Giant e bike app- any experience with it?

PDoz

G'day, I'm getting to know my 2018 full e+1 pro and wondering if anyone has any experience ( or even a link to dowload) the app that giant advertises

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I'm particularly interested in options for fine tuning the power delivery, and wondering if it has the ability to taper the drop in power more progressively - Australian bikes are limitted to 25 kph , and whilst I'm fine with this I'd prefer to have power drop off slowly from eg 20 kph rather than suddenly dissapearing at 25-26 k like it currently does!

Must not be ready for release yet - I looked again and now the link is dead and no info about it that I can find on the Giant site. Too bad since it looked interesting.

I contacted Giant Canada, and even offered to beta test as I do quite a bit of that at work.
The only reply was "Stay tuned for release".
I'm totally guessing at October.

Just offered to beta test again this morning, and asked when release might be.

At least for 2019 the advertising / media releases indicate the app is " in development" rather than giving the impression it's up and running. Hopefully if / when it does become available it will still work with our 2018 bikes.

On another note, reflecting on my early impression that my pwx cuts out quickly at the 25-26 km point - I rode a 2018 bosch powered trek (7) on tuesday - it was like hitting a brick wall at 24.9 km! In comparisons , my giant actually does taper down the power delivery as I go past the cut off point - I can sit at around 26-27 k and feel the power coming on / off during each pedal stroke, and the amount of assistance varies depending on how much I slow down between each stroke. The difference between the two bikes whilst riding up hill was dramatic - the giant would litteraly power away from the trek in the 25-27 k range, but more importantly my knees complained as I hit that speed barrier on the trek.

In the treks favour, the geometry / motor combination was MUCH better at climbing steep technical trails than my full e+1 pro. On tight uphill switchbacks my giant would be struggling to keep the front wheel down ( even in the second lowest assist mode) , but the trek would just keep driving. I'm not certain how much of this was the instant power delivery on the giant , or how much is the 40 cm shorter wheelbase / 20 cm shorted chainstay , but I'm looking forward to any opportunity to detune the giant motor if / when this app becomes available.

I am hoping that my Quick E+ 2019 gets the app. My wifes Scott/Bosch on flat terrain pulls past me whereas on hills the quickE seems quite good but with the dramatic falloff in assistance.

I tried it out today. Bluetooth problems—says I need service once the bluetooth is dropped. Perhaps my bike needs a firmware update.

Looks like Ridelink app came out... I'm going to see how it works........

UPDATE:

It connected and I updated my firmware on my Quick E+ 2019. I can even tune my ride settings for the amount of assistance if I wish. After updating, restart your EVO as it gives an error. You can even scan for problems - if it really looks for problems. Only metric at this point.

Last edited:
Just got it a couple of hours ago myself!
Love the exact battery percentage display.
Haven't updated the firmware on my bike yet though.
Looks like it has maps as well.
Too bad it's raining hard. I'll give it a try if the rain stops.

Looks like Ridelink app came out... I'm going to see how it works........

UPDATE:

It connected and I updated my firmware on my Quick E+ 2019. I can even tune my ride settings for the amount of assistance if I wish. After updating, restart your EVO as it gives an error. You can even scan for problems - if it really looks for problems. Only metric at this point.

Do you have a directlink to the app you are using?

Scrap that, I found it hidden in the giant website. Connected ok but it crashed trying to update the firmware - I'll try again tonight.

I love that I should be able to vary support levels in each mode - FINALY!!

Last edited:
Back