Future Bike Model Proposal: Roadster 800

@Magmir how come you don't like backswept bars?

I hate to say it, but mainly because I've never really used them beyond the random loaner bike somewhere. like most on here I've been riding bikes since I was a kid (40 now), and they've always been flat or riser bars, except for my road bike. I feel like the swept back bars are way less agile and responsive.

since my last post and some more thought I think I'm going to go with the Limited instead. I like the aesthetics a lot more and the increased performance is awesome. I wouldn't ride in the rain so the genders aren't a big deal,I'll just need to get a rack. The lack of built in lights is kind of weird and a bummer though.

Last edited:
Ah I didn't even notice the lack of lights. I get the feeling that this really is a 'Limited' model, something that will be changed after the first run or two.

Looking at the pics, it's not clear if you can even fit fenders without sizing down the tire/wheel, especially on the rear. That probably explains why there aren't any.

The wheel size is the same so I’m guessing the fenders that were on my 700 would fit. I do know there are some issues when shipping with rack/fenders on as that increases the chances of mishap/bent components during shipping. Hoping they can include some on the side if I ask really nicely. I liked the metal ones that came with my other bike.

I think the $1000 base bike in the step through fame - the core 5 they call it - looks like it may be the most important bike in the lineup for first time buyers (most buyers in the real world). Really stripped down to compete on price: no fenders, rack, or lights, but decent specs on what you do get, and upgradeable.

I think the $1000 base bike in the step through fame - the core 5 they call it - looks like it may be the most important bike in the lineup for first time buyers (most buyers in the real world).
I doubt there's much connection between being a first time and budget buyer.

First time buyer = young = broke for mature goods. Ebikes are not mature goods. First time buyers can be of any age and income.

I disagree that first time buyers for Ebikes are young and broke. First time house buyers are, but many affluent boomers and retired folks will be buying their first Ebikes this year.Asher, you have seen the sales projections for Ebikes sales, those are new buyers. They are not going to be thinking of spending four figures on a bike ... at first.

I disagree that first time buyers for Ebikes are young and broke. First time house buyers are, but many affluent boomers and retired folks will be buying their first Ebikes this year.

That was my point. For a product that's been around a while, first time buyers are mostly young and poor. Like with cars. Ebikes have not been around a while so that doesn't apply

"They are not going to be thinking of spending four figures on a bike ... at first."

Think of a guy buying his first suit late in life. Does he shop at Men's Wearhouse because he's never bought a suit before? No, not really. It probably hinges on whether he's someone willing and able to spend on quality. Same for e-bikes.

We may be saying the same thing, hard to tell. I am thinking of someone who has been riding public transit or paying to park a car downtown and wants try an ebike. I don't think that buyer is going to even look at an online only seller of $2000 to $4000 bikes when the only bikes they have seen in years are Wally World or Costco or such. I think a lot of bikes in the USA are going to be priced at or around the $1200 stimulus check - which I still haven't recieved - but thats a different story.

@krdugger
The new models look very enticing. The LMT'D shows a weight of 51 lbs — is that including the battery?
Yep. Battery included. I have the 700 which is 62 but unless you are trying to load it up on a bus or in a truck (which I’ve done) you don’t even notice the weight. Now put a stronger motor, more torque, and 11 pounds lighter; I have a smile on my face already.

Yep. Battery included. I have the 700 which is 62 but unless you are trying to load it up on a bus or in a truck (which I’ve done) you don’t even notice the weight. Now put a stronger motor, more torque, and 11 pounds lighter; I have a smile on my face already.
That's awesome, and considerably lighter than the Rad - while still rated to handle my not-considerably-light 250 lbs.

I've read a lot of positive reviews on the Bafang motors in terms of reliability, not seen much mention of the MXUS. I'm assuming they wouldn't have selected that were it not at least decent. Complete neophyte here, so apologies for the additional questions, but still a reliable (and true-rated) motor? I don't doubt I would appreciate all the HP I can get pushing a 300 lb net weight around...

That's awesome, and considerably lighter than the Rad - while still rated to handle my not-considerably-light 250 lbs.

I've read a lot of positive reviews on the Bafang motors in terms of reliability, not seen much mention of the MXUS. I'm assuming they wouldn't have selected that were it not at least decent. Complete neophyte here, so apologies for the additional questions, but still a reliable (and true-rated) motor? I don't doubt I would appreciate all the HP I can get pushing a 300 lb net weight around...
Biggest thing to remember with a torque sensor is properly shifting so you don’t destroy the chain. I usually use the throttle to bring me up to speed then start pedaling to put less stress on the chain and components. Also, have loved the customer service of Ride1up. They offer a 30 day money back guarantee, free shipping, and usually respond to emails within a few hours.

I believe the topic has centered on the new R1U Limited with bottom bracket torque sensor and rear hub motor. Being rear hub powered, there will be no chain or derailleur stress when shifting. Power is in the hub and needs no momentary switch off while shifting like many midmotor torque sensor bikes use.

I am very happy with my ride1up 500, and have posted reviews here earlier. Ride1up has great value bikes, and I am happy to see them expand their product line. The Limited appears to set a new bar in the under $2500 range, with it's 672 Whr battery, 100 nm torque, 51 lbs, 11-32 cassette, et. al. I'm ordering the 700 ST for my wife for the May 27 pre-order. We looked at RAd City, Aventon and Espin Flow, and I feel the ride1up offerings are a much better bike, and much better value.

I'm not sure about the torque sensor on the Limited, would be interested to hear others views on this.

Why is it so much lighter? I could see the rack, fenders and light accounting for 2-3 lbs, and I'm guessing the fork is lighter.

Why is it so much lighter? I could see the rack, fenders and light accounting for 2-3 lbs, and I'm guessing the fork is lighter.
Not sure but I know they upgraded a lot of little things. My guess would be lighter fork, lighter battery (different than on the 700), higher quality frame, lighter motor? I also wonder if these wheels are tubeless ready? Would love to convert them to lighten it up further.

Is it just me, or did the price for the limited go up $100?

somewhat related, any other bike in this price range I should be considering? I was looking into contacting crazy Lenny to see if he has any good deals, but something about the Ride1up bikes is compelling.

Is it just me, or did the price for the limited go up $100?

somewhat related, any other bike in this price range I should be considering? I was looking into contacting crazy Lenny to see if he has any good deals, but something about the Ride1up bikes is compelling.
Yes, they did. I imagine they got a lot of interest and people saying it was well priced, and that they'd quickly sell out of the June lot, so they might as well raise the price. Maybe future iterations will have some upgrade.

Or some unforeseen issue arose requiring a higher price. Which is doubtful given the timing. It looks like the ship dates moved sooner though...

Last edited:
Yes, they did. I imagine they got a lot of interest and people saying it was well priced, and that they'd quickly sell out of the June lot, so they might as well raise the price. Maybe future iterations will have some upgrade.
Luckily ordered mine day 1. Wish the core-5 was still sub $1000 though. Was thinking about getting one as a loaner.

Back