Giant EXPLORE E+ 1 2020

JustinF

Region
Australia
Hi has anyone installed a VOLspeed in to the Giant EXPLORE E+ 1 2020 .

I think version 3 is the one I need. Iw wanted to check if any one had experience doing this and could give me some tips I am very nervous to do this on my own.

I also want to know if the installation would require me to remove the cranks or if I could get around having to do that and spend money on costly tools.

Thank you for your time.

hi, got this link from www.volspeed.de, frame 2021 video:

If you consciously tackle that this is going to take some time, then you will be calmer. There is no time for nervousness with this installation, especially when closing. For closing I recommend that you turn bike upside down, you will have more insight into wiring and gravity will help also.
Watch attached video and my steps in peace, you will encounter the same solutions not problems :)

Thank you for the help and info on the other posts you have done ! Was about 3 hours of work , but I was prepared and had every thing thanks to the people in this forum .

I managed to get the VOLspeed 3 installed , it seems to work ( I can do the set up and then change to speed mode) .

How ever the chip does not seem to have any effect , I have the RideControl Evo on my bike . So I can see when the motor is assisting me and feel it and it seems to still just stop at 25 .

What I have done
1) Install VoLspeed 3 as per instructions , it should be all wired up correctly or the bike would not function at all I assume ?
2) Turn on the Ebike and do the down,down,up,up,down,down key press to do the setup.
3) I then set the speed of the bike to 45
4) I then let the display go to 0.0

5) I then enter Speed mode using down,up,down,up
6) I set the speed to 65 , I have set it to other values
7) I then go for a ride .

8) What I see and feel is motor helps all the way till 25 ish and then stops , it acts exactly how my bike worked before .

Any ideas what could be wrong , would be greatly appreciated !

I have included a picture of the manual

IMG_1653.JPG

IMG_1654.JPG

I'll be watching this as i'm wanting to go thru the de restricting process as well on the same model bike.

where did you buy your module from? price?

V3 activates by depressing the Down arrow for 3 seconds I think. Down Up Down Up is for V2.

This is what it looks like installed , I will do a detailed post on my steps and experience for this bike soon.

I could not get the VOLspeed in their but this seems to be ok all wires and connections are in their origional location and the VOLspeed seems like a sealed unit.

Attachments

• 85A5A3FE-7BB0-4FFF-9EBB-2CF1E6A1DB23.jpeg
    85A5A3FE-7BB0-4FFF-9EBB-2CF1E6A1DB23.jpeg
    495.3 KB · Views: 370
Hopefully soon :D

The above picture is a great start, it don't look too bad in there...... was it?

I just ordered mine, should be here later in the week from Cairns.
No it seems like it would be fine in there .

Just note you will need a crank puller no way to get around it . You need to take the left crank off , then use a 36 socket to take the nut off .
You can then remove the 2 front chain rings and get access to the screws that hold the cover on .

If you watch the video about it explains it well .

Just note you will need a crank puller no way to get around it .
He doesn't need the crank puller. Ne needs a Cyclus Tools lockring tool for Yamaha and Giant ebikes. All Giant ebikes I could see had self extracting cranks for 8 mm Allen key.

just went and had a look, just a std socket for the Sport motor on the 2020 Explore E+1 over here.
square shaft in crank, not self extracting.

Attachments

• 20210221_230835 (Copy).jpg
    20210221_230835 (Copy).jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 302
Back