Garmin GPS STEM MOUNT

Silvercat

Hi,
Stopped at a bike shop earlier and the owner was about to give me a good deal on a stem mount for a Garmin edge gps. However, the centre bolt (stem) on my Moscow Plus has too high a ‘head’ to ‘seat’ properly in the mount base. It sits too high, thereby not allowing Garmin gps to attach. That bike store owner and 2 other bike mechanics thought about trying to file down the head of my stem bolt, so that it would sit flush in the Garmin mount. Turns out it would likely not result in a sufficiently secure mount. I continue to use a forward facing mount but the bottom 2 buttons on the Garmin edge 530 gps are not accessible (too close to the C7 display).

Perhaps I can find a bolt with the proper head that will sit in the recessed Garmin mount area. That small Edge 530 gps would be in a perfect position, attached to a mount on the top of the stem ( top of the edge 530 gps would fit right up to the C7 display).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks and stay safe!

Waiting for my 530 to arrive tomorrow, so not familiar with the issue yet, but what about the Garmin Edge Remote? Would that solve the button access problem?
Also, Amazon has quite a few different mounts to try.

Waiting for my 530 to arrive tomorrow, so not familiar with the issue yet, but what about the Garmin Edge Remote? Would that solve the button access problem?
Also, Amazon has quite a few different mounts to try.
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestions. I talked to a Garmin support staff who was not too impressed with that remote. Also, $73.00 from Garmin seems too expensive. $83.00 on Amazon.ca.
I have programmed my 530 to automatically start recording a ride once I hit 6mph. Hence, no need to use the bottom right button. When I finish my ride/route, I then need to hit that bottom right button to stop recording my route. Seems like a good way to make custom routes.
Ad, yes, there are many different mounts available. But, with a ‘crowded’ handle bar, the perfect location would be on top of the stem...where I have seen mountain bikers install it. If only the stock stem bolt had a smaller head!!
Thanks again

I'm not sure if this could be used to make a mount for your 530. In my case, I removed a spacer from my stem and had enough clearance to add this product:

With a simple homemade aluminum adapter, I use it to hold a variety of gadgets including a water bottle, cell phone, 2-way radio, GPS, etc. It fits on a stem or handlebar, wherever there is clearance.

Slightly off topic, but do you notice a disparity between speed displayed on your Edge 530 & that from your bike?

I am consistently 2kph faster on Kiox bike display compared to Garmin as per:

Slightly off topic, but do you notice a disparity between speed displayed on your Edge 530 & that from your bike?

I am consistently 2kph faster on Kiox bike display compared to Garmin as per:

Hi,
Sorry, but I have not connected a sensor to measure speed on my 530 Garmin gps. I am curious about that too. I imagine I will need to attach a sensor?
Then, I will know if my C7 display on my ncm Moscow Plus is accurate.
Great question.

Hi,
Sorry, but I have not connected a sensor to measure speed on my 530 Garmin gps. I am curious about that too. I imagine I will need to attach a sensor?
Then, I will know if my C7 display on my ncm Moscow Plus is accurate.
Great question.
I’m not using a speed sensor, just comparing GPS recorded speed on Edge with eBike reported speed ....

There will always be some disparity between speed and distance measured with a GPS vs that of a bike display. A GPS measures distance (used to calculate speed) between satellite acquisition points as you travel. These points are never in a straight line and do not exactly match your line of travel. This error is magnified in areas with poor GPS reception caused by weather, buildings, valleys or heavy tree cover. The bike display is often adjustable for tire circumference to increase accuracy. The GPS is not.

This is the best way to get accurate speed & distance readings on your bike display. Accurately measure a straight line distance between two points like trees or utility poles. Ride between these two points and adjust the display to match. The greater the distance between the two points, the more accurate the results will be. It's important to ride a straight line since your path around a curve can vary.

Back