FYI Lunacycle is having July 4th sale

flymeaway

Email from luna about their sale. 48V 750W BBS02 complete kit for $499.00. That's a very good price if you are thinking of doing a build.

Court J.

Email from luna about their sale. 48V 750W BBS02 complete kit for $499.00. That's a very good price if you are thinking of doing a build.

Court J.

The newer version HD makes this allegedly unreliable motor a "clearance item".

The newer version HD makes this allegedly unreliable motor a "clearance item".
The BBS02 is pretty reliable now they've sorted the controller issues - many people run them for 1000's of trouble free miles.

allegedly unreliable motor a "clearance item".

If it's a clearance item, it's an incredible price for a very capable system. Can't comment on the issues people have had with the hardware because I have 4 BBS-02 and haven't had any problems at all. But I can suggest that reading these forums and the many (varied) complaints people have about a substantial number of bikes (some very expensive models) and one might conclude that ebikes are unreliable. Having said that, I would put forth that the reliability of the system is linked to the bike configuration and the way the system is used by the rider. For instance, "blowing" the controller with the upgraded number and quality of FET's seems almost inconceivable. Of course you can run the system at full power and "lug" it up grades with the bike in a high gear with the motor struggling, not pedaling, with the throttle pegged. That puts maximum stress on the controller and the drive train in the motor. On the other hand if you realize that the motor works best when the rider is pedaling, or in throttle only, when the gear selection matches the terrain and the rider doesn't allow the motor to bog down and strain at a slow speed and maximum power, the BBS-02 should last a long time and be a great performer. I use the tried and true method of determining how I'm treating my motor; after climbing substantial grades or pushing the bike at maximum or near maximum output I put my hand on the controller housing, and if I can leave it there and feel that the housing is only a bit warm I'm satisfied I have not abuse the motor. If I can barely keep my hand on the housing or it is quite hot, consider the probability that I have pushed the motor to or beyond a realistic limit.

Court J.

Last edited:
You make excellent points Court J. I'm sure you're right that a lot of the problems with the 02's nylon gearing and the controller are due to user error.

I believe that you're also correct that many name-brand e-bikes have reliability issues of one sort or another as well, some with numerous issues!

Still, the jury may still be out a little bit, but it looks like the new HD system will prove to be better built.

If it's a clearance item, it's an incredible price for a very capable system. Can't comment on the issues people have had with the hardware because I have 4 BBS-02 and haven't had any problems at all. But I can suggest that reading these forums and the many (varied) complaints people have about a substantial number of bikes (some very expensive models) and one might conclude that ebikes are unreliable. Having said that, I would put forth that the reliability of the system is linked to the bike configuration and the way the system is used by the rider. For instance, "blowing" the controller with the upgraded number and quality of FET's seems almost inconceivable. Of course you can run the system at full power and "lug" it up grades with the bike in a high gear with the motor struggling, not pedaling, with the throttle pegged. That puts maximum stress on the controller and the drive train in the motor. On the other hand if you realize that the motor works best when the rider is pedaling, or in throttle only, when the gear selection matches the terrain and the rider doesn't allow the motor to bog down and strain at a slow speed and maximum power, the BBS-02 should last a long time and be a great performer. I use the tried and true method of determining how I'm treating my motor; after climbing substantial grades or pushing the bike at maximum or near maximum output I put my hand on the controller housing, and if I can leave it there and feel that the housing is only a bit warm I'm satisfied I have not abuse the motor. If I can barely keep my hand on the housing or it is quite hot, consider the probability that I have pushed the motor to or beyond a realistic limit.

Court J.
I am starting my build tomorrow with a BBs02 and a 48t chainring. I am not an aggressive rider and have zero hills to climb but I kind of wish I would have gone with a smaller chainring. Now I need advice as to how to ride this bike. Start out with the largest cog on the cassette (9 gears) and work down makes sense. Lots of peeps seem to think that the HD version is a no brainer, I personally wonder. I could have easily gone either way but for limited use on a flat terrain in FL and not expecting to ever exceed 25mph I thought it was a good choice. Comment?
John

Back