Giant Explore chain ring

marble

Region
USA
New to posting here, but here goes. I've got a 2019 Giant Explore in need of drive train work. No trouble finding a cassette & chain, but finding a compatible steel crank ring is problematic. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @marble,
The only compatibility of the chainring you need is:
  • Proper Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD). I am almost ready to bet it is 104 mm BCD in your Explore+
  • Number of teeth (it will be 42T in your case I think)
  • Number of bolt holes (I am almost sure it is 4 holes for your Explore+)
1675887819345.png

The definition of BCD.

You do not necessarily need a steel chainring. Modern chainrings (except some for MTB) are typically aluminium alloy, and they last far longer than the cassette cogs (as the strain of the chain on the chainring spreads over big number of teeth).

Now, you wrote somewhere that the replacement chainrings seemed too fancy. It is all good. Modern chainrings come with special tooth arrangement such as Narrow-Wide or WAVE. The tooth arrangement is meant for your chain not to drop from the ring.

Unfortunately, Giant wrote nothing about your specific chainring. I looked at a stock photo of a 2019. Is the plastic chainguard bolted directly to the chainring? If you look carefully at the back of the chainring, can you see the bolt nuts? If not, your chainring might be a 104 BCD, 4 bolt, 42T chainring from Praxis. (Praxis is using threaded chainring bolts for convenience; all other use MTB bolts with nuts).

If you look for a good chainring of the parameters matching your old one, look to offerings from Praxis or perhaps Garbaruk.

P.S. Why not just ask your Giant LBS? The trouble with any replacement chainring is it might not accommodate your existing chainguard. FWIW, I do not use the chainguard after having replaced the chainring to another make.

Thanks for the speedy reply Stefan. It's 104bdc, 42 tooth, no narrow wide tooth arrangement . I see your point about the chain ring teeth wearing at a lesser rate than cassette cogs. Maybe i should just get a 9 speed compatible wide/narrow tooth single aluminum alloy ring. About the same $ and more available. Thanks for your time & help
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG

Then Bob's your uncle :)
A standard chainring, standard bolts, no special threaded holes for the chainguard.

Can you buy Garbaruk in the United States? I'm a great fan of their chainrings, which are lightweight, durable, and have exceptionally long teeth to keep the chain better. Note: This chainring comes in many tooth number sizes. I'm using a 104 BCD, 42T on my Vado. Note: That chainring is for all speeds from 9 to 12.

They even offer new bolts so you do not need to worry.

Thanks for the speedy reply Stefan. It's 104bdc, 42 tooth, no narrow wide tooth arrangement . I see your point about the chain ring teeth wearing at a lesser rate than cassette cogs. Maybe i should just get a 9 speed compatible wide/narrow tooth single aluminum alloy ring. About the same $ and more available. Thanks for your time & help
View attachment 146691View attachment 146692
I think you can reverse that ring to use it awhile longer while you look for a replacement. I have done it with Bosch rings.

Thanks Steve, good idea for a spare backup ring. The steel ring is 2mm thick, so I'd better get longer bolts for the thicker "Chinesium" alloy one, probably add 2mm.

Back