big.

Thanks
S
Also looking for a water bottle carrier that fits well as the battery seems to limit the bar as a good spot for it.🤔

Any help appreciated.
I haven’t seen those bags in person but from the photos it looks like the hook (on a bungee?) attaches to the bottom of the rack.

I also have an Explore E+1 GTS, and I am VERY happy with my Ortleib panniers. I’ve been using Ortleib bags on motorcycles for years and they are just about bullet proof and they don’t leak. They attach to the rack very solidly and can be removed in a second. These are the ones I have: Ortleib

My dealer installed a Giant water bottle holder on the seat tube for me. Looks pretty good and it works.

I haven’t seen those bags in person but from the photos it looks like the hook (on a bungee?) attaches to the bottom of the rack.

I also have an Explore E+1 GTS, and I am VERY happy with my Ortleib panniers. I’ve been using Ortleib bags on motorcycles for years and they are just about bullet proof and they don’t leak. They attach to the rack very solidly and can be removed in a second. These are the ones I have: Ortleib

My dealer installed a Giant water bottle holder on the seat tube for me. Looks pretty good and it works.
Thanks , yes the bungee should attach to a horizontal bar on the MIK rack, sadly the rack on the Explore does have that short horizontal bar . I’ve been looking at the Ortleib , it's good to know they don’t leak.
I’ll see if I can get a bottle holder whilst I’m at the dealer tomorrow.

Thanks , yes the bungee should attach to a horizontal bar on the MIK rack, sadly the rack on the Explore does have that short horizontal bar . I’ve been looking at the Ortleib , it's good to know they don’t leak.
I’ll see if I can get a bottle holder whilst I’m at the dealer tomorrow.
Just curious... what frame size do you have? I’m guessing small like mine, which is why you don’t have the water bottle braze-ons.

If you look at my thread New Explore! you will see a couple of photos that show the water bottle holder on the seat tube.

Btw, I took a good look at my bike just now and I just don’t see where such a hook would attach. Kind of strange of Giant.

Just curious... what frame size do you have? I’m guessing small like mine, which is why you don’t have the water bottle braze-ons.

If you look at my thread New Explore! you will see a couple of photos that show the water bottle holder on the seat tube.

Btw, I took a good look at my bike just now and I just don’t see where such a hook would attach. Kind of strange of Giant.
Hi that’s a very interesting thread .
I have a men’s Medium , initially the dealer sent me off on a ladies LIV for a test, but for a girl I have long legs and it was too cramped, so I then tried the men’s medium that fits fine although the stand over height is just OK.
Looking at my bike I have two braze-on screw holes on the seat tube where your bottle is, I hadn’t noticed them before. So I should be able to get a bottle holder tomorrow.
Your bags look good and I see the Ortleib has a sliding mechanism to attach the sides of the bags to the bike. Do these attach ok?

Hi that’s a very interesting thread .
I have a men’s Medium , initially the dealer sent me off on a ladies LIV for a test, but for a girl I have long legs and it was too cramped, so I then tried the men’s medium that fits fine although the stand over height is just OK.
Looking at my bike I have two braze-on screw holes on the seat tube where your bottle is, I hadn’t noticed them before. So I should be able to get a bottle holder tomorrow.
Your bags look good and I see the Ortleib has a sliding mechanism to attach the sides of the bags to the bike. Do these attach ok?
I must be slow on the uptake... I hadn’t realized you were a girl. 😄 I’d test ridden a men’s medium for a day and did my full commute (70+km round trip) on it. While riding I found the bike perfect but the stand over height scared me. Much too high, especially with sudden stops needed in city traffic and uneven roads. So I searched out the very last bike with small frame in all of Canada and had it shipped to me cross Canada. Then I found that besides the lower stand over, everything was smaller and much too cramped for me. I’ve been trying to get it right since then and I think it’s pretty good now.

Yes, those braze ons on the seat tube are for a bottle holder. You’re lucky! You can pick just about any holder you want... it’s pretty standard.

Are your lights working well? Mine weren’t and I just modified how the connections are made on the rear fender to improve that.

Enjoy the bike!

@Jockess - Sorry I forgot to answer your question about the bags.

I have years of experience using Ortleib bags on my motorcycles and a couple of months ago when I started commuting longer distances and no longer wanted to use a backpack, I wanted to get the Ortleib panniers. I bought them and then visited a Giant dealer to make sure they’d fit the Giant MIK rack. They did, so I kept them. (Even then I was pretty sure I’d end up with a Giant bike soon.).

The panniers fit perfectly on my clunker commuting bike with old Blackburn rack and they fit on the Giant. There is an adjustable “finger” that sort of fits behind one of the rack support arms and it holds securely. That finger can be rotated and also moved forward or back to get the best fit. It was easy to adjust it well.

And the bags clip onto the top of the rack and don’t pop off... you have to pull up on the carrying strap to release the catch.

@Jockess - Sorry I forgot to answer your question about the bags.

I have years of experience using Ortleib bags on my motorcycles and a couple of months ago when I started commuting longer distances and no longer wanted to use a backpack, I wanted to get the Ortleib panniers. I bought them and then visited a Giant dealer to make sure they’d fit the Giant MIK rack. They did, so I kept them. (Even then I was pretty sure I’d end up with a Giant bike soon.).

The panniers fit perfectly on my clunker commuting bike with old Blackburn rack and they fit on the Giant. There is an adjustable “finger” that sort of fits behind one of the rack support arms and it holds securely. That finger can be rotated and also moved forward or back to get the best fit. It was easy to adjust it well.

And the bags clip onto the top of the rack and don’t pop off... you have to pull up on the carrying strap to release the catch.
Thanks for the advice on the bags , I’ll investigate those further.
Yes stand over height is cutting it fine on mine , I have huge long arms so the small was no good for me . They’ve added a ladies saddle for me but I need to get the saddle stem on that shortened a bit, it’s inserted right down so won’t go lower but the dealer said they can shorten the stem if it if needs be.

My other bike is an old Raleigh 10 speed men’s touring drop handlebar. (best bike ever) , but I moved to a pretty mountainous region and wasn’t getting very far very fast, so the Explore was my first venture into EBikes, I’m using my Cateye lights off the Raleigh as an addition at the moment, it’s pitch black here at night.

My lights on the Explore are pretty dim so I’m going to have to invest in another brighter one on the handlebars . The ones on the bike are ok ish, but I prefer to see a bit further at night. I’m Looking at the Cateye lights again pretty good and attach really well.

Thanks for the advice on the bags , I’ll investigate those further.
Yes stand over height is cutting it fine on mine , I have huge long arms so the small was no good for me . They’ve added a ladies saddle for me but I need to get the saddle stem on that shortened a bit, it’s inserted right down so won’t go lower but the dealer said they can shorten the stem if it if needs be.

My other bike is an old Raleigh 10 speed men’s touring drop handlebar. (best bike ever) , but I moved to a pretty mountainous region and wasn’t getting very far very fast, so the Explore was my first venture into EBikes, I’m using my Cateye lights off the Raleigh as an addition at the moment, it’s pitch black here at night.

My lights on the Explore are pretty dim so I’m going to have to invest in another brighter one on the handlebars . The ones on the bike are ok ish, but I prefer to see a bit further at night. I’m Looking at the Cateye lights again pretty good and attach really well.
The way the seat post is shortened is by cutting a bit off. And it’s because of those braze-ons that the post doesn’t go down further. I saw that on the medium I’d tried for a day and then was surprised that the small didn’t even have them.

I too have added extra lights. I don’t need them during the day because I’m pretty visible but especially in fall and spring I end up commuting in the dark. I have a couple of different (rechargeable via USB) headlights and a really good flashing taillight. As it gets darker I’ll be testing those light to see which is better and if they’re good enough. My problem is that part of my route (about 5km) goes through a heavily wooded nature park with no lighting so I’ll need a good headlight then. On the city streets I. Not that worried and the stock light is probably all I need.

I’m too lazy to get up and look at the stock lights but they are the bottom of the brand lineup. 30’s I remember as the model. There are 50’s and even higher that could be plug in replaceable. I might see if I can get one of the higher models, especially now that I have a second charger I leave at the office. I’m no longer worried about having enough power for my return commute. And a stronger headlight is unlikely to make much impact on battery drain anyway.

I didn’t realize Cateye made lights... the name always makes me think of bike computers because I have a few of them.

The way the seat post is shortened is by cutting a bit off. And it’s because of those braze-ons that the post doesn’t go down further. I saw that on the medium I’d tried for a day and then was surprised that the small didn’t even have them.

I too have added extra lights. I don’t need them during the day because I’m pretty visible but especially in fall and spring I end up commuting in the dark. I have a couple of different (rechargeable via USB) headlights and a really good flashing taillight. As it gets darker I’ll be testing those light to see which is better and if they’re good enough. My problem is that part of my route (about 5km) goes through a heavily wooded nature park with no lighting so I’ll need a good headlight then. On the city streets I. Not that worried and the stock light is probably all I need.

I’m too lazy to get up and look at the stock lights but they are the bottom of the brand lineup. 30’s I remember as the model. There are 50’s and even higher that could be plug in replaceable. I might see if I can get one of the higher models, especially now that I have a second charger I leave at the office. I’m no longer worried about having enough power for my return commute. And a stronger headlight is unlikely to make much impact on battery drain anyway.

I didn’t realize Cateye made lights... the name always makes me think of bike computers because I have a few of them.
Cateye lights , trade off between lightning and charge time , but some awesome brightness . Found them reliable too.

Went to dealer today, the pannier bungee is supposed to attach to the bent arm just below the crease angle in the frame and he said “trust me , that will work fine”.
Here’s hoping he’s right , so far it hasn’t slid up the tube on the way home.

Went to dealer today, the pannier bungee is supposed to attach to the bent arm just below the crease angle in the frame and he said “trust me , that will work fine”.
Here’s hoping he’s right , so far it hasn’t slid up the tube on the way home.
Not quite following... are you talking about the bike frame or the support arm for the rack? But great to hear that it seems to be working.

Back