Garmin Edge 1030 + macOS Sonoma

Aushiker

Region
Australia
City
Walyalup, Western Australia
Hi

This is one for macOS users who have Garmin Edge GPS. My Mac is recognising the device is connected (shows in Finder), but when I go into the Garmin folder, it appears empty and will not let me create a folder, such as a NewFiles folder. The Garmin folder is being built into the unit; this model has no card option.

I have turned on showing invisible files in the macOS, and that has not made any difference.

However, when I view the same folder in my Windows PC, it shows files in the folder that it is all functioning okay.

Has anyone experienced this and have any thoughts on how to fix it if possible? My Google search has not been fruitful.

Well, I'm not a Garmin user but know the bike GPS computers are not to be accessed by a computer. If I connect my Wahoo ELEMNT computer to a PC, then I can probably see as much (or, rather as little) as you can see on your Garmin Edge connected to a Mac. You are expected to use the Connect IQ, and I am expected to use the Wahoo Companion App :)

Yes, I hear you. You can see some files when connecting your Edge to a Windows PC. It has no practical meaning though.

For clarity, the Garmin is meant to show up as a drive [it does that] and hence be readable as a drive [it does that with the exception of the Garmin folder ... that same folder is readable on the PC]. See https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=rzvP53Si4O3barYoXzw5L7 which illustrates the Edge being used as a 'drive.'

As I am transferring over a GPX Track and TCX file for each day's riding, the manual approach is preferred. BTW the point of doing this is that POI that I have marked will now show on the Edge.

As I am transferring over a GPX Track and TCX file for each day's riding, the manual approach is preferred. BTW the point of doing this is that POI that I have marked will now show on the Edge.
My brother who is a Garmin user has his RideWithGPS and Komoot accounts associated with his Edge. Therefore, he has the routes created in either RWGPS or Komoot available in the respective apps on his smartphone, and available in Garmin Connect IQ. He, for instance, can send a route from RWGPS to Edge right from the app. No need to transfer the GPX files from the computer.

Are you telling me doing so will not send the POIs to the Garmin unit?

My brother who is a Garmin user has his RideWithGPS and Komoot accounts associated with his Edge. Therefore, he has the routes created in either RWGPS or Komoot available in the respective apps on his smartphone, and available in Garmin Connect IQ. He, for instance, can send a route from RWGPS to Edge right from the app. No need to transfer the GPX files from the computer.

Are you telling me doing so will not send the POIs to the Garmin unit?

I create the routes in RWGPS with added POI (ones created by myself - see here for an example). As far as I can tell, you cannot add POIs in Komoot. I have tried exporting the routes from RWGPS via Garmin Connect, but the POIs do not show on the Edge. The same applies if the route is exported to Komoot. It seems to only work with a manual export.

As I also want the cue sheet included, I have to export both a GPX file and a TCX course file.

Following the method described by RWGPS does work:

Export POI to a Garmin Device

• Choose the GPX track file format.
  • Check off Include POI as waypoints.
  • If you also want to export your RWGPS cuesheet, be sure to also export as a TCX Course file. Once you've manually added both files to your Garmin device, you'll see the added POI as waypoints while navigating the TCX route file on your Garmin.

Last edited:
FIXED: I deleted the folder, rebooted the Garmin Edge 1030 and the folder is back with all its content showing.
I faced the same problem recently, and rebooting helped me, too.
But now I see that such an issue is not a new one because a friend of mine had the same problem, and now I have found this thread.
I think that it's maybe the only problem I've faced while using a Mac, and it's a good sign. Usually, when I need help with something, I look for the info online. And when I was trying to find something, I came across this article, which provided me with a lot of info about different versions of MacOS. It was interesting to read because such info was pretty new to me, and you can see how each version is different. I think that I'll never switch from a Mac because it's the best laptop for me.

Last edited:
Back