Garmin VO2Max & Training Status from Torque Sensor?

B3ak3r

Region
USA
For running, I use a Garmin watch that calculates VO2Max and Training Status. For analog biking, Garmin can calculate both parameters with a HR monitor and power meter.

Are there any ebikes where Garmin can read the human power from the ebike’s torque sensor (i.e. without power meter pedals or cranks) and then a Garmin device or app would calculate VO2Max and training status? If so, what bikes can do that and what exactly would I need?

I already have a Garmin Forerunner 645 Music, an HR monitor, and the Connect app. Would I need to get an Edge unit or a different watch? If so, which one? From what I can tell, at least some Specialized bikes output user power. But I couldn’t tell if Garmin could use that data to automatically calculate VO2Max and Training Status.

For running, I use a Garmin watch that calculates VO2Max and Training Status. For analog biking, Garmin can calculate both parameters with a HR monitor and power meter.

Are there any ebikes where Garmin can read the human power from the ebike’s torque sensor (i.e. without power meter pedals or cranks) and then a Garmin device or app would calculate VO2Max and training status? If so, what bikes can do that and what exactly would I need?

I already have a Garmin Forerunner 645 Music, an HR monitor, and the Connect app. Would I need to get an Edge unit or a different watch? If so, which one? From what I can tell, at least some Specialized bikes output user power. But I couldn’t tell if Garmin could use that data to automatically calculate VO2Max and Training Status.
not sure but Garmin can use the power meter on the specialized so that should do it. I wish Bosch would let Garmin and such use its data.

I can't answer your question on which bike system can offer the ability to sync all the stats to Connect. I'm interested in knowing though. I use the Garmin Venu and it provides me with most of the health and fitness stats I want. At times I wish I had cadence and power. I know I can add that to the bike, but it would be nice if a bike incorporated all of it and synced to Connect.

I'm a curious hitchhiker on the thread to see any answers.

I can't answer your question on which bike system can offer the ability to sync all the stats to Connect. I'm interested in knowing though. I use the Garmin Venu and it provides me with most of the health and fitness stats I want. At times I wish I had cadence and power. I know I can add that to the bike, but it would be nice if a bike incorporated all of it and synced to Connect.

I'm a curious hitchhiker on the thread to see any answers.
cadence just needs a wireless sensor of any brand you want.

not sure but Garmin can use the power meter on the specialized so that should do it. I wish Bosch would let Garmin and such use its data.
Thanks, @fooferdoggie. I looked into Specialized, and the manual for the Vado 3.0/4.0 states:

ANT+ can be used to connect to the sensors for Speed, Rider Power, and Cadence. The
sensor data can be received via the ANT+ module built into the TCD_W 2.
In your ANT+ device, search for those sensors and connect to them.

I'm assuming that "Rider Power" would be interpreted as a power meter by the Garmin device (which can connect with ANT+). Is that how it works?

Also, on the Garmin watch side, it looks like only certain watches are "power meter compatible." Mine is not so I would have to upgrade.

I'm assuming that "Rider Power" would be interpreted as a power meter by the Garmin device (which can connect with ANT+). Is that how it works?

Also, on the Garmin watch side, it looks like only certain watches are "power meter compatible." Mine is not so I would have to upgrade.
yes you got it.yes there are so many garmin watches you have to find the one that gets the info you want. I wihs I did not need my apple watch or I would use a garmin watch. I found it better for keeping track of your activities. though it never seems to auto detect cycling like it was supposed to.

Back