Gain D30 - intermittent power drop out

Andy Jamieson

Hi all, I bought a Gain D30 in Sept.19, absolutely revolutionised my cycling, bringing a commute from home to work into range (17.5 hilly miles each way). However, I've had problems with the power dropping out occasionally and the bike having been back to the shop twice has now been replaced with a 2020 model, which is great, only it did the same thing to me on my 4th ride on the new bike... :-( has anyone else experienced this sort of problem? Basically once the battery drops below 60% and I'm working hard up a hill - usually when I'm standing up the power goes from 80% (or whatever) straight to zero but only for a brief moment, like one turn of the pedals, then straight back up. It feels like instead of the person gently pushing you up the hill (like normally) they're being annoying and tugging you backwards. Some rides its happened only 2 or 3 times, sometimes 20+ times, sometimes never. The 'old' bike is to be returned to the shop, but now the new one has now done this once. Any thoughts gratefully rec'd. Oh and to add insult to injury 4 out of 5 rides I've got the error warning, code 2 "Throttle damaged or outside of operation specification". This happens when I'm not using any assist, doing 22/23mph and flashes 2/3 times and then goes away, not linked to the power drop out. Thanks Andy

Maybe your cadence is uneven, and you actually stop pedaling when you are standing for a small part of the pedal stroke, and that's what's causing the problem. If it doesn't happen when you are seated pedaling, than I believe that's the issue.

Maybe your cadence is uneven, and you actually stop pedaling when you are standing for a small part of the pedal stroke, and that's what's causing the problem. If it doesn't happen when you are seated pedaling, than I believe that's the issue.
Mike, that’s a good thought, and one I had t considered. The new Gain I have has only down it once on me - I will keep a lookout and as you suggest try and keep my cadence even.
I’m still getting the Error message (unrelated) above. Happened on 6 rides out of 8, but no associated issues as yet.
Thanks Andy

Back